Baseball Talk

Need support or have a suggestion on how to improve the site? Post it here.
Cheddar Tom
Perennial All-Star

Baseball Talk

Post by Cheddar Tom »

Yes I get it....the Cardinals came up short on Price & Heyward. They signed Mike Leake. They aren't signing players who have draft picks attached to their signings...but can something be done about the tone of Baseball Talk? Every single thread is turning into flippant, caustic remarks and it's lowering this place to Cards Talk levels. You don't have to agree with what the Cards are doing...I sure don't. But every. single. discussion. turns into one condescending remark after another and no actual baseball is discussed.

Just my 2 cents....I'd love to be able to discuss possible amateur signings w/o the same comments over and over again.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: Baseball Talk

Post by lukethedrifter »

ST is coming soon and mrsaigon promised he would stop then. Maybe that helps.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I would love to discuss actual baseball as well. But a lack of offseason activity by the team hasn't left much for me to discuss.

I don't want to speak for everyone as negative/disappointed as me, but I think a good amount of people defending this offseason have been very condescending.

Cheddar Tom
Perennial All-Star

Post by Cheddar Tom »

I don't feel I've been condescending...and if I have it's because I'm usually replying to some sort of snarky, condescending remark that wasn't intended to do anything but incite an argument. Here were the first 3 comments on the international signing period:
Cardinals will be major players in free agency... sign Mike Leake
Mo on the morning of July 2nd: >;)

Mo on the morning of July 3rd: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Spin City
WTF is any of this? Seriously.

But the truth is there are only nine slots in the diamond and we have to see what we have and when have we ever decided we liked a player better than money? Wait... Mike Leake ...
Here was the first comment on Fat's Fowler thread:
Has fielding ten men gone legal? otherwise...
ImageImage

Here's midway through the Gourriel thread (1st page):
Oh good, two more free agents for us to not sign.
Only after a competitive offer though!
already snagged Cuban Brayan Pena - what more can you want?
-no draft pick attached
-fits an immediate need (the older plays 3B [can platoon at 2B as well], which means Marp can move to first)
-the younger is a SS with a nice bat, also an immediate need

Seems like the perfect opportunity, but ultimately it will come down to money so these guys will fall just outside the cardinals comfort zone.
So I'll go out on a limb and say, not only has Moz never heard of these guys. He can't even pronounce their names. Have fun in Chicago, and\or LA.
with an offense like that they can just sign a staff full of Mike Leakes!

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

It's a problem that we have every year. The board basically gets cabin fever. We used to have tourneys to help defuse things, but now we just have a politics thread which is like pouring gasoline on a fire.

That said, condescension is not acceptable. If you feel a poster is out of line please flag it and the mods will take a look.

Cheddar Tom
Perennial All-Star

Post by Cheddar Tom »

Thank you for your response.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Condescending people don't always know they're being condescending. I'm not sure they even mean to do it. That doesn't make it right though.

I admit readily I've been heavy handed in my criticism of this offseason. I won't apologize for it. Simply put, there's not another outlet for it.

A solution I wish I would've thought of earlier than now: make a free agency rage thread. Put it in Baseball Talk, not Rants. Sticky it. Then anything that is just plain snark goes there.