GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently June 21 18, 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
PostPosted: March 13 18, 1:26 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Swirls wrote:
And it continues.

https://thepointsguy.com/2018/03/dog-di ... in-united/

A dog died on a flight from Houston to NYC because the flight attendant forced the passenger to stow her dog in an overhead bin rather than beneath the seat in front of her. The dog was traveling in a TSA-compliant kennel.

i freaking love my dog (and all my dogs that passed on before)...but there is no reason to ever have a dog on a plane with you, unless it's a service dog of some sort. That's just weird. leave it at home with friends/family or have it kenneled.

That being said, there has to be more to this story, right?? a dog should not be put up there, but those storage bins are not air-tight? it obv has the same cabin pressure as the passengers, so what did it die from? freaked out and had a heart attack?

PostPosted: March 13 18, 2:49 pm 
'Burb Boy

cardsfantx wrote:
Swirls wrote:
And it continues.

https://thepointsguy.com/2018/03/dog-di ... in-united/

A dog died on a flight from Houston to NYC because the flight attendant forced the passenger to stow her dog in an overhead bin rather than beneath the seat in front of her. The dog was traveling in a TSA-compliant kennel.

i freaking love my dog (and all my dogs that passed on before)...but there is no reason to ever have a dog on a plane with you, unless it's a service dog of some sort. That's just weird. leave it at home with friends/family or have it kenneled.

That being said, there has to be more to this story, right?? a dog should not be put up there, but those storage bins are not air-tight? it obv has the same cabin pressure as the passengers, so what did it die from? freaked out and had a heart attack?

Speculation but there is air, but not as much air.

Also I'd way rather sit next to a dog than another person.

PostPosted: March 13 18, 2:54 pm 
bronoun enthusiast

Unfortunately saw a pic of the lil bud who died and it was a boston terrier/pug looking thing. Those dogs have respiratory issues. Not a good environment for that kind of dog to get over stressed (obviously).

So don't click links to the NY Post story if you don't want to see a lil dead buddy.

PostPosted: March 13 18, 5:31 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

I hope the flight attendant is fired and that the dog's family gets millions.

PostPosted: March 13 18, 5:44 pm 
Hallelujah Brother

I'm not sure at what point people/airlines thought allowing people to bring animals on planes was a good idea. If this dog dying helps bring an end to that practice then I'm glad it died.

PostPosted: March 13 18, 9:30 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Lol, I wouldn’t go that far, but yes...it’s stupid. It’s a dog, not a human. Leave it at home.

PostPosted: March 14 18, 7:30 am 
Hall Of Famer

G. Keenan wrote:
I hope the flight attendant is fired and that the dog's family gets millions.

While I fault the flight attendant, I'm also going to lay a lot of blame on the dog owner. The carrier was sticking out from under the seat, so the flight attendant instructed the passenger to put it in the overhead bin. That's standard procedure when an attendant sees a bag sticking out. If that's my dog? I'm going to push back on the flight attendant and tell them there's no way I'm placing my dog in the overhead bin. Maybe she did, but I can't imagine the flight attendant not finding a solution to safely house the dog/carrier. My guess in this situation is that the passenger never told the attendant that it was a dog carrier, and simply complied with the instructions to place the bag in the overhead bin.

Let's say that the flight attendant still forced the passenger to put the dog up there. It was a multi-hour flight. Did the passenger never get up from their seat and check on their dog? As a responsible and loving pet owner, there is no way in hell I would not immediately check on my dog once I got the chance (full disclosure--I would have refused to place my dog up there, to the point of walking off the plane if they forced me to). Especially if you hear the dog barking!

Currently I'm going to place the blame at 20% flight attendant, 80% irresponsible dog owner. While I understand there are a lot of jerk flight attendants, there's a larger population of people in this country that are completely irresponsible and clueless pet owners.

PostPosted: March 14 18, 7:49 am 
gone fission

Popeye_Card wrote:
Let's say that the flight attendant still forced the passenger to put the dog up there. It was a multi-hour flight. Did the passenger never get up from their seat and check on their dog? As a responsible and loving pet owner, there is no way in hell I would not immediately check on my dog once I got the chance (full disclosure--I would have refused to place my dog up there, to the point of walking off the plane if they forced me to). Especially if you hear the dog barking!

The last report I read said that there was turbulence the entire flight, so the Captain never took down the "fasten seat belt" sign to allow the passenger to get up and periodically check on the dog. Apparently the dog was barking off and on throughout the flight, and then just stopped barking...

Overhead bins aren't pressurized, but they're also not completely air tight. So air would be in the bin, but it would be quite stagnant. If it was a breed that had inherent nasal/respiratory issues (such as the aforementioned Boston terrier, pug, etc), it's possible they still could have suffocated. It's also possible that being stuck in a [expletive] pitch black overhead bin with a lot of loud noises scared the hell out of the dog and it had some sort of stress-induced heart attack.

No clue if the passenger was simply clueless and not remotely aware of standard commercial aviation protocol, but perhaps after the #bumpgate incident with United, maybe she thought she'd get kicked off the flight if she made a stink. And maybe she thought the dog would be fine in the overhead bin. Even if the subject passenger was clueless, I'm still shocked that none of the other passengers surrounding her piped up and said anything to either her or the flight attendant.

PostPosted: March 14 18, 8:05 am 
Hall Of Famer

Swirls wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:

The last report I read said that there was turbulence the entire flight, so the Captain never took down the "fasten seat belt" sign to allow the passenger to get up and periodically check on the dog. Apparently the dog was barking off and on throughout the flight, and then just stopped barking...

Overhead bins aren't pressurized, but they're also not completely air tight. So air would be in the bin, but it would be quite stagnant. If it was a breed that had inherent nasal/respiratory issues (such as the aforementioned Boston terrier, pug, etc), it's possible they still could have suffocated. It's also possible that being stuck in a [expletive] pitch black overhead bin with a lot of loud noises scared the hell out of the dog and it had some sort of stress-induced heart attack.

No clue if the passenger was simply clueless and not remotely aware of standard commercial aviation protocol, but perhaps after the #bumpgate incident with United, maybe she thought she'd get kicked off the flight if she made a stink. And maybe she thought the dog would be fine in the overhead bin. Even if the subject passenger was clueless, I'm still shocked that none of the other passengers surrounding her piped up and said anything to either her or the flight attendant.

Turbulence or not, I'm getting up to check on my dog. Judging from the photos she was also dealing with her kids on this flight, but still--take care of your dog.

PostPosted: March 14 18, 8:26 am 
Hall Of Famer

I don't know the circumstances but flying with a dog, an infant and a toddler? Wow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next