Getting into shape

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: Getting into shape

Post by Freed Roger »

Am curious of thoughts about public getting in shape goal-announcing -such as on social media etc.

According to some studies -announcing your goal publicly make the goals less likely to happen. See article and links
https://www.outsideonline.com/2291076/s ... s-yourself

IMO this is not same effect for all, and is vastly different from seeking process info a mentor type.

I think the takeaway is - talk is cheap (and getting cheaper with social media). Internalizing the goal, or the process rather, is more important and productive.

I bring this up because seems like every person I know that had success in weight loss/fitness health has come as a surprise to me. They just did it, and impressive as can be. As opposed to some people that seem to frequently adopt a diet or exercise regime publicly, only to end up frustrated.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Yeah, I didn't announce it publicly. I didn't want the pressure if I failed. BUT... my immediate family knew, and my GF and I exchanged scale changes every morning to help keep each other accountable (support without judgement if it goes the wrong way)

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I would never announce a diet to the general public via social media. I started my low carb diet a few days before I found geddy's post.

I do think interactive fat guy support groups like this thread are helpful to trade info and ideas.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Michael wrote:
I do think interactive fat guy support groups like this thread are helpful to trade info and ideas.
For sure.

My struggle is accountablility and finding the elusive balance. I think 95% of this(at least, comes from within) . When I train for something over, say 3 to 4 months, I will bet just a handful of those days was I motivated to train by something or someone wholly external. As far as working out, I probably need more external help/guidance to take rest day etc and not beat myself mentally over it.
When it comes to eating better though, I find i could use more external positive influence.

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

I sold my car and started taking the metrolink to work. It's a half mile from home to the metro, and a half mile from the station to work - About 3,000 steps each way. We've also started doing this 7 minute workout thing at work. I participate in maybe 2 minutes of it.

Man, let me tell you, I knew I was out of shape, but I didn't realize how out of shape until I started trying to do things. I'm 32 and i have leg pains and knee pains and shoulder pains and other pains.

ZigZagCardsFan
Perennial All-Star

Post by ZigZagCardsFan »

I had been chubby since I was a teen. I had lingering pains everywhere whenever I'd try to do anything physical, especially in my knees. I would limp around the day after I played hockey, which I only did once a week as of a few years ago.

Today I barely even notice leg soreness the day after I play. My knees have never felt better. I thought I had done irreversible damage to my body but I'm happy to say that's not the case.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

ZigZagCardsFan wrote:I had been chubby since I was a teen. I had lingering pains everywhere whenever I'd try to do anything physical, especially in my knees. I would limp around the day after I played hockey, which I only did once a week as of a few years ago.

Today I barely even notice leg soreness the day after I play. My knees have never felt better. I thought I had done irreversible damage to my body but I'm happy to say that's not the case.
did you lose weight first?

ZigZagCardsFan
Perennial All-Star

Post by ZigZagCardsFan »

Since my big loss beginning January '17, I've been exercising at some level that whole time. But the more I lost, the more energy I had, and the easier it was for my body to recover. It created a snowball affect for me.

What I tell anyone who wants to lose weight is that it has to start with the diet. The saying goes: 'You can't outrun a poor diet.' The exercise is only about 10% of the equation for most people starting out. What I do is probably overkill and I wouldn't recommend that to anyone early in the process.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

ZigZagCardsFan wrote:Since my big loss beginning January '17, I've been exercising at some level that whole time. But the more I lost, the more energy I had, and the easier it was for my body to recover. It created a snowball affect for me.

What I tell anyone who wants to lose weight is that it has to start with the diet. The saying goes: 'You can't outrun a poor diet.' The exercise is only about 10% of the equation for most people starting out. What I do is probably overkill and I wouldn't recommend that to anyone early in the process.
Yup. Get the diet right and the weight slides off. Then get into exercise. It won't hurt as much, then you'll eventually feel weird if you don't do something physical each day.

One doesn't have to lift and play hockey (or tkd) every day. If people can find a time to walk for an hour a day, it helps a lot.

ZigZagCardsFan
Perennial All-Star

Post by ZigZagCardsFan »

Do any of you take supplements other than the basics?

I currently take a men's multi, a greens supplement, a DHA supplement, an immune system booster, and biotin (probably for no reason) along with protein powder which contains creatine. I'm curious if there's anything else worth taking.