Linux

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Linux

Post by jim »

I've been working with this OS for over 10 years now, and I just can't believe how it is still a "do it yourselfer" OS. I was simply trying to upgrade a package from version 2.2 to 2.4, and ignored warnings from my colleagues to just reinstall the whole OS because of all the dependencies break. Two days later, here I am wiping my system completely clean and reinstalling a new version of the OS just to get this one package to work.

Of course, I have all sorts of oddball packages that I have to download and install. OpenSource sucks, it's just a pile of code thrown in a gazillion places with no documentation and it's up to you to find the one that might actually install ok.

If anyone knows which magic version of ZODB might actually work, and where I download it from, feel free to let me know. On top of 2 days of frustration getting the initial package upgraded by reinstalling the OS, I'm now wrestling with this stupid thing.

I was a big proponent of this OS when it first came out, but unfortunately it's just a complicated pile of dog doo because the majority of people working on it are like Steve:

http://www.ubergeek.tv/article.php?pid=54

Michael
GRB Founder

Re: Linux

Post by Michael »

I fully endorse this rant. Unless you are running certain types of servers stay away.

jim

Post by jim »

Little things like an uninstall would be nice. I installed ZODB and it installs about 5 different things (ZConfig, zdaemon...) but you don't know that. I mean, I know that because I've installed it 100 times, but if it's your first time you have no idea. No uninstall to clean this out if you want to start over, you just go in by hand and delete everything. Oh, there is an "ZOPEUNDO" directory, but if you are thinking it's an undo in the sense of installation you would be mistaken. There are files scattered all over, because I've done it enough there is about a 40% chance that I really will be going with a clean install next time. Probably not, but a good enough chance to hope.

ZODB provides a test suite to run. I've never once seen it work. Ever. Generally when the readme says to build it, then test it, then install it and I get some stack dumps out of the test, I would be alarmed. I mean the tests fail in glorious ways, with stack traces and such. But, because I've installed it 100 times, I now know that you just ignore the tests. In fact, there is no reason to run them.

Kiss my butt Steve.

Off to grab some version from some place and see if it does any better and doesn't create some security hole in my system that you could drive a truck through. Wish me luck.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

jim wrote:Off to grab some version from some place and see if it does any better and doesn't create some security hole in my system that you could drive a truck through. Wish me luck.
Guess it's a good thing you aren't at Argonne. Good luck.

jim

Post by jim »

Magically, by taking the 3.2.6 version instead of the 3.2.10 version, it worked. Got through the apache stuff ok, now apparently my app is missing one more package.

I'll wait until tomorrow. I'm unplugging the network cable because I really don't know for sure and don't want to spend an hour here tonight figuring out if it's secure or not.