GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently March 24 19, 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: RAVE: Memphis
PostPosted: February 9 09, 12:02 pm 
Offline
is eerily well-versed on Project Runway and irony

Joined: June 26 06, 3:07 pm
Posts: 8521
Memphis is a [expletive] hole.

I'm not saying I'm better than it, or that it doesn't have some pockets of redeeming quality, or that I don't visit the city every so often myself.

... but overall, it's a run down, dirty, segregated, crime ridden and corrupt [expletive] hole.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RAVE: Memphis
PostPosted: February 9 09, 2:12 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: October 28 06, 11:10 pm
Posts: 14759
Location: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT
maddash wrote:
Memphis is a [expletive] hole.

I'm not saying I'm better than it, or that it doesn't have some pockets of redeeming quality, or that I don't visit the city every so often myself.

... but overall, it's a run down, dirty, segregated, crime ridden and corrupt [expletive] hole.

Outside of Beale was scary (and on Beale once you go outside of the blocked off area), but in that area of Beale it was nice, and it was nice seeing the lack of segregation. I was expecting just a bunch of white college kids, but there was every race and every age (mostly above 21 though).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RAVE: Memphis
PostPosted: February 9 09, 3:35 pm 
Offline
Perennial All-Star

Joined: May 23 06, 11:56 am
Posts: 4812
Location: Memphis, TN
maddash wrote:
Memphis is a [expletive] hole.

I'm not saying I'm better than it, or that it doesn't have some pockets of redeeming quality, or that I don't visit the city every so often myself.

... but overall, it's a run down, dirty, segregated, crime ridden and corrupt [expletive] hole.


Uh, actually no it is not. There are places like that, just like every other city.

Every city has it's share of corruption, poor, and crime. Memphis is no stranger to that. But the downtown, midtown, East Memphis areas are nice. I've lived here 5 years now and it's certainly more palatable than your rant.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RAVE: Memphis
PostPosted: February 9 09, 4:05 pm 
Offline
is eerily well-versed on Project Runway and irony

Joined: June 26 06, 3:07 pm
Posts: 8521
Faceman wrote:
maddash wrote:
Memphis is a [expletive] hole.

I'm not saying I'm better than it, or that it doesn't have some pockets of redeeming quality, or that I don't visit the city every so often myself.

... but overall, it's a run down, dirty, segregated, crime ridden and corrupt [expletive] hole.


Uh, actually no it is not. There are places like that, just like every other city.

Every city has it's share of corruption, poor, and crime. Memphis is no stranger to that. But the downtown, midtown, East Memphis areas are nice. I've lived here 5 years now and it's certainly more palatable than your rant.


Like I said, it's not without it's redeeming areas... but to say "every city has it's share of corruption, poor, and crime" understates Memphis' very real and documented problems. And I live in St. Louis, so I'd like to think I have a small idea of urban plight.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RAVE: Memphis
PostPosted: February 9 09, 5:46 pm 
Offline
Perennial All-Star

Joined: May 18 06, 10:09 pm
Posts: 9705
Location: East of the middle of West Tennessee
maddash wrote:
Faceman wrote:
maddash wrote:
Memphis is a [expletive] hole.

I'm not saying I'm better than it, or that it doesn't have some pockets of redeeming quality, or that I don't visit the city every so often myself.

... but overall, it's a run down, dirty, segregated, crime ridden and corrupt [expletive] hole.


Uh, actually no it is not. There are places like that, just like every other city.

Every city has it's share of corruption, poor, and crime. Memphis is no stranger to that. But the downtown, midtown, East Memphis areas are nice. I've lived here 5 years now and it's certainly more palatable than your rant.


Like I said, it's not without it's redeeming areas... but to say "every city has it's share of corruption, poor, and crime" understates Memphis' very real and documented problems. And I live in St. Louis, so I'd like to think I have a small idea of urban plight.



Face, I grew up out in Bartlett back in the 60's, and still live in the Memphis area, and I can see where Maddash is coming from. Anyone who is familiar with the Ford family political machine, the corruption of the Herenton administration, and sees the Memphis news on a regular basis knows that the city is on a downward spiral. Truthfully, I'm not comfortable taking my family there anymore, unless it is out east. That said, Memphis is a pretty special place, especially when it comes to it's music heritage.

What part of town do you live in, Faceman?



Found this from the Memphis Commercial Appeal:

Quote:
Memphis has come in second — after Stockton, Calif. — in Forbes magazine’s annual ranking of “America’s Most Miserable Cities.”

It’s hard to believe, but our town beat out Chicago for the No. 2 spot.

The ranking considers commute times, corruption, pro sports teams, Superfund sites, taxes (both income and sales), unemployment, violent crime and weather (Hey, we can’t do anything about that!).


As the magazine points out, we have the second-highest crime rate in the country (behind Detroit), public corruption to beat the band and an “onerous” sales tax.

Reporter Kurt Badenhausen really let himself go on the Grizzlies.

“Pro sports has been a mess in Memphis in recent years as well,” he writes in the article that’s on the magazine’s Web site, Forbes.com.

“The city's lone major franchise, the Memphis Grizzlies, has lost 74 percent of its games during the past three years, the worst in the NBA.”

We do score points for not having a state tax on earned income. And there’s a tip of the hat to FedEx, our biggest employer.

The other miserable cities on the list, counting down from No. 4, are Cleveland, Ohio; Modesto, Calif.; Flint, Mich.; Detroit, Buffalo, N.Y.; Miami and St. Louis.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RAVE: Memphis
PostPosted: February 9 09, 8:08 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: October 28 06, 11:10 pm
Posts: 14759
Location: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT
Spider John wrote:
maddash wrote:
Faceman wrote:
maddash wrote:
Memphis is a [expletive] hole.

I'm not saying I'm better than it, or that it doesn't have some pockets of redeeming quality, or that I don't visit the city every so often myself.

... but overall, it's a run down, dirty, segregated, crime ridden and corrupt [expletive] hole.


Uh, actually no it is not. There are places like that, just like every other city.

Every city has it's share of corruption, poor, and crime. Memphis is no stranger to that. But the downtown, midtown, East Memphis areas are nice. I've lived here 5 years now and it's certainly more palatable than your rant.


Like I said, it's not without it's redeeming areas... but to say "every city has it's share of corruption, poor, and crime" understates Memphis' very real and documented problems. And I live in St. Louis, so I'd like to think I have a small idea of urban plight.



Face, I grew up out in Bartlett back in the 60's, and still live in the Memphis area, and I can see where Maddash is coming from. Anyone who is familiar with the Ford family political machine, the corruption of the Herenton administration, and sees the Memphis news on a regular basis knows that the city is on a downward spiral. Truthfully, I'm not comfortable taking my family there anymore, unless it is out east. That said, Memphis is a pretty special place, especially when it comes to it's music heritage.

What part of town do you live in, Faceman?



Found this from the Memphis Commercial Appeal:

Quote:
Memphis has come in second — after Stockton, Calif. — in Forbes magazine’s annual ranking of “America’s Most Miserable Cities.”

It’s hard to believe, but our town beat out Chicago for the No. 2 spot.

The ranking considers commute times, corruption, pro sports teams, Superfund sites, taxes (both income and sales), unemployment, violent crime and weather (Hey, we can’t do anything about that!).


As the magazine points out, we have the second-highest crime rate in the country (behind Detroit), public corruption to beat the band and an “onerous” sales tax.

Reporter Kurt Badenhausen really let himself go on the Grizzlies.

“Pro sports has been a mess in Memphis in recent years as well,” he writes in the article that’s on the magazine’s Web site, Forbes.com.

“The city's lone major franchise, the Memphis Grizzlies, has lost 74 percent of its games during the past three years, the worst in the NBA.”

We do score points for not having a state tax on earned income. And there’s a tip of the hat to FedEx, our biggest employer.

The other miserable cities on the list, counting down from No. 4, are Cleveland, Ohio; Modesto, Calif.; Flint, Mich.; Detroit, Buffalo, N.Y.; Miami and St. Louis.

I'm shocked Cincinnati didn't beat out some of those cities. It's been ranked the fastest declining city in the US just a few years back and has an incredibly high homicide rate.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RAVE: Memphis
PostPosted: February 10 09, 7:56 am 
Offline
Perennial All-Star

Joined: May 23 06, 11:56 am
Posts: 4812
Location: Memphis, TN
Exactly. You'd expect Cincinnati on that list. And it's hard to imagine Miami is. Those lists are what they are, one person's take based on a certain set of ideas.

I live downtown, and do not live with a fear of anything - other than getting asked for the occasional handout.

I agree with the corruption of the gov't. This town will never vote Herenton out of office it seems. There are very well known issues in Memphis government.

But every city has those things. Just because other politicians might be better at hiding their laundry, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Herenton and Ford are idiots.

You want to say there are bad parts of Memphis? Fine. I agree. Call it a "curse word hole" based on limited knowledge of limited parts of town? That's ignorant and wrong. I've lived in St. Louis as well and I do not refer to St. Louis as a hole because of the north end of town, or south county, etc.

Calling Memphis "crime ridden" is kinda pot calling kettle black considering St. Louis beat out Detroit for "most dangerous city in the U.S.", no? Memphis 13, St. Louis, 1.

http://www.statestats.com/cit07pop.htm

I'd also like to see anything that shows Memphis is "segregated".

Memphis has it's problems. I'd rather live other places I'm sure. That said, there are plenty of good people here.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RAVE: Memphis
PostPosted: February 10 09, 10:13 am 
Offline
Perennial All-Star

Joined: May 18 06, 10:09 pm
Posts: 9705
Location: East of the middle of West Tennessee
It's true that all cities have certain areas that need to be avoided, and Memphis is no different. And there's definitely a lot of good people there.

It's been amazing to watch some would call "white flight" , which is really just folks of all races leaving the city. When I lived in Bartlett it was a very small town that didn't even border the Memphis city limits. The Wolf Chase area was just woodlands, and Eads was just a wide spot in the road with one old country store.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RAVE: Memphis
PostPosted: August 14 18, 9:52 am 
Offline
darjeeling sipping elite
User avatar

Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Posts: 35915
Location: Huis Clos
My wife is taking me to Memphis for a couple of days for my birthday. Suggestions?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RAVE: Memphis
PostPosted: August 14 18, 10:18 am 
Offline
Consider him admonished
User avatar

Joined: March 25 15, 9:59 am
Posts: 7760
Location: Charleston, SC via Arkansas
lukethedrifter wrote:
My wife is taking me to Memphis for a couple of days for my birthday. Suggestions?

Cliche, but Rendezvous.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group