cancer

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Re: cancer

Post by stlouie_lipp »

Good news, IMA. I am somewhat convinced the radiation my Dad received to treat his prostate cancer led to his blood cancer.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Hope all turns out well, Ima.

My neighbor is a 70 some odd year old type 1 diabetic who has been that way for 50+ years. He's got kidney issues, congestive heart failure, diabetes, and was just diagnosed with prostate cancer which spread to his lymph nodes. Due to the kidney thing, he can't do anything for it other than surgery to remove it which he does on the 29th of this month. He said the docs told him, even worst case scenario, something else will get him before the cancer does. So, he's not too worried.

Saying all that, you'd expect to see some frail old person. But, he's pretty damn robust. Doesn't move around too fast, but he's damn healthy looking, except for being a bit overweight, and sharp as a tack. It wouldn't surprise me if he lived another decade.

Anyway, I say all that to say this. His [insert number that is concerning when elevated for prostate cancer] has been elevated for 5ish years now without ever getting too high. They finally did a biopsy on it and found out it was in fact cancer. Dudes been living with it for that long without any adverse side affects thus far.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

The cemetery called to let me know that my Dad's headstone had been received and put in place. I head up there this afternoon to take a look. When I get there and park my car off the little pathway I look up and what do I see? A cardinal flying onto a branch in a tree about 15 feet in front of me. Sat there and chirped. Makes you wonder sometimes.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

stlouie_lipp wrote:The cemetery called to let me know that my Dad's headstone had been received and put in place. I head up there this afternoon to take a look. When I get there and park my car off the little pathway I look up and what do I see? A cardinal flying onto a branch in a tree about 15 feet in front of me. Sat there and chirped. Makes you wonder sometimes.

That's pretty cool.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

We lost a great husband, father, friend, believer, Cardinals fan and Hog fan this early morning after a 3 year battle with leukemia in Mercy Hospital in Saint Louis. My best friend since the age of 5 gave cancer all he had and more. He never quit caring for others as this horrific disease ravaged his body. Getting to see him take his wife and kids to Cards games as they visited from Arkansas while he was getting treatment brought a smile to my face.

I will be running in a 5K later this fall for leukemia research and I will make this a yearly priority in my life.

I love him and miss him already.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Sorry to hear that Tim.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I'm really sorry for your loss. I do love to hear about people who take on all the pain that comes with a brutal physical battle and still live life. I'm inspired by it and just hope I would handle my life the same.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Sorry to hear it Tim.

planet planet
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy

Post by planet planet »

Tim, I am so sorry you lost your friend. I think Luke expressed it best; make the most of life for yourself and your family. He sounds like a very impressive guy. Again, I'm very sorry. Cancer is awful disease when you're on the losing side. Fight can only go so far and I hate it!

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

My wife's best friend lost her husband yesterday. I never met him, but hear he was a good guy. A Cardinals fan, so he had to be ok. Anyway, they found out that he had pancreatic cancer about a year ago. From what I know about that, it is never good. But for some reason they had hoped that it could be treated. About a week ago it took a turn for the worst. He will be buried on Saturday.

And to Lipp and anyone else...my best friend had a year quite a few years ago. He was an only child. Lost his mother in her sleep one night, very unexpected, got married and divorced, and lost his father to emphysema all within a year. I don't know how he could handle all that but he did. Anyway, he remarried a few years later in a town 100 miles from where his parents are buried. When we left, he asked if we could put some wedding flowers on their graves, because that is where we lived. It rained all day. Hard rain. Got to the cemetery, threw on a jacket and all of a sudden the rain stopped and the sun came out. We laid the flowers down and before we got back to the car, the clouds closed and it started raining again. Weird. I don't really believe in all that kind of thing, but I saw what I saw. And so did my wife.