cancer

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Swingingbunt
All-Star

Re: cancer

Post by Swingingbunt »

My mom had 600 mL of fluid drained from around her heart this morning. They found more fluid around her lungs. She has cancer cells in her lungs, lymphs, and spine. All of this has happened since her last checkup. They're doing tests to determine the kind of cancer...but it doesn't look good. This sucks. My sister lost her dad (my stepdad) 7 years ago...I don't think we're ready for this...

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

sorry to hear the news bunt

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

Jeez. That's hard to swallow Bunt. I wish you and your family the best.

Swingingbunt
All-Star

Post by Swingingbunt »

Thanks guys. The preliminary diagnosis is non small cell lung cancer which has spread to at least the lymph nodes and spine. They won't say whether or not it's operable, treatable, or terminal at this point...buy my aunt who is a very good RN says it's not good at all. We are supposed to know more by the end of the day tomorrow.

I went in to talk to my mom, and all she could say was that she had to be okay because we have to dance at my wedding in 11 weeks. Ugh...

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

Well that's a rough one. I can't do anything from here but lend my internet support, which I am. Hang in there.

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

Swingingbunt wrote:Thanks guys. The preliminary diagnosis is non small cell lung cancer which has spread to at least the lymph nodes and spine. They won't say whether or not it's operable, treatable, or terminal at this point...buy my aunt who is a very good RN says it's not good at all. We are supposed to know more by the end of the day tomorrow.

I went in to talk to my mom, and all she could say was that she had to be okay because we have to dance at my wedding in 11 weeks. Ugh...
Hang in there. I lost my mother suddenly, but not unexpectedly (if that makes any sense), in early January. It was a huge consolation that she got to spend some time with Little Hungary before she died. She was really thrilled about him. She went out on a good note.

I hope there are some special, memorable moments for your mother ahead. If she is approaching the end of her days, I hope she has some great times and great memories to take with her.

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

Leroy wrote:Well that's a rough one. I can't do anything from here but lend my internet support, which I am. Hang in there.
Seconded. Sorry Bunt, keep your head up.

Swingingbunt
All-Star

Post by Swingingbunt »

Again, thanks folks.
Sometimes it's easier to let my emotions out on a board than it is in front of my family. My dad isn't around anymore, so I'm kind of expected to keep my wits about me during this whole thing.
Mom did awesome last night. She has a tube near her heart where they've drained 1.5 LITERS of fluid out over the last two days. She also has a chest tube in where they've drained another 600 mL of fluid out in the last 18 hours. She's finally stable after a very scary few hours yesterday afternoon where I thought we may lose her.
All I want is for her at this point is to have a real chance to fight the cancer - which isn't going to be any cake walk - and the docs are working really hard to make sure she gets that chance. She's in better spirits today, too. She's been her usual witty, sarcastic self...which is a great change. Her only focus right now is getting to my wedding day, which brings real tears of joy to my eyes. I need to find a goal for her after that 11 weeks has passed! :)

Swingingbunt
All-Star

Post by Swingingbunt »

Hungary Jack wrote: Hang in there. I lost my mother suddenly, but not unexpectedly (if that makes any sense), in early January. It was a huge consolation that she got to spend some time with Little Hungary before she died. She was really thrilled about him. She went out on a good note.

I hope there are some special, memorable moments for your mother ahead. If she is approaching the end of her days, I hope she has some great times and great memories to take with her.
It makes perfect sense HJ, sorry to bring back any rough memories.
I hope that the very soon to be Mrs. and I can give my mom that same joy before she leaves us.

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

Swingingbunt wrote:
Hungary Jack wrote: Hang in there. I lost my mother suddenly, but not unexpectedly (if that makes any sense), in early January. It was a huge consolation that she got to spend some time with Little Hungary before she died. She was really thrilled about him. She went out on a good note.

It makes perfect sense HJ, sorry to bring back any rough memories.
I hope that the very soon to be Mrs. and I can give my mom that same joy before she leaves us.
No worries. I have nothing but great memories of my mom. It was a blessing to have her die at home with my Dad and go painlessly and peacefully. I think I spent more time worrying about a long drawn-out decline that would really make her suffer. She had a magical life, but had suffered enough too.

I hope things turn out in a very similar way for you. Dying is such a part of life, but I think our society teaches us to fear it. Try to help her make a peaceful, love-filled transition if this is indeed her fate. Try to have faith in that.