Newly elect Gov. Scott Walker (WI)

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
UK
Perennial All-Star

Re: Newly elect Gov. Scott Walker (WI)

Post by UK »

Walker's campaign did a smart thing by not further challenging the recall and speeding up the election process, given the John Doe investigation and limiting future publicity for his opponent.

The Democrats should be concentrating on getting their candidate out there and highlight his corruption and education gutting agenda.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

UK wrote: Having lived in IL during Ryan's and Blago's tenures, Walker makes those two seem like they tore tags off of mattresses.
He has the corruption of those guys down pat, but seems like he's more akin to Gov George Wallace at the schoolhouse door.
And Lord help us if we lose. If we lose, I believe that it will set acts of courage in politics back at least a decade if not a generation. This is why we must not lose.
-Scott Walker addressing CPAC- latest GOP ball-scatcher meeting.

UK
Perennial All-Star

Post by UK »

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/140747123.html

Former U.S. Sen. Russ Feingold beat Walker 53% to 45% in the survey by North Carolina-based Public Policy Polling. But Feingold has said he will not run, and a matchup between Walker and other Democrats would be extremely close.

The poll of 900 Wisconsin voters was conducted Thursday through Sunday. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.27 percentage points.

Three of Walker’s potential opponents were ahead of him in the poll, and five others trailed him slightly:

- Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett led Walker 49% to 46%;

- Former Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk led Walker 48% to 47%;

- U.S. Rep. Ron Kind of La Crosse lead Walker 46% to 45%;

- Walker led former U.S. Rep. Dave Obey of Wausau 47% to 45%;

- Walker led state Sen. Jon Erpenbach of Middleton 47% to 44%;

- Walker led Assembly Minority Leader Peter Barca of Kenosha 48% to 46%;

- Walker led Secretary of State Doug La Follette 46% to 45%;

- Walker led state Sen. Kathleen Vinehout 46% to 44%

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

UK
Perennial All-Star

Post by UK »

He basically has the same economic policy that Romney is trying to implement nationally if he becomes President. Unattainable revenue generating tax breaks for corporations and the wealthy to be paid for by the middle class thru cuts to benefits and retirement packages (my wife was just notified of changes to her retirement program as a state worker).

It's a complete failure and why Wisconsin has been the least productive state in the union during his tenure.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

UK wrote:He basically has the same economic policy that Romney is trying to implement nationally if he becomes President. Unattainable revenue generating tax breaks for corporations and the wealthy to be paid for by the middle class thru cuts to benefits and retirement packages (my wife was just notified of changes to her retirement program as a state worker).

It's a complete failure and why Wisconsin has been the least productive state in the union during his tenure.
Which is why it matters so much to the tea/douche-baggers to keep their beachhead in WI. The outstate gazillionaires pour millions into Walker etal's coffers, but no jobs come with it.

If they are able to keep Walker in office, and they are pulling out all the stops to do so - woe be the nation.
Goodbye public ed. Hello McCharter schools.

UK
Perennial All-Star

Post by UK »

Nationally, we could see stuff like this try and get passed.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2 ... d-neglect/

Section 1. 48.982 (2) (g) 2. of the statutes is amended to read: 48.982 (2) (g) 2. Promote statewide educational and public awareness campaigns and materials for the purpose of developing public awareness of the problems of child abuse and neglect. In promoting those campaigns and materials, the board shall emphasize nonmarital parenthood as a contributing factor to child abuse and neglect.

Section 2. 48.982 (2) (g) 4. of the statutes is amended to read: 48.982 (2) (g) 4. Disseminate information about the problems of and methods of preventing child abuse and neglect to the public and to organizations concerned with those problems. In disseminating that information, the board shall emphasize nonmarital parenthood as a contributing factor to child abuse and neglect.

Damn those single parent abusers...

UK
Perennial All-Star

Post by UK »

Couple of interesting tidbits here in WI yesterday:

(HJ might be interested in this one)

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/ ... 68193.html

Despite being a Democrat, I supported further exploration into the project and would have seen data gathered from the DNR, EPA, ACOE, etc to determine how much of a risk would be present to the water table and land structure.

Having spent many Summers up in the UP (Ironwood) having hiked and kayaked most of the region, I understand and know the beauty of the land but I also see the economic despair. To me, the economic boost would outweigh the risks (assuming the various gov't agencies approved it).

I do find hypocritical the WI GOP is crying about jobs after Walker killed the high-speed rail project and although that would've been paid for w/public money, the money would've been much better spent on that than tax breaks for his cronies.

http://www.postcrescent.com/article/201 ... t|APC-News

WI passed the voter ID law, *(which in theory I support) based on the principles of voter suppression rather than trying to eliminate voter fraud has been overturned by a judge who signed a recall petition against Scott Walker. I do find it to be a conflict of interest for him. Although, I'm torn b/c I don't support the law given it's intentions, I don't like the way it was handled.

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

As someone who vacations up there, I opposed the mining bill, but I realize the economic straits the UP/Rhineland is in. It is pretty depressed up there.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

The Florida mining company has quit on the mine. Was glad to hear it.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/ ... 68193.html

I've never been up that far in WI -am going to Green Lake area by oshkosh for a family getaway this summer.

My bro was duly impressed with the beauty of far North Wisconsin - some place called Potato Falls looked pretty cool. The economics - again, I don't know - we have a similar beautiful area down in Southern MO, but very poor-such as Iron County, Reynolds County - and it has been mined extensively - so a mine isn't necessarily a long-term economic plus -well it tends to be for the company, but for everyone else.... I also think about the failed Ameren Taum Sauk project, ... that could have been real bad.
Then there are the after effects of Doe Run. Nationally, take a look at Butte MT and it's history - yikes.

I'm guessing the tourism side can be exploited more up there and down south of here. Maybe some more use fees collected and left in the region somehow. I haven't given it much thought. But as you guys who like to get outside know - there are less and less places that are generally unspoiled. And more and more middle aged kids like us that want to get there. As time goes by, there is value in that.

Worth mentioning, we have a pretty nice park on the Katy Trail called Klondike Park which is land reclaimed from a mining op- silica sand for glass.
http://parks.sccmo.org/parks/index.php? ... =view&id=7
250 acres is small by modern standards of mining op - but still-it's a nice place. Not saying you can do that with all mining ops though.

But back to Walker and Fitzgerald- the stories UK link indicate the level of tension in the state. Those guys are about as trustworthy as Blagojevich. There was a Fitzgerald comment on the corp leaving the plan - something akin to "we had $3 million already into this project..." was more than a freudian slip. They are unabashedly in cahoots with these companies.