Getting into shape

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Tim
Consider him admonished

Re: Getting into shape

Post by Tim »

When I get back from Togo I am committing to eating a paleo diet until at least the 5K I am running in April.

Anyone had any experience eating a paleo diet? Tricks or tips?

I am sober from Monster Energy drinks for a week. Been difficult and find myself wanting to mix in a Sprite Zero for the carbonation, but I was consuming way too much caffeine. I've cut that down drastically already and should be off of it in two weeks.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Been doing paleo for years. Tips and tricks... lets see... tons of veggies taste really good when coated with a little oil, garlic, salt and pepper and just roasted. (broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, root veggies, green beans, etc.) Stop boiling things and roast that [expletive] until just a bit singed. (Actually, yall should do that) You're welcome.

When you first convert, eat really clean for 3 weeks. Don't cheat at all. You will be very hungry and crave sugar and grains until the bacteria in your gut that feeds on that dies out. If you cheat, it takes longer to kill those suckers and you will crave every cupcake someone brings into work. Your appetite will adjust and you will stop craving those things, even when hungry. You will also be able to eat a lot and still lose weight because veggies have very few calories, lots of nutrients, and protein is filling.

You'll also stop being hangry and have less gas and you won't have that post meal sleep/brain shutdown anymore. Enjoy that.

Be careful with fruit. It has more sugar than you think, especially when you're first adjusting. Limit yourself to one-two pieces a day when you don't train.

Especially at first, don't make paleo versions of desserts/breads/pasta/whatever. Its a lot of effort for (often) little reward. Once you're past the 3 weeks cravings stage, its easier to deal. Paleo desserts are deceptive. Honey and maple syrup are technically legal, but watch your sugar count.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

That’s awesome thanks

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

JCShutout wrote:Been doing paleo for years. Tips and tricks... lets see... tons of veggies taste really good when coated with a little oil, garlic, salt and pepper and just roasted. (broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, root veggies, green beans, etc.) Stop boiling things and roast that [expletive] until just a bit singed. (Actually, yall should do that) You're welcome.

When you first convert, eat really clean for 3 weeks. Don't cheat at all. You will be very hungry and crave sugar and grains until the bacteria in your gut that feeds on that dies out. If you cheat, it takes longer to kill those suckers and you will crave every cupcake someone brings into work. Your appetite will adjust and you will stop craving those things, even when hungry. You will also be able to eat a lot and still lose weight because veggies have very few calories, lots of nutrients, and protein is filling.

You'll also stop being hangry and have less gas and you won't have that post meal sleep/brain shutdown anymore. Enjoy that.

Be careful with fruit. It has more sugar than you think, especially when you're first adjusting. Limit yourself to one-two pieces a day when you don't train.

Especially at first, don't make paleo versions of desserts/breads/pasta/whatever. Its a lot of effort for (often) little reward. Once you're past the 3 weeks cravings stage, its easier to deal. Paleo desserts are deceptive. Honey and maple syrup are technically legal, but watch your sugar count.
Killer tip. I did broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, and carrots tonight. Used olive oil, garlic, pepper, and some all purpose seasoning. No salt because I'm trying to cut it. It was great. I maybe could have went a little longer for my carrots but damn that was good. Thanks for the tip. I'd always steamed my veggies.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I used to hate asparagus as a kid. Now it is one of my absolutely favorite things. The reason is most likely because all of the asparagus I had as a kid was from a can. Now it is one of my favorite foods. Thanks to you guys I'm sitting here craving asparagus and roasted vegetables even though I literally just finished breakfast three minutes ago.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Since watching sugar intake -amazing how sneaky that [expletive] is. I knew most fruit juices are like a soda. But liptons iced green tea 27grams? I will be damned if I will drink something that tastes lousy AND isnt healthy.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i'm usually carrots, sweet potatoes, and bell pepper/cucumber for my sides but i bought some broccoli this week and man it's making me fart up a storm.

i'm up to an hour each day of exercise (2 hours on weekends), split between 5 sets of some various weights, 5 sets of various cardio movements. had been 4 sets of each so i'm glad to increase it though i feel like i may be plateauing in some areas...yet i've got 2 25lb dumbbells that i'm using and they still aren't like super easy to use for me. i keep thinking "this should feel easier" and i mean technically it is but it still feels heavy and i feel like i should be lifting more? i've got veins and muscle i never knew i had and i'm not really trying to add bulk but i do feel like i'm still weak with strength.

i think i've drank maybe...around, 12 times since feb? i still think reducing the booze is a big thing, for me. just yesterday i was thinking i've probably saved around $100 so far this year from not buying either.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

I don't usually like to boast or call attention to myself, but today for the first time in over a decade, my scale read a number that started with a 2. For those of you who've met me, you know I have always been a big dude. I probably hit 200 lbs in 8th grade. I was probably close to 300 by the end of high school. There was a period of time before my second mini-wrox came along that I was down around 280, but after she was born everything diet-wise fell to sh!t and I was on a slow-but-steady upward climb. I topped out around 380 (that I know of) a few years ago. I started to cut out things like bread and pasta, and that helped, but I was still hovering around 350 lbs this past fall & early winter.

In the middle of December, I started eating Keto. The first couple of months, the weight just fell off. It was incredible. And it has continued to come off, albeit slower now (this is typical of people who succeed with Keto-based eating).

Anyway, I am incredibly proud of myself today, and wanted to toot my horn a bit. I think I'm going to get a tattoo to commemorate my success and to remind myself to never ever go back to the way things were.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

That's awesome!

Sounds like we both started around the same max weight. Took different roads to get there but we're both much better off now.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Way to go fellers!