Michael
GRB Founder

Re: Getting into shape

Post by Michael »

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

So, anyone doing Keto or any low-carb variations... I had heard going in that weight loss isn't linear, it's a roller coaster... but as long as the trend line is in the right direction, stick with what you're doing. You can't freak out if you go up a couple pounds after eating well the day before (which I've done many times, LOL). They were right about it not being linear... here's my 6-month and 1-year charts...

I had a rough summer where not much happened on the scale, but it's moving in the right direction again. A little slower than winter/spring, but I'll take it. As people get closer to their goal weight, progress tends to slow like that.

Anyway, as they say, keep calm & keto on.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Congrats on your success, Geddy! I'm super grateful for your posts in this thread!

I get the same rollercoaster weight loss. Recently I was stuck around 192 for like 2-3 weeks then one day I dropped down to 190 and the weight strayed off.

Like you, my weight loss has slowed, but some of that has to increased snacking and reduced activity due to the weather. However, I'm fine with that. I'm around 189 now and I look pretty good (46 pounds lost). In fact, I'm close enough to my goal weight that I completely upgraded my wardrobe, which felt awesome. I'd like to get down to 180ish, but I'm not in any rush. Going forward if I can average around .5 pounds of weight loss a week i'll be happy.

Also, with this diet I was a little concerned with my cholesterol, but I'm also happy to report I got a rockin' 178 score last month. I'm sure genetics helped me there. My doctor said "whatever you're doing keep doing it". Sounds good to me

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Ok, after some thought and a lot of reading, I'm going to give keto a real try. After losing down to 198 at one point (with crazy training for a tournament, more like 205-208 normally), I got up to 215 after an injury kept me from moving for like 4 months, and have been on a strength gain kick for awhile, intentionally increasing weight. At 223/224 I look and feel strong, but I think I'm ready to cut a bit and see where it lands me.

I tried reducing carbs to 75g or less awhile ago (aiming for under 50), but found I had no energy in taekwondo. Reupped carbs (not crazy, more like 75-150 ish/day, normal paleo) and endurance was back. Recent reading I've found that the dip in performance should last 4-6 weeks before my body fully converts to fat burning, at which point, endurance isn't a problem. (maybe the occasional extra 30-40 carbs on heavy workout days AFTER the first 4-6 weeks) I'd like to lose that last bit o belly fat if possible.

So I found a macro calculator, realized its about net carbs (which is better because much of my carbs comes from nuts, half ish of which is fiber, so that make it MUCH easier), and I realized that when I cut carbs earlier, I also needed to add way more fat.

So my goals will be... (first goal, then okay range for safe weight loss through weight maintenance in parenthesis)

2242 calories (1126-2802)
35g net carbs (25-50)
150g protein (100-166)
167g fat (43-229)

If I can maintain that, I should be around 215 in Feb, with bodyfat in the low 20s if I'm estimating correctly from comparison pics. We'll see if it works.

Geddy, you're our expert, any suggestions, critiques, ideas, etc?

Thinking of starting with a 24 hour fast that first day. Just did one earlier this week. 24 hours isn't difficult. Read somewhere that it helps that first week. I don't think the change will be overly difficult as I already eat a lower carb, moderate fat diet. Its mostly about removing stuff like bananas, plantains, and sweet potatoes and replacing with fat and I should be fine. I already get around 140-170g protein/day.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

Your macros seem reasonable. I think you'll be fat adapted in closer to 4 weeks than 6. Also, keto flu is a thing. Drink lots lof water and get your electrolytes!

The first week or two i did it, i didn't even worry about calories. I was just staying under 25 carbs. After I got the hang of that I started paying attention to calories and macros. I think I would've been overwhelmed if I had tried to do it all at once.

Also, I would ease into the intermittent fasting. A lot of people say to get used to eating keto first. Then add in IF. I am 16/8 IF most days now too. I don't even miss breakast anymore.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

I'll add that your previous dietary changes have you a lot closer to being in a good place than most people who are first starting out. So my advice for starting out might be to entry level for you. Just listen to your body and you'll be fine. That has been one of the biggest changes for me. Being able to "listen" to my body. I never understood what people meant by that before. And that's because I've been a sugar addict my whole life. I imagine you're not at this point.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

One last thing. Reddit/keto and Reddit/ketogains for much better advice than I could give you.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

I appreciate the responses. 4 weeks instead of 6 sounds great. I'll be kicking ass before the year ends.

Maybe I'm just a luddite, but I don't really get reddit. It seems like searching though a lot of trash for not much gain. Like a really unorganized message board... like a giant cardstalk with lots of similar threads. Maybe it will be good for food ideas, easy to search for?

I had forgotten about the keto flu I read about. Thanks for the tip. I was thinking of adding a couple of tablespoons of salt to my food throughout the day, and maybe getting a few cases of smartwater, especially when training hard in tkd. (or just adding some salt to water to drink through the day. I remember needing to really down a lot of electrolytes during that last stretch of reduced carbs while training. Keeping hydrated on tkd days will likely be my biggest hurdle in the next month. That's 3-4x/week so its a lot.

I already 16/8 IF 6 days a week and have been doing so for a long time. (occasionally I'll have breakfast a 2nd day of the week if the body craves it) Like I said, I just did a 24 hour fast and was normal lunchtime hungry, that is, just a little. No problems there.

Yeah, learning my body was something I learned after months of going paleo. I know when I needed fatty meat, leaner meat, fat, or vegetables. I know when I've had too much fruit/sugar. The body tells you. When you eat clean, you crave what you need. Though when I first increased my protein intake to work with my strength training, it was difficult to eat that much, though my body adjusted eventually. I assume the increased fat will also be an adjustment.

I almost aimed for 25 carbs, but I get so much protein and fat from nuts (and some protein powder) that I'd have to have like 0 net carbs for dinner each day. That's why I am looking at 35. Still strength training 3x/week so I don't want to lose the protein.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

On reddit, the format is kind of annoying, but there is a ton of great advice in those two specific subreddits. It's worth it to wade in and get used to the layout. I honestly couldn't have done what I've done without the r/keto board. It has been a lifesaver.

What most people say about the protein and fat macros is this... You want to eat at your protein goal every day (as in, don't come up short on it). But the fat macro is just a suggestion. Don't go over, but you don't have to hit it, either. It's your tool to make sure you're satiated (and thus don't go off the rails).

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

GeddyWrox wrote:On reddit, the format is kind of annoying, but there is a ton of great advice in those two specific subreddits. It's worth it to wade in and get used to the layout. I honestly couldn't have done what I've done without the r/keto board. It has been a lifesaver.

What most people say about the protein and fat macros is this... You want to eat at your protein goal every day (as in, don't come up short on it). But the fat macro is just a suggestion. Don't go over, but you don't have to hit it, either. It's your tool to make sure you're satiated (and thus don't go off the rails).
That's really good to know. I already hit my protein macro easily every day. The most difficult thing will be counting calories. I haven't done that... ever since going paleo.