Getting into shape

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: Getting into shape

Post by Freed Roger »

lukethedrifter wrote:Crosspost in the Getting Old thread. I’m basically conceding the arthritis in my right shoulder. I can deal with the pain and don’t push it too far but this damn hip/glute/low back issue is getting on my nerves. This chiropractor is saying he’s got me almost back to normal. No. No, you don’t. Guess off to PT next.

Had been thinking about looking for a old guys track team to run 400s, 800s etc but not happening until i get this thing worked out.
Was gearing up for the Macklind Mile this Saturday -and I pulled/strained/tore a quad muscle while running 100m strides (strides are like sprints but in a more sustainable/slower form). It stunned me because a quad is a workhorse muscle - not the finer/tighter type that is more susceptible to strains (such as calf or hamstrings). Result is a really swollen thigh, bruising, and pain.

I troubleshoot these aches pains things mostly myself -which drives my wife crazy - because I am old enough to have a history/experience, am reasonably smart... and have internet connection.

The pros though, they are great for giving you timelines and objectivity. With the DIY aches pains injury repairs - someone like me might not see timely improvement and switch to a wrong course.

Yeah, I'm not doing the Macklind Mile or anything to aggravate my leg. Some hiking for circulation is actually good though-a short one with a lot boulder-scrambling in Tennessee became a fun adventure with the bad leg. I'd visualize myself as Alex Honnold one moment, and Aron Ralston the next.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

lukethedrifter wrote:Crosspost in the Getting Old thread. I’m basically conceding the arthritis in my right shoulder. I can deal with the pain and don’t push it too far but this damn hip/glute/low back issue is getting on my nerves. This chiropractor is saying he’s got me almost back to normal. No. No, you don’t. Guess off to PT next.

Had been thinking about looking for a old guys track team to run 400s, 800s etc but not happening until i get this thing worked out.
I've dealt with a couple different issues in the hip/glute/lower back area over the last 4 or 5 years. It can get really bad, depending on the cause. With me, it turns out I had a disc protrusion L5/S1. I had it so long it calcified. That was/is my main issue. Steroid injections have been about 50/50 in terms of helping or not. After losing 100+ lbs, it has taken just enough pressure off the nerve that I can manage the pain with ibuprofen. So I have thus far managed to avoid surgery.

The other part of it is a tight piriformis muscle - probably from the disc protrusion plus sitting at my desk all day every day. It took me forever to realize that the pain from this was different from the pain from my disc issue. I have found that stretching really helps this. When it gets past the point of me being able to stretch it out, I book a few sessions at Stretch U on Manchester. That seems to help quite a bit.

In my experience PT didn't do JACK for either issue. But insurance always wants you to try it before anything else. Sigh.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Not interested in injections. Problem seems to be the interconnectedness of the issues. Stretching hams aggravated glutes at attachment. I’ll get this figured out. Just bummed that the chiro isn’t getting it done. Done, that is, to the point I can do the stretching and strengthening on my own.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Recent injured quad , there is possibility it was a result of tick bite -early lymes or erlichiosis

Had all the signs-
-ticks were on me a couple days (how I missed them I don't know, I am not vigilant after long day on the river. Correction, I am vigilant about the scary areas, but didnt pay attention to back or sides of my legs.)
-One tick had the white spot.
-The bite area got pretty red and irritated-at least 1.5in area diameter sore. 2nd tick bite on back of leg, I never looked at but it itched.

Anyhow the following days I finally stained my deck at home and was unreasonably sore from it, and felt generally off. Stomach issues too. Then the quad pulled.

This was 10 days from the tick bites, so told doc who decided to give me the cure, antibiotic, rather than mess with testing to see if I had it. From what I read, the 2 week period is key for nipping it.

Tick bites can be a psychosomatic nightmare.

my dog nearly had an early death from erlichiosis. It was killing him fast, within a week he'd have been done.

A trail running friend had it too. He said if he went on extended trip in tick infested area, he'd comsider taking antibiotics along preemptively(I guess if your older, not worried about future immunity? )

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Dude, that's scary! Glad you took the antibiotics. Take care of yourself!

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Ticks are ruining the great outdoors.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

Freed Roger wrote:Recent injured quad , there is possibility it was a result of tick bite -early lymes or erlichiosis

Had all the signs-
-ticks were on me a couple days (how I missed them I don't know, I am not vigilant after long day on the river. Correction, I am vigilant about the scary areas, but didnt pay attention to back or sides of my legs.)
-The bite area got pretty red and irritated-at least 1.5in area diameter sore. 2nd tick bite on back of leg, I never looked at but it itched.

Anyhow the following days I finally stained my deck at home and was unreasonably sore from it, and felt generally off. Stomach issues too. Then the quad pulled.

This was 10 days from the tick bites, so told doc who decided to give me the cure, antibiotic, rather than mess with testing to see if I had it. From what I read, the 2 week period is key for nipping it.

my dog nearly had an early death from erlichiosis. It was killing him fast, within a week he'd have been done.

A trail running friend had it too. He said if he went on extended trip in tick infested area, he'd comsider taking antibiotics along preemptively(I guess if your older, not worried about future immunity? )
I friend of mine has Lyme Disease that went undiagnosed for like years. She would go to the doctor all the time for its various symptoms and they could never really tell her anything. Somehow they finally figured it out. I suppose if you don't go for treatment until years after the tick bite it's hard to diagnose, as the symptoms could indicate a hundred different things.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

G. Keenan wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:Recent injured quad , there is possibility it was a result of tick bite -early lymes or erlichiosis

Had all the signs-

A trail running friend had it too. He said if he went on extended trip in tick infested area, he'd consider taking antibiotics along preemptively(I guess if your older, not worried about future immunity? )
I friend of mine has Lyme Disease that went undiagnosed for like years. She would go to the doctor all the time for its various symptoms and they could never really tell her anything. Somehow they finally figured it out. I suppose if you don't go for treatment until years after the tick bite it's hard to diagnose, as the symptoms could indicate a hundred different things.
yep that is what I read. Within a couple weeks - if you had the tick bite, the rash circle thing - they can test to see if your body is producing some antibodies or something. With this circumstances -they can sort of tell. Since knocking it out is more effectively done within this 2 weeks or so, it's just as well to skip the test and take the cure.

Upon further, I was in the symptom range for erlichiosis range as much as lymes. I will never know if I actually had either, and am fine with that.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Blown quad, not running and my weight goes back up 6lbs just like that. Since I'm short, 6 lbs is more than you'd think.

Not all terrible, was ready for the physical/mental break from a training mode (or at least what constitutes training mode for me).

It isn't the lack of exercise though. Not being in the mode I resume some other bad habits diet and more time for a beer or 3. It's ok to cave in some.
Going to ease back into exercise tonite. Maybe a run or a ride.

Bike riding is great, I just do it in sightseeing mentality, cruise thru rich neighborhoods enjoying their landscaping tall trees etc. I am getting good exercise without making a deal out of it. For example, I can eat dinner, even drink a beer and then hop on bike go for a dusk ride and not feel like puking.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I actually put in full effort running the bases at softball last night since it was playoffs for that league and I wanted to win a championship. From the very start I felt like I was running the best I had all season and felt really good, maybe even the fastest I've been in a couple of years.

So of course in my last AB of the second and final game of the night I doubled (I was trying to hit a sac fly but got too much of it I guess) and then scored from second but felt my hamstring pop as I rounded third. We had 11 players total and scored somewhere between 35 and 40 runs in the two games that ended via the mercy rule. I was perfect at the plate and scored every time I came up. That's a lot of flipping running for a 41 year old fat guy. Apparently it was too much running.