Getting into shape

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Re: Getting into shape

Post by cardinalkarp »

Sorry, but I’ll never agree w/ a diet that says anything more than one piece of fruit a day is excessive.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

JCShutout wrote: Moderation is a thing, but its not what most people think it is. It is the avoidance of excess or extremes. Humans need 20-25 grams of sugar per day max. That's literally a single piece of fruit and maybe a little extra sugar. (second fruit, honey, tomatoes?) Moderation is 20-25g sugar/day. Anything more is excess.
I hear what you are saying. It really is surprising how much sugar gets pumped into our diet via processed foods. If you are eating fruit, you pretty much get all the sugar you need for an average day (with the benefit of fiber and other nutrients. )

BTW, as a kid, I have no idea how much sugar I'd take in a day. Maybe 200G. For breakfast, on days we didn't have cinnamon rolls, Little Debbies, or pancakes for breakfast - I'd have Capn Crunch or Frosted Flakes with a few spoonfuls of sugar to top it off. Soda, ice cream, white bread etc etc stunted my growth probably, but weight issues haven't been prevailing.

basically I grew up on the Mad Men (marketed processed food) diet with German meat and potatoes and fried foods to top it off.

I feel like I've re-hardwired my brain and tastes - took some effort. I still take in more sugar than I should, but nowhere near what I did before. Genetically, I must be more equipped to handle that crap more than average person, because the old home town is full of obesity.

Anyways, healthy people -such as athletes - have always had wildly different diets and been equipped to process it in a healthy manner. Pardon my use of trendy terms- mindfulness, balance, with regard to eating are key. There is something about paying attention and figuring what works for you (not necessarily someone else).

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

had my first drink of the year (didn't drink on 12/31) during the super bowl. had some red wine and a couple beers later on. the wine tasted pretty good; beer was meh. i didn't have the urge to drink on 2/1 and i suppose it was kind of fun during the super bowl but i wasn't raging for it and i did keep thinking of the calories and how i was going to feel/look today... which i feel fine. the super bowl at least gave me a reason to have a drink. i really don't have one for the foreseeable future and i'm fine with that.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Secret Weapon
Perennial All-Star

Post by Secret Weapon »

Italy was rated #1 healthiest country so pasta cant be all that bad for you....

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Secret Weapon wrote:
Italy was rated #1 healthiest country so pasta cant be all that bad for you....

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

I know that was partially in jest, but I read it anyways and found some bits interesting.
“Among people who are very physically active, low fat diets with higher grain intake do not necessarily contribute to poor health outcomes and conditions like obesity,” Bazzano said. “However, among persons who are less physically active, higher grain intake, especially refined grain intakes, may contribute to poorer health outcomes and/or obesity.”

I think the best takeaway for Americans, when looking at the Japanese, is that if we restrict our intake of refined sugar, industrial seed oils, and increase [our] intake of marine omega-3s, then we might be able to tolerate eating more rice,” he said. “We can learn a lot about how to be healthy from the Japanese, and it really comes down to ‘eat real food’ and ‘exercise.’”

What’s more is that the average Japanese person walks over 7,000 steps a day, while Americans walk an average of about 5,000 steps per day. Also of note: The health trend to walk 10,000 steps per day actually started in Japan.
Basically, eating real, non processed food and constant walking/exercise can limit the damage of grains. Great if that works for you, but it ONLY works if you are active... which any diet ONLY really works if you are active. Still pushes to kill that sugar intake and refined grains.
cardinalkarp wrote:Sorry, but I’ll never agree w/ a diet that says anything more than one piece of fruit a day is excessive.
Depending on the fruit and how big you are, 2 pieces might be fine, especially if you're active. Obviously a 200lb person needs more of everything to maintain weight than a 150lb person and can likely do fine on 30 ish grams of sugar. Most 150lb folks are probably good with one and a little extra. I'm around 215lbs, (been intentionally gaining weight for strength training) and occasionally (usually on a hard workout day) have a second piece of fruit or some dark chocolate. (85% or 90%) Still keeps the sugar intake in the 30-35g on my worst day. When, given my size, probably 25-30 is ideal, I figure that's reasonable/moderate.

ZigZagCardsFan
Perennial All-Star

Post by ZigZagCardsFan »

Rant: Eating well, losing a ton of weight, killing my workouts...and then sciatica. [expletive].

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

ZigZagCardsFan wrote:Rant: Eating well, losing a ton of weight, killing my workouts...and then sciatica. [expletive].
Google around for exercises/stretches. Some of them seem to help me. . And the demos usually have some cute yoga pant gals.

ZigZagCardsFan
Perennial All-Star

Post by ZigZagCardsFan »

Freed Roger wrote:
ZigZagCardsFan wrote:Rant: Eating well, losing a ton of weight, killing my workouts...and then sciatica. [expletive].
Google around for exercises/stretches. Some of them seem to help me. . And the demos usually have some cute yoga pant gals.
You noticed that too, did ya? :D