Getting into shape

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Richie Allen
Perennial All-Star

Re: Getting into shape

Post by Richie Allen »

haltz wrote:I'm down to 168 lbs from almost 230 last summer.
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu....That's unbelievable!

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Grats tlom, 82, haltz and numbers! Keep it up!

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Was chatting with a coworker buddy about the Blues. I mentioned playing hockey in high school. He asked if I still played in adult leagues. When I said I was retired, he chuckled and said, "retired at 25/26? Must be nice."

So yeah, I'm 34 and was mistaken for someone in my mid 20s. Not too shabby.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I pulled my quad at kickball on Saturday and it is still bothering me a bit. I hadn't pulled a muscle in five years even with all the teams I play on. Then again, I've always said that you can't pull fat so I guess now that I've lost a bunch and am getting older, it's time to be more careful.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

tlombard wrote:I pulled my quad at kickball on Saturday and it is still bothering me a bit. I hadn't pulled a muscle in five years even with all the teams I play on. Then again, I've always said that you can't pull fat so I guess now that I've lost a bunch and am getting older, it's time to be more careful.
The crappy part was going to work limping and trying to hide it and avoid the conversation about having yet another beer league softball injury. Then sitting at the desk all day having it get worse.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Yes. I was still feeling it every time I stood up yesterday at work. Thankfully it is getting better. I haven't been limping but when I would stand up from my chair it would be obvious that something wasn't quite right.

The worst for me was a couple of years ago when my hip was bothering me (think it was a bursa sac or whatever) and I was too stubborn to just take it easy for a week or two. Instead I kept playing 3 or 4 softball games a week and it kept getting worse and I ended up sitting out the last month or so of the season because I couldn't even walk after sitting down for a few minutes. If I'd just taken a week off when it first started bothering me then everything would have been fine but I was dumb. People at work were constantly telling me to go to the doctor but I kept putting it off until it just got better on it's own.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I should have asked to get on a scale while I was in the emergency room this weekend so I can see what I weigh now. I thought about it but at the time I couldn't have stood on it anyway. I will never hop off of anything ever again. Get me a ladder.

My quest to get in better shape is going to be derailed for a few weeks so looks like I'll be taking a break from softball or any other exercise. The big toe on my left foot was dislocated for a little over 12 hours from Saturday evening through Sunday morning when they finally popped it back in place. That is the worst pain I've ever been in and way longer than anything before. I'd rather break my ankle again. That was way less painful than having the bone in the big toe sitting on top of the bone it is supposed to connect to.

I took my tablet to the ER with me figuring I could read to pass the time. I couldn't even concentrate long enough to get through a single page. I was also by myself so I just sat there for what seems like days not able to think about anything except the pain. I got to the ER at 2am and ended up getting out at a little before 8am. The toe was dislocated from about 6pm until 6:30am. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Son of a [expletive] that sounds awful Lombard. How did it happen? You jumped off something?

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Spent the day on the lake with a friend and at the end of the day I helped him pull his boat out. After we got it out I went to hop down and I landed wrong. I wish I had taken more and better pictures but at the time I didn't realize it was really that bad. I thought I might have broken it at the worst. The picture isn't gross (although feet are in general) but it is huge. I haven't figured out how to make them smaller. But anyway, if you scroll over to the right you can see a crease and a whiter area in it. That's where the toe bone is sitting on top of where it's supposed to connect.
[SHOW]
ImageDislocated Toe by Tony Lombard, on Flickr

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

No offense, but I'm not going to look at the pics. Good luck with recovery.

as far as getting in shape - stationary bike? pool?