Getting into shape

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Re: Getting into shape

Post by cardinalkarp »

Freed Roger wrote:No offense, but I'm not going to look at the pics. Good luck with recovery.

as far as getting in shape - stationary bike? pool?
I looked, it wasn't bad.....you could tell that the big toe joint or knuckle looks pushed back

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Yeah, it isn't bad other than the fact that feet are gross in general and mine really aren't pretty. I purposefully made sure to not get the toenail in the picture because ever since I lost it a couple of times from people kicking me in the toe instead of the ball playing indoor soccer, the nail just will not grow back and it is pretty nasty looking.

Once I take the boot off I'll just start easing back into softball and running a bit more there. I've got three games a week to play and I can spend my weekends swimming around the lake so I can still be a little active on the weekends at least. I was starting to actually make some progress with all of the softball before this setback.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Doing a 50k trail run in Sept and it sure is a [expletive] trying to log lots of training miles in this heat/humidity.

I've had some success in cross-training indoors for shorter stuff, but for running a race that kind of distance - I've discovered the main thing that gets me efficient and ready physically as well as mentally is putting in a lot of time running. These things, are different for everybody.

I'm treadmill adverse, so forget that. There's a balancing act between running in the heat, acclimating, and attempting to not hurting myself. When it's hot, the mind {wisely} marshalls the resources to vital organs, instead of the legs, feet, etc. Need to get more of a very early morning routine -it's some cooler in the dawn than at dusk.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

You, sir, are insane

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

tlombard wrote:You, sir, are insane
Tis a fine line.

Donnie Ebert
Perennial All-Star

Post by Donnie Ebert »

I usually do two to four mile laps for my longer runs, especially in the summer, and over time I've learned that putting on a new shirt every three miles keeps me a little cooler. The problem with running early before it gets hot is that it's still around 75 or 80 (closer to the city where I live) and usually and the humidity is high so you soak through a shirt every two miles or so. Taking off the shirt doesn't really help either, as all the sweat ends up in your shorts and then in your shoes, so you end up sloshing around for half the run. The fun part about this method is all the drenched brightly-colored shirts that collect on my porch rail during a twenty miler look festive.

I also put ice my hat each lap, and of course drink plenty of water.

But it only helps you get through, because running in this kind of heat is brutal.

Marathons are long enough for me, but a 50k is just far enough to be something that would be cool to check on the ol' checklist. Good luck to you.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Good advice. I've got a decent park nearby to do approx one mile laps - with some shade coverage and varied non-boring terrain. I've done this in the past, but haven't gotten back into it. Can become a creature of habit I guess.

The good thing about doing loops is you are never far from a personal aid station. Which can also be the tough thing too, because it's so easy to rationalize into quitting after finishing each loop. Hence, one way I ensure that I'll hit some distance and time-on-feet objective is on trail that heads several miles away, and forces me to work my way back.

But when going way out, the only respite comes from slowing down, a walk break, and whatever cold water I have (I don't do a vest, yet. just a 22oz hand-held typically). I have some ice bandanas things I wear around my wrist and/or neck, but they are usually useless within half hour. So another reason to do loops where I can just replace them.

Anyhows, the no-pain-no-gain thing that most of us grew up with, I make an effort to avoid that mentality because it's not smart or productive for training. Though admittedly I'll do a few runs and speedwork in a cycle that push it -so the pain isn't a stranger or when race time comes around. good to mix it up.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

ZigZagCardsFan
Perennial All-Star

Post by ZigZagCardsFan »

Down 50 lbs. on the dot (287 to 237) since early January.

Meal prep, Fitbit, hockey, trail runs, and basement workouts are to blame.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Thats awesome ZigZag