Getting into shape

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Re: Getting into shape

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

I personally find the rules easier than trying to keep a sliding scale in my head of "this is okay but not if I've had too much of this" or whatever. It's also psychologically much easier to talk yourself into bad habits without hard and fast guidelines.

I think I'm headed back towards the slow carb ideal, which is very similar to what Rad posted. Problem is I'm too picky an eater to make it all that sustainable, so hopefully moving in smaller steps, instead of outright "don't eat bread", will be a little easier.

Maclowery
Child Pot Activist

Post by Maclowery »

After a month of vague jogging/working out, I felt in-shape enough to finally start the p90x workout regimen. I'm kind of altering the nutrition part, as I'm thin already, so going more carb-heavy than the fat-burning recommendations it starts you off with for the first month.

Anyway I'm on day 2 now. The first day was chest/back/abs. Today was plyometrics, basically a lot of lunges and cardio stuff. I was barely able to do a third of what they did, my body is so wrecked from day 1. Feels great though. I can't lift my arms above my shoulders without grimacing.

I know a few guys who have gone through it all - only one who said he really stuck with it explicitly. All of them agreed that the first week was truly brutal, as this routine manages to find little bunches of muscle all over you that you had no idea you never really use enough.

This, plus my almost complete lack of alcohol over this new year (I'm dry until the last week or so of this program, which happens to be my 30th bday), has me sleeping great.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Maclowery wrote:After a month of vague jogging/working out, I felt in-shape enough to finally start the p90x workout regimen. I'm kind of altering the nutrition part, as I'm thin already, so going more carb-heavy than the fat-burning recommendations it starts you off with for the first month.

Anyway I'm on day 2 now. The first day was chest/back/abs. Today was plyometrics, basically a lot of lunges and cardio stuff. I was barely able to do a third of what they did, my body is so wrecked from day 1. Feels great though. I can't lift my arms above my shoulders without grimacing.

I know a few guys who have gone through it all - only one who said he really stuck with it explicitly. All of them agreed that the first week was truly brutal, as this routine manages to find little bunches of muscle all over you that you had no idea you never really use enough.

This, plus my almost complete lack of alcohol over this new year (I'm dry until the last week or so of this program, which happens to be my 30th bday), has me sleeping great.

you lost me with that last part

slide_into_first
is unaware that dangerous is the real Tyler Durden

Post by slide_into_first »

cardsfantx wrote:
Maclowery wrote:After a month of vague jogging/working out, I felt in-shape enough to finally start the p90x workout regimen. I'm kind of altering the nutrition part, as I'm thin already, so going more carb-heavy than the fat-burning recommendations it starts you off with for the first month.

you lost me with that last part
Drinking puts me to sleep but I wake up too early- maybe he means that.

Maclowery
Child Pot Activist

Post by Maclowery »

For a decade, I drank almost daily about 30 drinks a week, or more, without really even a week break for the most part. I don't regret spending more time in bars then gyms, because I had plenty of fun. But my body has suffered. This year, I have enormously cut back. I'm sleeping great. Is that confusing?

Not sure how I'm going to be able to do anything in the arm/chest routine today. I'm very sore.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Maclowery wrote:For a decade, I drank almost daily about 30 drinks a week, or more, without really even a week break for the most part. I don't regret spending more time in bars then gyms, because I had plenty of fun. But my body has suffered. This year, I have enormously cut back. I'm sleeping great. Is that confusing?

Not sure how I'm going to be able to do anything in the arm/chest routine today. I'm very sore.
was attempting to make a joke about the not drinking part not computing....as in, not drinking? never heard of that before....apparently i missed.

Maclowery
Child Pot Activist

Post by Maclowery »

Yeah, sorry. It was a joke I'd usually make myself; I've just been touchy this last week (and year) as people in general haven't taken me seriously when I talk about changing from a barfly to a fitness/diet addict. For good reason, no one really remembers Mac when his life didn't generally revolve around the consumption or sale of alcohol.

High five! Go cards! I royally failed my arm routine today. Just uselessly sore. Methinks I'll have to add off days in this first period here, even though it's supposed to be a daily thing.

a_smith
Perennial All-Star

Post by a_smith »

I will be joining you Mac on the P90x.

Someone in my building had left a copy next to the recycling. Thank you to the person who got rid of it!

I am going to start the program in a couple of weeks.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Bar flies can be way more interesting than fitness nuts.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

You guys are suckers. If you take steroids you will automatically be the perfect specimen.