darjeeling sipping elite

Re: Getting into shape

Post by lukethedrifter »

Awesome.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

I've lost 6 pounds over the summer. Continuing with my workouts and a bunch of high altitude hikes in Yellowstone and Rocky Mtn NP really helped.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Fat Strat wrote:I've lost 6 pounds over the summer. Continuing with my workouts and a bunch of high altitude hikes in Yellowstone and Rocky Mtn NP really helped.
That is the best way to lose weight.

though, I gain that right back at the brewery back in town. And try as I might to not junk it up, the road trip home, and 1st day or two at home, seems to set me back.
---------------

With the heat, I sweat buckets of weight off. But I think in the adaption to heat, I'll put the water weight back on quickly. From what I read, the body stores more plasma volume for the next big sweat off. Hard to figure out and I probably pay less attention to the scale this time of year other than to note the weird fluctuations.

Anyways, I don't think weight loss is formulaic at all when it comes to the effect of exercise. i.e. the garmin telling me I burned 800 calories doesn't necessarily mean I can eat a plus 800 calories diet. I'm learning that what I eat makes bigger difference than calories burned.

Even though I know this, I still don't eat (or drink) all that carefully. If there is a fitness thing to preach - it's knowing yourself and what works and doesn't work for you. Sure, read up and sample from what others do - but it's going to work different for everybody - look at how some highly successful athletes do well with quite different diets and exercise routines.

The limiting factor here is human nature -when we are young -anything goes and we can get away with it. I never paid attention until I was 28 and split my britches open reaching down to pick something up. Generally, by the time we start to figure things out - the gravity of age is kicking in.

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

I rode the Chequamegon 40 yesterday. I was not in good enough shape for it. I mean I tried to get in shape for it, and I'm pretty happy with where I am. I just wish I had been in this shape in...May - and still had 3-4 months to train. But if I hadn't signed up for it, I wouldn't have made the efforts I did and would be in worse shape.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Gashouse wrote:I rode the Chequamegon 40 yesterday. I was not in good enough shape for it. I mean I tried to get in shape for it, and I'm pretty happy with where I am. I just wish I had been in this shape in...May - and still had 3-4 months to train. But if I hadn't signed up for it, I wouldn't have made the efforts I did and would be in worse shape.
Good for you Gashouse. These events are great incentives. Also humbling. Which is good too.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

I've been injured a few months so I haven't been able to train near as much as normal. Did http://thebattlegrounds.com/ with some friends a couple of days ago and it was awesome. Anyone want to make a GRB team for the next one in the Spring?

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Down 40 pounds in 4 months.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

JCShutout wrote:I've been injured a few months so I haven't been able to train near as much as normal. Did http://thebattlegrounds.com/ with some friends a couple of days ago and it was awesome. Anyone want to make a GRB team for the next one in the Spring?
Nice! My first tournament is this weekend and then a belt test next week. Hurt my knee so I've had to go slow. Basically all walking stances and no kicks for two weeks. Hoping I can let it lose during the competition.

Congrats MCG! Well done!

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Fat Strat wrote:
JCShutout wrote:I've been injured a few months so I haven't been able to train near as much as normal. Did http://thebattlegrounds.com/ with some friends a couple of days ago and it was awesome. Anyone want to make a GRB team for the next one in the Spring?
Nice! My first tournament is this weekend and then a belt test next week. Hurt my knee so I've had to go slow. Basically all walking stances and no kicks for two weeks. Hoping I can let it lose during the competition.

Congrats MCG! Well done!
Good luck man! I remember my first tournament. I was really nervous and forgot to breathe and didn't listen to (really I didnt even hear) my coach. lol.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

got some adjustable dumbbells for christmas. new year new me and all that jazz.

im basically donating to my local YMCA on a monthly basis and there is little to no chance im ever going to go there again so im cancelling my membership.

can anyone recommend a decent collapsible weight bench? preferably one that will fit under a bed, but that's not a deal breaker.

poked around on the 'net but not really sure if i can trust rando reviews on amazon.