GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently February 16 19, 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1406 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141  Next
 Post subject: Re: Getting into shape
PostPosted: January 20 19, 10:55 am 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Freed Roger wrote:
Self-help Post for my own reminder:
It is tough when I don't get the results/feedback I like in a decent amount of time. Was up about 10 lbs since late October and spent since XMas , generally trying to beat it back to no avail. Doubled down, not eating until lunch time (awful snowpiercer/protein bar). No beer on weekdays. A week of that and still nothing.

Then last few days, finally, finally starting to shed the lbs. Tide has turned. It is like I have control again.

Important to know yourself, be objective and know when to drive on and/or troubleshoot and try something different.. Sometimes you need help with this objectivity.

That is just the weight side of things. As a longtime runner I get a lot of feedback and data.... I know how well I have done certain runs before. I currently am frustrated by the feedback...slow and tired for the percieved effort level. Am I hurt? Why waste my time if no progress?

Have to remind myself of what I pointed out above -be objective, remember not all progress is linear. Other factors at play besides effort - (weather, donated blood recently, working on strength at gym recently has my legs tired for runs)

plus, have been here before -where just about ready to scrap my approach and good things happen.

Also, as I get older, reminder that staying even IS progress.

Staying even only applies if you are already at at a healthy place from an overall fitness perspective (not just weight).

I got to where I wanted/needed to be about 5 years ago and have slowly regressed. Now in my mid-60s, I’m working to get back there and then maintain to stay even. It’s harder this time and will be even harder next time if I don’t do it right.

Recognizing it as the top threat to living an active life going forward is fueling my motivation. No more rationalizing or procrastinating.

PostPosted: January 20 19, 11:33 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Good luck Rad.

PostPosted: January 22 19, 3:15 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

Is it weird that Justin and Zech look at each other while working out?

PostPosted: January 28 19, 5:26 am 
Consider him admonished

1/27/19 - 196.6

Pants fitting much looser. I can’t help myself. I get in the gym and don’t want to do cardio, but instead want to lift. Not much weight loss but feeling much better and shrinking where it matters.

PostPosted: January 28 19, 6:39 am 
darjeeling sipping elite

Right now, I’m focused on cardio. First, it’s the most important thing, being in at least decent cv shape. When i start back on weights I’m going to need to be a bit more cautious as I’ve got some funky shoulder issues that lead to funky arm and back issues. Even with a strict focus on good form last year, ended up having to shut down. Should not have let it affect my cardio shape though.
I’m probably 15 lbs over peak shape and 70% of where i need to be on heart/lungs. When the weather breaks I’m going to get back to sprint/intermediate distance track stuff + bought a bike and intend to use it daily, gym, grocery, maybe work.

Congrats to all of you doing the work to feel better physically. Hope you find the formula that works long term for you.

PostPosted: February 3 19, 6:44 am 
Consider him admonished

2/3/19 - 195.4

PostPosted: February 3 19, 5:27 pm 
MacGyver of Underwear

Hey, that's movement in the right direction Tim. Hope its going well for you!

I haven't weighed myself in a few days (I like to weight myself daily or close to it since weight can fluctuate, so I know what my general range is), and I'm down a total of about 25 or so lbs since Thanksgiving. I'm Somewhere between 202 and 204, which is 4-6 lbs from the lowest I've ever been as an adult, which was when I was training intensely (massive cardio training 5-6 days/week) for a tkd tournament. Not bad considering I'm just training regularly and for nothing more than general health. Based on bodyfat % (22ish%) can probably look at 180-190 as a solid healthy, but not being anal about my food-still enjoying life target weight. (17ish% bodyfat would be nice)

PostPosted: February 6 19, 3:12 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

Got my mom up to the Y to do a geriatric exercise/strengthening class. Told her she has to give me a month of effort. Trying to keep her traveling and gardening into her 80s.

She didnt seem super psyched. Oh well.

PostPosted: February 6 19, 10:39 pm 
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

JCShutout wrote:
Does he compete in poomsae, breaking and/or sparring? As for your hips, just keep at them. Try some hip stretches each day. They'll loosen up but it will take awhile. Also, the higher you can lift your knee/thigh before turning your hip will elevate your roundhouse. (Actually a good tip for literally every single kick... well, except the axe kick lol) Squats and core work will help there.

Thought I would catch you up a little.

I am down 11 since I started around the first of December -- about 2 months. Leveled off there for awhile, but now I'm dropping pounds like crazy. I think I was over-estimating the number of calories I was actually burning in a typical workout. I was going by the app that I use, which said that a 1 hr 15 min TKD workout at medium intensity was in the 800 calorie range. I would do the workout and then compensate with extra food because the app told me I could, but the pounds weren't coming off. So, now I've capped my workouts at 500 calories regardless of time and eat what I need to eat to feel good. I'm down to 1500-1800 calories on non-workout days and 1800-2000 calories on workout days. Protein is my best friend. Today, for example, my instructor was feeling ambitious, so we went for an hour and 45 minutes. I probably burned 1000+, but I still feel just fine having consumed 1859 calories. I'm 430 calories under today feeling full and almost 800 calories below my limit for the week already, and I'm only three days in! I'm not even hungry. And the weight is shedding fast now. I'm sure it won't always be this easy.

As far as TKD, dropping that spare tire a little has had a surprisingly fast impact on my stretching. I can almost get my forehead on my knees of front stretches and I'm now routinely kicking 2-3 inches over my head with front kicks. My ax and crescent kicks are pretty dangerous weapons in sparing ... especially against the other 40+ year olds I face. Hips are still very tight... roundhouse is definitely not keeping up with my front motion kicks, but my instructor keeps working me to death on them, so hopefully they'll catch up soon. Outer hip flexors just scream at me all the time. But, gotta keep working them.

Tournament this weekend. Belt test in two weeks. Going to blue. I'm starting to smell that black belt. I never really thought I would go that long. Was just doing this to be with my son and get some exercise. But, I think I can see myself making it. Who knows? Onward I go!

PostPosted: February 7 19, 10:25 am 
has a link from 538 to share

That's awesome, fat. I'm impressed!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1406 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141  Next