Getting into shape

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: Getting into shape

Post by Freed Roger »

I am interested in hearing any simple everyday fitness and/or weight loss hacks.

For me, anything that helps contain stress. Thus, I try to get enough sleep. I relax with a beer or two night.

i often do some consciously deeper breathing on commute to work. At work, I always take the stairs. Sometimes I repeat the stairs. I try to take a walk about 15 mins at lunch. I stand up and stretch at work. Walk the dogs.daily.

I am pretty sure these add up, because this time of year with work schedule and weather I skip this, and I notice a difference.

I do some mini-fasting -not eating until lunch. I think it is good to be a little chilly at work, but I don't control the temps. I tried some Timothy Ferris stuff - cold showers -unclear if it helped.

Water is good. Over the years I have waffled on whether to force down more than I am thirsty for. Logically we have a regulator for this. For example-My dog the Big Galoot didn'r drink water until thirsty -and then he drank a half gallon at once spilling it all over the place. (dude, that waters been waiting there all day).
Currently, though -I am drinking a lotta water in everyday setting- way more than my thirst. Fills me up, flushes out the bad [expletive].
Different rules apply to water when working out for long length of time. there, mixing in eloctrolytes etc etc matter. This is different for everybody.

Supplements -I don't like processed stuff, prefer to get my vitamins etc thru food. Still though, I take fish oil daily, lysine most days and collagen on occassion (for the joint connective and fascia stuff) Not sure it helps, but have read lit heard podcasts saying it does.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

I think sleep is a really underrated one, I've gotten in the habit of weighing myself each morning, and the correlation to poor nights of sleep having disappointing readings in the morning is strong, even if there's no other factor different from most days(eating wrong, lack of exercise).

ZigZagCardsFan
Perennial All-Star

Post by ZigZagCardsFan »

I've noticed that too but I wonder if it's a water weight thing. Obviously, the more you sleep the less you're taking in any more liquids and the more that gets flushed through your system.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

ZigZagCardsFan wrote:I've noticed that too but I wonder if it's a water weight thing. Obviously, the more you sleep the less you're taking in any more liquids and the more that gets flushed through your system.
That's probably at least partially true, but sleep also has knock on effects. When I'm more tired I'm more likely to put off exercising, have an extra cookie, etc that all conspires against fitness goals.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
ZigZagCardsFan wrote:I've noticed that too but I wonder if it's a water weight thing. Obviously, the more you sleep the less you're taking in any more liquids and the more that gets flushed through your system.
That's probably at least partially true, but sleep also has knock on effects. When I'm more tired I'm more likely to put off exercising, have an extra cookie, etc that all conspires against fitness goals.
Yeah, willpower is diminished greatly. Studies also show the cortisol level is higher with poor sleep (aka stress fight or flight hormone).

I don't fully understand it, but know that too high cortisol is bad over time, especially for weight. Elevated cortisol has one burning carbs/sugar -rather than the fat your body tends to burn when you are in chill mode.

and if you are burning sugar like mad this way, logically this feeds the sugar carb crave cycle.

Though doubtful cortisol itself accounts for much one morning weigh-in bump.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

It helps me to talk this science stuff out as a reminder, because I have been terrible about sleep. i.e. last night tried to finish off Narcos series -with chips and beer and falling asleep on couch. so dumb. Now I am at work, tired, with a lot to do and further lack.willpower to not look at GRB and write [expletive] like this.

stormspencer
Veteran Player

Post by stormspencer »

Freed Roger wrote:I am interested in hearing any simple everyday fitness and/or weight loss hacks.

For me, anything that helps contain stress. Thus, I try to get enough sleep. I relax with a beer or two night.

i often do some consciously deeper breathing on commute to work. At work, I always take the stairs. Sometimes I repeat the stairs. I try to take a walk about 15 mins at lunch. I stand up and stretch at work. Walk the dogs.daily.

I am pretty sure these add up, because this time of year with work schedule and weather I skip this, and I notice a difference.

I do some mini-fasting -not eating until lunch. I think it is good to be a little chilly at work, but I don't control the temps. I tried some Timothy Ferris stuff - cold showers -unclear if it helped.

Water is good. Over the years I have waffled on whether to force down more than I am thirsty for. Logically we have a regulator for this. For example-My dog the Big Galoot didn'r drink water until thirsty -and then he drank a half gallon at once spilling it all over the place. (dude, that waters been waiting there all day).
Currently, though -I am drinking a lotta water in everyday setting- way more than my thirst. Fills me up, flushes out the bad [expletive].
Different rules apply to water when working out for long length of time. there, mixing in eloctrolytes etc etc matter. This is different for everybody.

Supplements -I don't like processed stuff, prefer to get my vitamins etc thru food. Still though, I take fish oil daily, lysine most days and collagen on occassion (for the joint connective and fascia stuff) Not sure it helps, but have read lit heard podcasts saying it does.
I've been on Keto for about 6 weeks now. I will be the first to trumpet that this type of eating regimen isn't for everyone, but it does work in the short term. I started out at 6'3 and 228. I'm down to about 216...but have really leveled off. I was an avid endurance athlete (running, swimming) until the last 12-18 months (recurring shoulder and knee problems). What I found out on the diet was the loss of energy greatly affected and is still affecting my runs, but not so much my weight training. If you're not into cardio....I think Keto is a great way to jumpstart some weight loss. You eventually get used to not having having bread/starch and you can have 1 or 2 beers on it, although you can not have most craft beers (which I love). And I can have 3 or 4 bourbons.....which is a bonus.

In the long run, I will begin adding more carbs (mostly fruit or fruit juicing) incrementally back into my diet when I get down to about 210. But again, it isn't for everyone as I still have days where I fell pretty lethargic.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Been at or just under 199 for a week or so, and weighed in at under 198 today. (Was 197.4 or .6), so I can officially say I'm lighter than I have been since at least Junior High. Maybe I should weigh in on the BSOHL thread. More importantly, stomach fat is clearly smaller. Very noticeably.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

JCShutout wrote:Been at or just under 199 for a week or so, and weighed in at under 198 today. (Was 197.4 or .6), so I can officially say I'm lighter than I have been since at least Junior High. Maybe I should weigh in on the BSOHL thread. More importantly, stomach fat is clearly smaller. Very noticeably.
I had a conference last week so I kind of took the weak off from dieting and exercise. We walked constantly and snacks were crazy expensive, so no snacking. Just a few big meals. It wasn’t a total loss. Now I have to get motivated again for this week. Gained a few pounds but I think that was more about what I ate - fast food while traveling - rather than quantity.

Back to the grind.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

I'm down to 185.7 from a high of 196.6 exactly a month ago. Although the first 4lbs came off so quickly that I'm pretty sure it was water weight or something - I was consistently at 192 until it seemingly spiked that day.

I'm scheduled at four different restaurants this week so that should help.