Vacation: Toronto

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Vacation: Toronto

Post by lukethedrifter »

33, remind me your tips on getting best price at a nice hotel.

Who has been to Toronto and wants to drop some advice on me. Day 1 is some work training I’m doing on my own because i love what i do. Day 2 gonna take in Blue Jays - Braves day game. What else?

Tim
Consider him admonished

Re: Vacation: Toronto

Post by Tim »

Steam whistle brewery if it’s still there

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Priceline within the last 48 hours of arrival, when they are dumping inventory. BUT. Check the market first. If there is a convention or something happening in town you are not going to find cheap hotel rooms. You can put a bid in a couple weeks out to feel stuff out, just do one small area, then expand to a couple more areas that look appealing so it's a different bid. If you're not getting bites, come back until you get a hit. Never go for a star level less than you're willing to swallow.

Or just airbnb nowadays.

Also. Eat ALL the Chinese food in Toronto, it's so good up there. Plus you can get real Cuban rum.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

33anda3rd wrote:Priceline within the last 48 hours of arrival, when they are dumping inventory. BUT. Check the market first. If there is a convention or something happening in town you are not going to find cheap hotel rooms.

Also. Eat ALL the Chinese food in Toronto, it's so good up there. Plus you can get real Cuban rum.
Called in house reservations and got 5% below best rate on booking.com which was quite a bit lower than hotel website. Fully refundable so i will be following your Priceline advice.

5 nights for 1616usd plus tax- so 1900ish. Quite a bit more than i wanted to pay but wanted to stay near stuff. Will let my wife do Airbnb and VRBO search to see if she finds something great. Also Priceline.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I really enjoyed my time in Toronto even though the week was mostly taken up by work and the office/hotel is technically in Oakville a bit outside of Toronto.

I only made it into Toronto proper the Sunday that I was there and it was as easy as just taking a train from Oakville and then walking over to the Sky Dome. I even managed to snag a free ticket by playing dumb and asking a group of girls where the ticket office was and they happened to have an extra and took me with them. It has been at least 15 years since I was up there but I really liked the stadium at the time. The stands were pretty empty but I still had a good time.

Then I went up the CN Tower and of course the couple behind me in line the entire time were from St. Louis. They said something that made me wonder if they were from St. Louis and then when I turned around I saw Cardinal t-shirts and a Cardinal hat. The CN Tower is a can't miss.

But otherwise I just went into the office every day and then went to a couple of bars in Oakville with people who worked at the hotel. My last night I was walking in a side entrance with two of the girls who worked at the hotel. The night manager saw us. I think they might have gotten fired. From what I heard, it wasn't the first time they had been caught taking hotel guests out and they had been warned multiple times before. It was after 3am and I had to be packed up and checked out by 7:30 am to spend a few hours in the office and then catch my ride to the airport from there so I didn't stick around to see what happened or find out later.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Hockey Hall of Fame
Theater district
Second City
All of the restaurants. Toronto bills itself as the most ethnically diverse city in the world, and they have all the ethnic restaurants to back it up.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Looks like work stuff + Blue Jays day game + 2nd city + find a Chinese foot massage place + lots of Chinese and other ethnic foods + find good beer and a nice cocktail bar + ?
It’s got the makings of a pretty nice little vacation.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

lukethedrifter wrote:Looks like work stuff + Blue Jays day game + 2nd city + find a Chinese foot massage place + lots of Chinese and other ethnic foods + find good beer and a nice cocktail bar + ?
It’s got the makings of a pretty nice little vacation.
Catching the corresponding episode of The Layover before you visit a city is always a good idea.
https://www.travelchannel.com/shows/the ... es/toronto

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Would appear Priceline no longer has the bid model, so I'd say forget the old advice on copping a cheap room on there. Maybe something will come up on their Express Deals.

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

"Foot massage"