Rick Santorum?

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Re: Rick Santorum?

Post by sighyoung »

I appreciate 12veinte12's comments--I think they're great, and really thoughtful. I don't think Santorum simply envisions the kind of healthy sexual relationships or public discourse that you're discussing--I wish he did.

I worry that Santorum is a 21st-century Anthony Comstock. In his speeches, he offers a Manichean view of cultural issues, demonizes those who disagree with him, paints cultural opponents as enemies and moral threats to society, and gleefully discusses criminalizing a wide range of behavior. His moral certainty about himself is appalling, and renders him untrustworthy, in my opinion. In many ways (except for the use of birth control), I have made personal choices (marriage, kids) of which he would approve, yet I don't think he would listen to a single word I would say on any issue--I don't think he views me as worthy of being heard. Rather, I deserve to be silenced. For instance, he couldn't have insulted college professors more if he had publicly urinated on us.

I want a nuanced thinker, and someone who can at least pretend to want to be president of all the people. I don't want Spiro T. Agnew mouthing off about niggling nabobs of negativism, and effete corps of impudent snobs.

I think he's reasonably bright, but he speaks about handling complex social, cultural, and diplomatic issues the way a cleaver cuts meat.

Numbers
Perennial All-Star

Post by Numbers »

I definitely understand what you're saying Sigh. I just wanted to post an addendum that I'm not trying to articulate what Santorum is saying, but rather responding to the statement Wart made about sex being dirty and wrong. I think christianity gets painted with that label a little too easily and wanted to articulate what I think the main stream christian view is a little better.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

12veinte12 wrote:I definitely understand what you're saying Sigh. I just wanted to post an addendum that I'm not trying to articulate what Santorum is saying, but rather responding to the statement Wart made about sex being dirty and wrong. I think christianity gets painted with that label a little too easily and wanted to articulate what I think the main stream christian view is a little better.
We went to a presby church for a couple of years that had a terrific pastor - scholarly biblical type. Anyway, he was telling us once about a rabbi who was telling his congregation that it was ok to do it on the sabbath, in fact more than ok because God absolutely wouldn't mind. Our pastor said he agreed - and told us all the married ones should go home with a clean conscious if that was on our mind and go for it. Got a big laugh, but he was kind of serious too. Taking the "dirty" out of sex in a church setting. Of course what happened that afternoon ... probably over the line for him but oh well.

That comment about college that I think sigh is referring to and the Obama being a snob really showed what a fake Santorini is. If you listen to what Obama actually said - nothing close to how it was represented by Santorini. So he lies about what other people say. And then he of course is a college grad with a couple of degrees and what not ... hypocritical to boot.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

jim wrote:That comment about college that I think sigh is referring to and the Obama being a snob really showed what a fake Santorini is. If you listen to what Obama actually said - nothing close to how it was represented by Santorini. So he lies about what other people say. And then he of course is a college grad with a couple of degrees and what not ... hypocritical to boot.
He was pandering to a large section of the GOP base that doesn't have a college degree, and the thing that kills me is not wrong he is. He just butchered the message and didn't get the point.

Obama just said everyone needs to further their work skills. Vocational skills, technical schools, college degrees etc. Santorum's response was essentially, not every is cut out for college or college degrees. And he's 100% right. Some people are better carpenters or electricians than anything that they need a degree for. But instead of actually having that conversation, instead of talking about what college is good for and that not having a college degree shouldn't be a stigma it's too easy to just start shooting from the hip and playing politics with it all.

jim

Post by jim »

vinsanity wrote:
jim wrote:That comment about college that I think sigh is referring to and the Obama being a snob really showed what a fake Santorini is. If you listen to what Obama actually said - nothing close to how it was represented by Santorini. So he lies about what other people say. And then he of course is a college grad with a couple of degrees and what not ... hypocritical to boot.
He was pandering to a large section of the GOP base that doesn't have a college degree, and the thing that kills me is not wrong he is. He just butchered the message and didn't get the point.

Obama just said everyone needs to further their work skills. Vocational skills, technical schools, college degrees etc. Santorum's response was essentially, not every is cut out for college or college degrees. And he's 100% right. Some people are better carpenters or electricians than anything that they need a degree for. But instead of actually having that conversation, instead of talking about what college is good for and that not having a college degree shouldn't be a stigma it's too easy to just start shooting from the hip and playing politics with it all.
I know. But Santorini knowingly lied and distorted things which I think means he is going to hell. He should have known better.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

Tom_Brunansky wrote:So government can't regulate Wall Street or the Health Care industry, but it can regulate what I jerk off to?

Jerking off morally wrong. It will be outlawed too.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

[/youtube]

longhornbaseball
Perennial All-Star

Post by longhornbaseball »

OMG did he really just say "If you don't like America, I've got one thing to say. Get out!!!"

[/youtube]

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

It almost seems like Santorum is campaigning for vice president, given his rhetoric. But Santorum on the ticket would likely sink Romney with moderates.

jim

Post by jim »

His robocalls are running amuck. twice in two minutes.