Boston Sports Fans

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Re: Boston Sports Fans

Post by Hungary Jack »

Boston is a really cool city. Yeah, the people are weird and the accents are almost intolerable, but for a small city it has a lot going on. And you haven't lived yet until you've gotten stoned with a Lib Cliffe and played with imaginary dwarves.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

This is from last seaon, and only loosely connected to the subject matter, but this needs to be posted.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

http://articles.boston.com/2012-04-26/s ... l-epithets

Ward took the high ground:
"It doesn't faze me at all," Ward said. "We won, and we are moving on. … People are going to say what they want to say."

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

cards2468 wrote:http://articles.boston.com/2012-04-26/s ... l-epithets

Ward took the high ground:
"It doesn't faze me at all," Ward said. "We won, and we are moving on. … People are going to say what they want to say."
I noticed that. His was a good response, and a savvy one.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

"During the preseason, the NHL condemned an incident with racial overtones at a Detroit-Philadelphia game in London, Ontario.

A banana was thrown from the stands at Flyers winger Wayne Simmonds during a shootout. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said it was a “stupid and ignorant action.”"

Jesus H. Christ, what year is it?

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

What about all those people in Detroit throwing octopi on the ice?

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

heyzeus wrote:"During the preseason, the NHL condemned an incident with racial overtones at a Detroit-Philadelphia game in London, Ontario.

A banana was thrown from the stands at Flyers winger Wayne Simmonds during a shootout. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said it was a “stupid and ignorant action.”"

I don't want to paint with a broad brush here.....but I'm going to and please note that this is probably not true for even 4/5 of the stereotype I'm talking about, but imo is definitely true....that said...

Hockey (among other) young players (who become fans) are wealthy white suburbia sheltered [expletive] heads who have had everything handed to them on a silver platter. Even as adults they graduate college, get a job from mommy and daddy or uncle pat or dads investment banker friend and they never get out of wealthy white suburbia. They don't know anything about racism other than on the surface they were taught it is bad because we are all equal. In reality however they were subjected to an upbringing that while praising equality taught them there is a safety in only one world, the world you live in, and that world is rich and secluded. Don't go to certain areas because bad and scary people live there and you will be raped/mugged/murdered. And then, incorrectly, they associate that scary world with other races. Then, they see a black guy score a goal and because they are in their secluded little bubble with 100 like-minded twitter followers, they say extremely stupid things because they're angry and hurt.

And, by God, they know from when they were kids that there is no worse word in the english language than the N-word and if they want to hurt a black man, then by all means, just throw it out there and be as mean and hateful as possible and surely he will feel the pain that they shouldn't be feeling because BY GOD, they're white and can't be inconvenienced by a black person doing well. And then, because just saying the N-word might not be hurtful enough, remind the world that hockey is for white poeple only and despite the fact that he scored a game winning goal - which (pardon my trolling here) by the way knocked them out of the playofss HAHA - he still sucks and is a black person on top of it so shame on him.

It's racism, for sure, but racism isn't the main issue. It's an immaturity and ignorance and a sheltered existence that allows them to attack anyone outside their bubble to make themselves feel better. Think these same people wouldn't be screaming some sexist name about a female field goal kicker that beat their favorite football team on a last second field goal? It's ridiculous, but because it is the world in which they live, it is frowned upon in the public but tolerated in private and so it goes on.

JMO....but I've been noticing the same things time and again and had to get it out.

This is not an attack on anyone on this board, I don't believe this is the case about anyone here or anyone's kids or nephews or nieces or anything. I just think that there is a group of people out there that fits this very description.

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

Reminds me of the 13-year-old xbox player who throws that word around to get a rise out of people without fully comprehending why that word is so bad.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
heyzeus wrote:"During the preseason, the NHL condemned an incident with racial overtones at a Detroit-Philadelphia game in London, Ontario.

I don't want to paint with a broad brush here.....but I'm going to and please note that this is probably not true for even 4/5 of the stereotype I'm talking about, but imo is definitely true....that said...

Hockey (among other) young players (who become fans) are wealthy white suburbia sheltered [expletive] heads who have had everything handed to them on a silver platter. Even as adults they graduate college, get a job from mommy and daddy or uncle pat or dads investment banker friend and they never get out of wealthy white suburbia. They don't know anything about racism other than on the surface they were taught it is bad because we are all equal. In reality however they were subjected to an upbringing that while praising equality taught them there is a safety in only one world, the world you live in, and that world is rich and secluded. Don't go to certain areas because bad and scary people live there and you will be raped/mugged/murdered. And then, incorrectly, they associate that scary world with other races. Then, they see a black guy score a goal and because they are in their secluded little bubble with 100 like-minded twitter followers, they say extremely stupid things because they're angry and hurt.

And, by God, they know from when they were kids that there is no worse word in the english language than the N-word and if they want to hurt a black man, then by all means, just throw it out there and be as mean and hateful as possible and surely he will feel the pain that they shouldn't be feeling because BY GOD, they're white and can't be inconvenienced by a black person doing well. And then, because just saying the N-word might not be hurtful enough, remind the world that hockey is for white poeple only and despite the fact that he scored a game winning goal - which (pardon my trolling here) by the way knocked them out of the playofss HAHA - he still sucks and is a black person on top of it so shame on him.

It's racism, for sure, but racism isn't the main issue. It's an immaturity and ignorance and a sheltered existence that allows them to attack anyone outside their bubble to make themselves feel better. Think these same people wouldn't be screaming some sexist name about a female field goal kicker that beat their favorite football team on a last second field goal? It's ridiculous, but because it is the world in which they live, it is frowned upon in the public but tolerated in private and so it goes on.

JMO....but I've been noticing the same things time and again and had to get it out.

This is not an attack on anyone on this board, I don't believe this is the case about anyone here or anyone's kids or nephews or nieces or anything. I just think that there is a group of people out there that fits this very description.
In the US (Boston), that might fit. I don't think that applies to London, Ontario since hockey is more of a blue collar sport in Canada.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Popeye_Card wrote:
In the US (Boston), that might fit. I don't think that applies to London, Ontario since hockey is more of a blue collar sport in Canada.
Correct, I have never been to Canada.