Re: Rave: The Onion

Post by heyzeus »

ouch.

Maclowery
Child Pot Activist

Post by Maclowery »

EAST COAST BIAS!

I love me some onion, and I love that their midwest state of choice for mockery is good ol' Iowa.

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

http://www.theonion.com/video/in-the-kn ... w-e,20876/

Not the Earth's revolution but still cool:

http://www.livescience.com/178-spin-earth-rotation.html
When changes in the length of the day accumulate, it becomes necessary to add a leap second. The organization responsible for keeping track of this is the International Earth Rotation Service (IERS). Since 1972, the IERS has added 22 leap seconds. The last leap second was on Dec. 31, 1998. Learn More

The rotation data shows oscillations over several different timescales. The one with the largest variation is seasonal: Earth slows down in January and February.

"It turns out that during the Northern Hemisphere winter, the winds - which are predominantly west to east - are stronger," Salstein said.

The more forceful winds double the angular momentum of the atmosphere. Angular momentum is a conserved quantity in nature - the example usually given is the spinning ice skater conserving angular momentum by speeding up when she brings her arms in.

In this case, the whole system - comprised of the spinning Earth and swirling atmosphere - adjusts to the blustery winter months by slowing down the solid Earth's rotation. This means the days get longer - by a few thousandths of a second.

The winter in the Southern Hemisphere does not produce the same increase in wind because the bottom of the world is mostly ocean and the temperature swings are, therefore, not as great.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

AdmiralKird wrote:http://www.theonion.com/video/in-the-kn ... w-e,20876/

Not the Earth's revolution but still cool:

http://www.livescience.com/178-spin-earth-rotation.html
When changes in the length of the day accumulate, it becomes necessary to add a leap second. The organization responsible for keeping track of this is the International Earth Rotation Service (IERS). Since 1972, the IERS has added 22 leap seconds. The last leap second was on Dec. 31, 1998. Learn More

The rotation data shows oscillations over several different timescales. The one with the largest variation is seasonal: Earth slows down in January and February.

"It turns out that during the Northern Hemisphere winter, the winds - which are predominantly west to east - are stronger," Salstein said.

The more forceful winds double the angular momentum of the atmosphere. Angular momentum is a conserved quantity in nature - the example usually given is the spinning ice skater conserving angular momentum by speeding up when she brings her arms in.

In this case, the whole system - comprised of the spinning Earth and swirling atmosphere - adjusts to the blustery winter months by slowing down the solid Earth's rotation. This means the days get longer - by a few thousandths of a second.

The winter in the Southern Hemisphere does not produce the same increase in wind because the bottom of the world is mostly ocean and the temperature swings are, therefore, not as great.
Was New Year's 1999 pushed back a second?

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

Last night I watched The Onion movie. I expected to be highly disappointed, but I enjoyed it. The wife didn't get much out of it. I think the 'Armed Gunman' guy at the bank was my favorite part.

Maclowery
Child Pot Activist

Post by Maclowery »

I love the Onion movie. Then again, I haven't seen it in a year or two, and I was pretty much always stoned or drunk when I watched. That said, I thought the Onion TV shows were pretty un-funny.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

What does it mean when a site dedicated to scathing satire just has to print the truth?

planet planet
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy

Post by planet planet »

Michael wrote:U.S. Adds 4 Million Jobs But In St. Louis
WASHINGTON—The Labor Department reported Monday that the U.S. economy created a staggering 4 million jobs in October, though government officials hastened to add that the new positions are all located in the St. Louis metropolitan area. "New employment opportunities are emerging in the fields of engineering, medicine, and manufacturing, but, to be clear, one would have to move to and live in St. Louis to fill these openings," said government spokesperson Stephanie Bergsen, noting that the city has a high crime rate and not much in the way of culture, so be sure to take that into consideration. "Though this much- needed job growth would bring our unemployment rate down to a far more manageable six and a half percent, at the end of the day, it's St. Louis, so…" Republicans strategists are reportedly already planning to use President Obama's record of creating 4 million jobs in St. Louis as the basis for numerous attack ads.
Forbes article counter!

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

http://www.theonion.com/articles/least- ... nte,26835/

More hilarious because I think there is some truth to it.