Garbage on Facebook

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Garbage on Facebook

Post by pioneer98 »

I need to vent this morning regarding 2 things on Facebook.

First, my cousin posted a Tea Party thing today on Facebook that said “I support helping the needy. I oppose funding the lazy.” Now, before you say I have thin skin, some background information. My great-grandma was an immigrant. She and her husband owned and ran a restaurant in St. Louis for like 40+ years (some of you may know it – I’ll track down the name, but it switched names a few times over the years. The location never changed, though). They never owned a house (rented a small apartment their whole lives), never owned a car (walked to work) and they never took vacations. Because they lived so frugally, they saved up enough money to be millionaires through their hard work and some good investments. My cousin’s family is notoriously awful at spending and managing money, and they leeched off my great-grandma in her older years. She paid off a number of debts for them, including houses and nice cars (nicer than my family ever drove). So, this topic is an extremely sore subject on that side of the family. It is taking all the restraint and willpower I’ve got this morning not to reply to my cousin “Good thing great-grandma didn’t subscribe to that Tea Party philosophy, huh?!?!?!!?”

Secondly, we go to a church, believe it or not. We have been going about 3+ years now, and are starting to get more involved in it. A couple months ago I friended one guy on Facebook who is deeply involved in the church. I unsubscribed because literally 90% of what he posts are links to Drudge Report, Fox News and Michelle Malkin articles. I just unsubscribed from him. Since then I’ve friended a couple other people, and they do the same thing. What’s funny about this is that one thing that drew me to the church was how a-political and laid back it is. They don’t bring this stuff into the church, other than the occasional harmless joke about Joe Biden or whatever, which I laugh at, too. Believe me, the minute they bring this stuff into the church is the day we take ourselves out of it. I friended these people because I want to know how they are doing, what life events are going on, and, gee, maybe even some inspiration or laughs, which is what we get at church. I didn’t friend them to find out what Congressman King thinks about the [expletive] Fiscal Cliff. It’s just disappointing.

Now that that is out of my system...it strikes me that I'd have never learned these things before Facebook existed. Time to just give it up? Or do I just keep un-subscribing from people like these?

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: Garbage on Facebook

Post by heyzeus »

I started hiding people on facebook when it led me to lose respect for people I loved. If you have a hard time holding back from commenting on things that you find offensive or egregiously incorrect, Facebook is a bad thing.

I think Facebook is like an MP3 collection. If you don't carefully curate your list, removing the junk, you'll just end up frustrated by what you find. Delete all of your Black Eyed Peas friends that somehow snuck into your feed, is what I'm sayin'.

planet planet
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy

Post by planet planet »

heyzeus wrote:I started hiding people on facebook when it led me to lose respect for people I loved. If you have a hard time holding back from commenting on things that you find offensive or egregiously incorrect, Facebook is a bad thing.

I think Facebook is like an MP3 collection. If you don't carefully curate your list, removing the junk, you'll just end up frustrated by what you find. Delete all of your Black Eyed Peas friends that somehow snuck into your feed, is what I'm sayin'.

Since it's the offseason, am I allowed to sign something non-baseball related?

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

The simplest thing to do is just leave facebook. I thought I might miss it, I was wrong.
Last edited by jim on April 1 13, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

The goddamn "share" button is easily the worst addition in a long line of stupid additions/changes.

People these days seem to be under the impression that EVERYONE cares about whatever stupid [expletive] funny link some random person shared or that inspirational god quote some bible thumper posted on their timeline.

I really hate to do it, but I think time to trim my list down to like 10 people.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

jim wrote:The simplest thing to do is just leave facebook. I thought I might miss it, I was wrong. I was a rock star on facebook and I left, no biggy.
I thought you were special, jim. I thought you should know.

[/youtube]

M1IRONMIKE
Well hello, pilgrim

Post by M1IRONMIKE »

jim wrote:The simplest thing to do is just leave facebook. I thought I might miss it, I was wrong. I was a rock star on facebook and I left, no biggy.

rock star may be pushing it a bit jim!

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

I managed to successfully avoid the Louisville players gruesome injury for exactly 1 day and then some dickhole on Facebook thought itd be cute to post the picture. Got to see it right before eating lunch too.

I immediately deleted him and this will be my policy from now on for those who like to share pics of deformed babies for "causes" or burn victims or whatever. Listen my heart bleeds for those people but no one wants to see that stuff.

Regardless of who you are I will delete you from now on.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Radbird wrote:
I thought you were special, jim. I thought you should know.

[/youtube]
I never wrote that. Someone who knows how much I despise the term "rock star" put that in.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

conspiracy time