Garbage on Facebook

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Re: Garbage on Facebook

Post by Arthur Dent »

Freed Roger wrote:FB is good for something - it helped me remember that I forgot my wedding anniversary before my wife remembered that she forgot.
Ha.

Neither my wife or I can remember either, but fortunately, if needed, the date can be found by Googling 'supreme court gay marriage date', which makes me happy.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

wart57 wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:Saw one on the 4th

"As we celebrate our freedom - this is happening now in North Korea [testimonial -example massive human oppression]"

Now? It's been going on a while. It is not new - Trump right wing just suddenly interested in it as a way to rally some Nationalism, distract Americans from their smash and grab.

Also, North Korea as the bar for which we compare our freedom to......

This weeks Murica circle jerk was intolerable. I thought I had gotten rid of all those people on facebook but they came roaring back. I probably unfollowed another dozen people this week.
Yea, the 4th of July really sucks.

Not as much as Christmas and Easter, though! :wink:

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Unfriended my wife's cousin today. Felt soooooooooooo good. Closet racist.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

I don't think I've ever had an ad for a car pop up on facebook, until a Dodge Challenger one yesterday.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

One of the large groups on Facebook I'm in that is about politics was infiltrated by a ring wing radio personality in Des Moines. He took screenshots of a bunch of people's posts and comments and put them in a blog post and talked about them in his radio show, by name. He didn't black out names or anything. The blog post:
http://whoradio.iheart.com/featured/sim ... z4pwWwAoLI

If you read the stuff he's calling out as "disturbing", it's just people talking about trying to get one of the like 2 or 3 Confederate monuments in the state of Iowa have taken down. Then one of the women that I'm friends with was called out. She was just asking people to go and leave comments under these racially charged articles, because the comments were being overrun by white supremacists.

So yeah. This radio station is an iHeart affililiate, but they don't give a [expletive].

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Representatives of Facebook told congressional investigators Wednesday that it has discovered it sold ads during the U.S. presidential election to a shadowy Russian company seeking to target voters, according to several people familiar with the company’s findings.

Facebook officials reported that they traced the ad sales, totaling $100,000, to a Russian “troll farm” with a history of pushing pro-Kremlin propaganda, these people said.

A small portion of the ads, which began in the summer of 2015, directly named Republican nominee Donald Trump and Democrat Hillary Clinton, the people said. Most of the ads focused on pumping politically divisive issues such as gun rights and immigration fears, as well as gay rights and racial discrimination.

The acknowledgment by Facebook comes as congressional investigators and special counsel Robert Mueller are probing Russian interference in the U.S. election, including allegations that the Kremlin may have coordinated with the Trump campaign.
Link

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

Michael wrote:
Most of the ads focused on pumping politically divisive issues such as gun rights and immigration fears, as well as gay rights and racial discrimination.
Pretty sure we'd have plenty of that with or without Russian assistance.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer

Post by TimeForGuinness »

I wonder if they're behind all the anti-vax stuff...seems like an easy way to weaken a nation.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Arthur Dent wrote:
Michael wrote:
Most of the ads focused on pumping politically divisive issues such as gun rights and immigration fears, as well as gay rights and racial discrimination.
Pretty sure we'd have plenty of that with or without Russian assistance.
lol. My initial thought was....they spent $100k to bring up issues on facebook that half the people on facebook post about regularly?

That's like....a restaurant paying money to give you an advertisement about the steak you just ate.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

makes sense though. people check that [expletive] 10x a day, meaning 10x a day they get a little more riled up about what they think is important. instead of 1x a day like, when you'd watch the news or read the paper and then got on with your life.