rant: fine dining

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
tlombard
tl;dr

Re: rant: fine dining

Post by tlombard »

While it isn't really fine dining, I went to Sauce on the Side for the first time in a few years on Friday and I had completely forgotten what I was missing. I don't know why I haven't been going there more since I pass by location at Tower Grove and Manchester at least once every day of the work week. So good and such a reasonable price. I need to make it there more.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

The review of the Gerard Craft collaboration with Lion's Choice was pretty brutal. I was really looking forward to trying that sandwich too. I guess I'll just have to stick to the regular roast beef when I head there soon.

Is it odd that I just read a bad review of an item at Lion's Choice but came away craving the classic roast beef anyway?

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Spending the next 4 days in downtown Chicago, then Indianapolis. Where's the best Chicago steakhouse? Don't care about the cost.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:Spending the next 4 days in downtown Chicago, then Indianapolis. Where's the best Chicago steakhouse? Don't care about the cost.
Michael would be better to answer this, but Chicago Chop House, Gene & Georgetti, or Gibson's are all great choices.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

My buddy was raving about RPM Steak after a recent trip.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I tried Giordano's on Saturday and Beggar's yesterday. I have to say that Blackthorn's deep dish pizza is better than either of those. The difference is all in the sauce. Blackthorn's sauce has a kick to it while the two pizzas I had while passing through Chicago had a sauce that was just way too bland compared to Blackthorn.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Eating at a nice steakhouse in Hilton Head tonight to celebrate my anniversary. Hard to beat a filet.

Weather sucks in Hilton Head today if you were wondering.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Had the best steak I’ve ever had last weekend at Joseph Decuis outside of Ft Wayne, Indiana. They raise their own wagyu just down the road.
The restaurant and farm is owned by the sister of an old classmate and her husband, and he just happened to be there the same night we were so they extended an invite to tour the farm and meet the tasty cows. Turns out the farmer/restauranteur was a Yankee farmhand back in the 70s who blew out his shoulder and moved to the Yankee front office at age 23.

Check out this story.
After a shoulder injury ended my brief minor league baseball career, I went to work in the New York Yankees front office for George Steinbrenner. It was 1977: We won the World Series, the Bronx was burning, I met my future wife, Alice – and I got to know Yogi Berra.

Yogi was a coach working for Yankees manager Billy Martin. As a 23-year-old front-office employee, I saw Yogi every day during home games at Yankee Stadium. Each game day, around 4 p.m., I’d go to Billy’s office and deliver two reports.

The first one went to Yogi – his son Dale Berra’s game report. Yogi was very interested in how his son was doing in the minor leagues. Second, I would hand-deliver the "advance scouting report" to Billy Martin. This report was Steinbrenner’s midseason brainchild and, as he put it, his "secret weapon."

Yankee scouts would scout the opposing team in advance and I would take the data and put it in a report that was supposed to enable Yankee hitters to predict pitches.

As I would hand Billy the report, Yogi would say, "Pete, just put it in the round file."

I quickly learned that was the trash can.

Billy, Yogi and the coaches never read this report.

Coincidentally, when I began delivering the "round file" reports, the Yankees went on a winning spree, winning the pennant and then the World Series.

Steinbrenner summoned us all into his office to brag about his brainstorm of the "advance scouting report" and how this "secret weapon" turned the season around. Thus the power of Yogi’s "round file."
http://www.journalgazette.net/opinion/c ... ke-8988284

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

The round file is an awesome story!

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:Spending the next 4 days in downtown Chicago, then Indianapolis. Where's the best Chicago steakhouse? Don't care about the cost.
Old School Iconic Chicago Steakhouse: Gibsons
New School: Bavettes or Swift & Sons

Not a huge steakhouse guy, but in general I prefer new school. I've read Gene & Georgetti is treading on its reputation.

edit - I just noticed that post is from a couple of months ago. Doh!