rant: fine dining

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: rant: fine dining

Post by lukethedrifter »

ghostrunner wrote:We’re on Gibson, a few blocks away! Will probably hit it. Thanks, gents.
I use to live on Gibson.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

We went to Pappy’s yesterday and Crown Candy today. Surprised Pappy's had Carolina vinegar sauce on the tables. We all ended up getting pulled pork with the vinegar sauce because that’s our idea of barbecue and we’re always looking for a good version of it outside of NC. Good but probably not their best offering. Crown Candy was good and I stuffed myself.

Mission taco is tonight. Grace meat and three isn’t open for the week until tomorrow, so we may try and squeeze it in for lunch before we leave town.

Had a really good breakfast at Rise Coffee yesterday too. Deep menu for a coffee shop.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

I'll be honest, never been to Pappys.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

The ribs and turkey are my favorites at Pappy's.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

ghostrunner wrote:We went to Pappy’s yesterday and Crown Candy today. Surprised Pappy's had Carolina vinegar sauce on the tables. We all ended up getting pulled pork with the vinegar sauce because that’s our idea of barbecue and we’re always looking for a good version of it outside of NC. Good but probably not their best offering. Crown Candy was good and I stuffed myself.

Mission taco is tonight. Grace meat and three isn’t open for the week until tomorrow, so we may try and squeeze it in for lunch before we leave town.

Had a really good breakfast at Rise Coffee yesterday too. Deep menu for a coffee shop.
Ah Pappy's. I was just a couple of blocks away during the work day. Actually, if you noticed the big grassy area next to Pappy's and the building at the other side of it (towards the highway with lots of glass), that's one of my company's R&D facilities. Before we got bought by the Germans, it was our main R&D facility but now I guess it is just one of a few.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Can we talk about World’s Fair Donuts and how those people need to retire? I had a lot of mixed emotions waiting in line, including I should not be encouraging them to work by buying their donuts. The woman especially. I wasn’t sure she could see partly because she appears to be permanently bent over and I never saw her face. My wife couldn’t deal and decided not to get any, mostly out of concern it might not be very clean. Neither of us is usually squeamish about that stuff.

I still bought some and they were pretty good. But man.

Oh yeah. Grace Meat + Three was delicious. Glad we worked it in.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I can't believe that couple is still there every single day at World's Fair Donuts. There is rarely a morning that I don't want to stop in and pick up a couple of donuts but I only stop in a couple of times a year.

The main reason is that they don't accept anything but cash really. I never have cash on me. If they took plastic, I probably wouldn't fit through a set of double doors. I get what you are saying about them needing to retire. I'm hoping that the reason they haven't retired is because they love what they do and just don't know how to not work versus not being able to retire financially.

The lady is still pretty darn sharp though. A year or so when I was in there I had a brain cramp and thought she had charged me the wrong price when she manually added it up on one of the boxes since I bought a couple of dozen to bring to work. She set me straight real quick. I just apologized and slunk out of there in shame. I felt so stupid.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Come on Ghost Wife, no germ can survive a 350 degree vat of oil!
It's [expletive] Science yo!

Or can it?.. and the toppings, and post-fryer.

...Never been to Worlds Fair.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Not fine dining, but dont see an appropriate thread.
Kids wanted somewhere with crepes. the Rooster was out the door so we moved on to new place in Tower Grove area. Fiddlehead Fern(sp?) Cafe i think. Tidy little place. Coffee was good.

Most of their dishes are toasts with ingredients on top. open faced sandwiches really. BLT eggs open face. Or avacado etc, apple brie....

Needless to say, Open faced sandwiches have inherent issues.
But the bread they toasted and served it on was a chewy ciabatta bread. With the stuff on it, it wasnt possible to pick up and eat like,.. um ..toast. So we tried to fork thru it. No luck.

Then we had to grind away with a butter knife (maybe steak knife would be better. ) By time the ciabatta toast was cut thru the whole dish was a dissected mess. I liked the pieces of it, but doesnt work as advertised.

Anyways, was hungry as heck and wanted to like the place, but ultimately it didn't work on the food side. Coffee was good though. I have to wonder, do the proprietors eat these failed dishes themselves? Why can't they notice that their toast has issues?

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

33anda3rd wrote:
haltz wrote:
To your other point, TDS sits in a 120 year old building surrounded by new condo construction and the moment their lease is up, they're gonna be out of there.
That's too bad. When I was there the space felt like part of the magic.
It is. But Shin sold the building to Anshul, the money guy behind the Furious Spoon ramen places and Shin's partner there. Because Anshul's pharma group makes tens of millions and he needs to put it somewhere. And Anshul will sell the building as soon as Matt's lease is up because that whole block is condos now and the land alone is worth a million easy. But the scraped-together feel, the communal tables made by a neighbor, the reclaimed barn wood that Matt loaded into Shin's old Rav4 on a 22 degree day to build the bar, the patio, the whole thing, it's just a miracle that place exists and that it's still going after six-plus years and it's really a testament to Matt and what he built with industry and with the neighbors there. And it infuriates me that the goddamn mothergrabbing foodies will make at least part of the last couple years of that space difficult over a [expletive] hamburger.
I was gonna start a rant about how much I hate Yelp and thought I'd search for an existing one first, so then saw all these Table Donkey posts. Great stuff, 33, thanks for posting. I have a soft spot for that place. I used to live across the street from it (not in those lofts). Remember that there used to be a cell phone repair shop on the south side of Armitage, right next to Katherine Anne? It's gone now, but I lived in the back of that old two story building with my girlfriend in a 2 bed we used to pay $850/month for. Good times. That whole area has absolutely blown the hell up. Those days are gone.

Anyway, we lived across the street from TDS for probably like a year or two before I realized that it was even a restaurant, it was that inconspicuous. They didn't have sidewalk seating yet and never used to open the front windows and the paint was originally . Figured it out eventually and gave it a try and damn, what a gem. That little patio out back was just the best. Then the bar had it's own vibe, those seats looking into the kitchen, etc. Great vibes there and always great, real food. Nice memories of that spot. Sorry to hear what they're going through.