rant: fine dining

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: rant: fine dining

Post by lukethedrifter »

lukethedrifter wrote:I know where you can find the perfect biscuit. I’m not kidding.
Size
[SHOW]

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

thrill wrote:Yeah they have those and also red lobsters pretty much everywhere.
MrCrowesGarden wrote:We've all been to Popeye's before.

This is what happens when you haven’t had the perfect biscuit.

Which is pictured here
[SHOW]
Last edited by lukethedrifter on June 28 18, 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

But I have, at Popeye's.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Ok, I'll bite. Luke, where is that biscuit from?

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

33anda3rd wrote:Ok, I'll bite. Luke, where is that biscuit from?

My wife made it. I taught her how to make biscuits when I met her about summary years ago and she quickly surpassed me then she surpassed every biscuit I’ve ever had anywhere. It’s the near mythical combination of flaky crispy crust and fluffy inside.
She will be the first to tell you the compliments don’t come easy from me but it really is the perfect biscuit. Pretty basic, she uses lard and butter, good Lord. King Arthur flour little salt baking soda, baking powder. The rest is proportion and touch. I sent her to pastry camp a couple years ago for a gift and she applied some of the technique she learned there.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

You married well, sir.

Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Post by Diddy »

Biscuit Love in Nashville makes the perfect biscuits. All
Different types of biscuits done to perfection.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Diddy wrote:Biscuit Love in Nashville makes the perfect biscuits. All
Biscuit Love is a nice place. Their biscuits are, however, trash. I was totally disappointed.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

I hear what you're saying, 33. At our old apartment in downtown St. Paul, there were two places we would go to for brunch.

One was my favorite restaurant in the area. Saint Dinette. Not too fancy (t-shirt and shorts were fine, but you'd also see just as many people in business casual or sometimes even more formal ware) but still somewhat upscale. Their menu changes about once a month, but usually only slightly. For example, they have a shrimp and grits dish that has been on the dinner menu for the past year, but they keep changing up the style of ham used, or the sauce, or the black garlic, etc. Their brunch menu is solid for the same reasons. http://www.saintdinette.com/menus/#brunch

The other place we relied on for brunch was a sports bar chain about two blocks down the road from Saint Dinette. World of Beer. Obviously a completely different style of place to go for brunch, but they have a solid menu overall for it (we really didn't care too much for their regular dinner menu, so if we went during the week it was usually just for a drink/cocktail rather than food). They also tie it in to their "Beerunch" special, where you get unlimited mimosas/beermosas/bloody Mary's. We would usually come here on Sundays during football season and spend several hours there. They serve traditional brunch hangover style food - I always got the huevos rancheros, and Mrs. Swirls usually got chicken and waffles or the eggs benedict. https://worldofbeer.com/TavernMenus/StPaul

Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Post by Diddy »

lukethedrifter wrote:
Diddy wrote:Biscuit Love in Nashville makes the perfect biscuits. All
Biscuit Love is a nice place. Their biscuits are, however, trash. I was totally disappointed.
I had everything on the menu and it was all outstanding. I like rich things and the chocolate gravy was a little rich for even me would be my only complaint. I don’t know what happened when you were there.