[expletive] Apple

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Re: [expletive] Apple

Post by Radbird »

Yeah, I need to recycle this obsolete desktop and get a macbook.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

Radbird wrote:Got a message to update iTunes which I did. Now I can't open it - get an error message: "the program can't start because MSVCR80.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

I googled it and ended up on an Apple forum.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/58 ... 0&tstart=0

Suggested fix?
Remove all of these items in the following order:

iTunes
Apple Software Update
Apple Mobile Device Support (if this won't uninstall press on)
Bonjour
Apple Application Support

Reboot, download iTunes, then reinstall, either using an account with administrative rights, or right-clicking the downloaded installer and selecting Run as Administrator.

The uninstall and reinstall process will preserve your iTunes library and settings, but ideally you would back up the library and your other important personal documents and data on a regular basis. See this user tip for a suggested technique.

Please note:

Some users may need to follow all the steps in whichever of the following support documents applies to their system. These include some additional manual file and folder deletions not mentioned above.

HT1925: Removing and Reinstalling iTunes for Windows XP
HT1923: Removing and reinstalling iTunes for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8
Sure, I've got several hours to go through all this [expletive] because [expletive] Apple [expletive] up their [expletive] update.

FML. And [expletive] Apple.

/first world problem
Oh, just f'ing great, I did that update...is that happening to everyone?

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

I bought a Mac Mini back in April or May and I'm really happy with it so far. It handles just about everything I've thrown at it.

Admittedly, I do a lot of design work, so I'm part of Apple's sweet, crunchy target market.

ndistops
All-Star

Post by ndistops »

A similar thing happened to me. Tried to update iTunes and suddenly it all went to hell. I tried to download an older version but it didn't work either.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

I have been having trouble with itunes sync'ing my phone. It doesn't sync, and it just gets stuck on the last step. Finally today someone suggested I just blow away all of my music on my phone and re-sync, and that worked. But I've been having sync problems off and on pretty much since I got my phone. itunes really sucks ass, although I do still say the macbook is infinitely better than any windows machine.

New Pagodi
Perennial All-Star

Post by New Pagodi »

Radbird wrote:Got a message to update iTunes which I did. Now I can't open it - get an error message: "the program can't start because MSVCR80.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

I googled it and ended up on an Apple forum.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/58 ... 0&tstart=0

Suggested fix?
Remove all of these items in the following order:

iTunes
Apple Software Update
Apple Mobile Device Support (if this won't uninstall press on)
Bonjour
Apple Application Support

Reboot, download iTunes, then reinstall, either using an account with administrative rights, or right-clicking the downloaded installer and selecting Run as Administrator.

The uninstall and reinstall process will preserve your iTunes library and settings, but ideally you would back up the library and your other important personal documents and data on a regular basis. See this user tip for a suggested technique.

Please note:

Some users may need to follow all the steps in whichever of the following support documents applies to their system. These include some additional manual file and folder deletions not mentioned above.

HT1925: Removing and Reinstalling iTunes for Windows XP
HT1923: Removing and reinstalling iTunes for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8
Sure, I've got several hours to go through all this [expletive] because [expletive] Apple [expletive] up their [expletive] update.

FML. And [expletive] Apple.

/first world problem
MSVCR80.dll is the visual c runtime library from visual studio 2005. Installing the redistributable package from here should give you the dlls you need.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Thanks, NP. I'll give it a shot.

ndistops
All-Star

Post by ndistops »

Rad, after some jiggering, the list of things to do from the forum that you posted earlier worked. Newest iTunes downloaded with no further issues. The order you uninstall those programs didn't matter for me. Thanks for posting that.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

ndistops wrote:A similar thing happened to me. Tried to update iTunes and suddenly it all went to hell. I tried to download an older version but it didn't work either.
I tried to download iTunes onto my laptop and broke the thing. So much malware and [expletive] got installed I had to take our IT guy out to lunch after he spent 4 hours un [expletive] it up. Still have programs like strongvault and weird [expletive] on there. Dunno what the hell happened, and then iTunes wouldn't work. I just had to uninstall it.

Yes. [expletive] apple.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

iTunes is an absolute disaster.