Re: Rave: Wisco

Post by Jocephus »

^love that movie

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Don't forget the beer.

Was up there recently - they do seem to appreciate the important things in life - like the outdoors, dairy, meat, beer, family, football (and baseball, when football isn't going on), Americana, and beer and meat and dairy.

The people factor, that's hard for me to gauge, since it is so divided. It's not bible belt so that is kind of nice. It's very white and So am I. But I sense an intrinsic fear of outsiders that aren't so.

Anyway, we really like to celebrate July 4 or Labor day up there. We were laughing at the wide-open old school celebration of July 4th - people out enjoying the rivers and lakes, bike riders everywhere, fireworks going berserk in people's yards. They do it right.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Freed Roger wrote: The people factor, that's hard for me to gauge, since it is so divided. It's not bible belt so that is kind of nice. It's very white and So am I. But I sense an intrinsic fear of outsiders that aren't so.
My experiences might be a bit skewed, we owned a home a few miles outside of a little hippie town called Viroqua. It's the weirdest town - all the hippies and artists from Madison moved there in the 70's, and it's this weird mix of hippies, Amish, dairy farmers, and a few that have just said [expletive] it all I want to do with my life is fish for trout. A buddy of mine was up fishing one weekend and we went into this organic (what else?) store that makes the best sandwiches, and he commented that he never in his life had seen such a different mixture of people in one building in his life. You had the 60 year old long grey haired no bra wearing ladies with their peace signs, a couple of dairy farmers, a couple of grime covered toothless guys, and an Amish family to go along with some of the locals. I was sort of used to it by then, but I had to agree. Some things you never got over though, like when I would go into the Walmart and the Amish kids were playing the Big Buck Fever arcade game out front. Don't see that everywhere. Yet you also had the typical small town folks - my neighbor across the street was an old dairy farmer named Luther, born in the house he lived in. Sometimes when people would have to come out to the place for whatever, if they weren't familiar with the road then we would ask them if they knew Luther. "Ah, you are across from Luther's place. I know exactly where that is". So, you had those types too.

When we bought there and lived there we were welcomed with open arms, unlike anything I have experienced. It just got to be too much work to keep the house up, but we trusted so many people implicitly. We had given keys out to several people, a heating place, our neighbor, I'd give my keys to the barn to the John Deere dealer if they needed to come out and work on the tractor. It just got to be a chore, and we had to ditch the plans of retiring there, but now me and my wife have found ourselves going up there again at least 1x month. I used to go by myself to fish, now she goes with me because she likes the area, the town, and the people so much. I will say that when we had the place I my hate of winter intensified - the first year we had > 100 inches of snow and the little tractor I had was no match for it by January. But snow and all, I wouldn't be surprise if we ended up back there. It's so cheap, I could retire 5 years earlier and be in good shape. I would really have to take some long winter vacations, but the summers more than make for it up there.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

My sister in law, the native that I know best, seems to epitomize the Wisconsinite that you describe.

Farmer's daughter, raised in a rural religious home (some early 1900s doomsday church that survived-Advent Christian). She has long since disavowed the church, yet afterwards continued to play piano on Sundays at the old farm church for years.

She now is state worker living in former GM town Janesville, and unique free spirit. Nice as can be-one of my favorite people. Genuine. Has the oo ya, Wisc accent too.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

stlouie_lipp wrote:Yeah, I love them too.

[/youtube]
I'm such a moron. I was looking for something Wisconsin related in the song.

ZebulonPikeWasHere
Single A Minor League Player

Post by ZebulonPikeWasHere »

Wisconsin is a good place to pee on the drive up to the UP.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Weekday tooling around breweries nets 4 excellent Free craft beers. New Glarus was a coupon thing, but the other place in Verona was purely gratis.
New Glarus beer called Uff-Da. Sehr gut!

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

jim, freeze your equipment. And, yes, I do mean your rod (and reel).
An invasive snail has been found in a trout stream in Dane County, spurring fears that it could spread to other Wisconsin waterways.The New Zealand mud snail was discovered last month in Black Earth Creek, which is popular for trout fishing. The snail is a little larger than a grain of sand but it reproduces so quickly that biologists say it could significantly alter the food chain
Officials say the best way to ensure you're not transporting the snails is to freeze your equipment for eight hours after leaving the water. You could also clean your gear thoroughly and let it dry for at least five days, Campbell said.
http://www.startribune.com/local/232057651.html

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

That thing is all over trout rivers. It gets in boots, waders and canoes. It's a menace.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Had some great brats that my wife* purchased in Wisconsin...at a gas station. And washed it down with some great Ale Asylum beer from a gas station.

*when she goes to WI she better bring back a gift for me. I pictured her forgetting and stopping at the gas station on the way out and thinking this ought to keep him happy. And it worked.