BMI

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Re: BMI

Post by IMADreamer »

Good to know a number of Cardinals are obese and will die young just like me.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

I do have a thick lower half, so maybe that's why my BMI is so high. I think ideally my weight wakeup weight is 190-195, that would be pretty trim. I've been carrying my weight at 195-200, except I went on vacation a month ago and now I'm right at 200-202 in the mornings, so I really should try to take a few pounds off. My problem is that I just drink so much damn beer that it's not easy to do.

The Third Man
It rubs the lotion on its skin.

Post by The Third Man »

jim wrote:I do have a thick lower half, so maybe that's why my BMI is so high. I think ideally my weight wakeup weight is 190-195, that would be pretty trim. I've been carrying my weight at 195-200, except I went on vacation a month ago and now I'm right at 200-202 in the mornings, so I really should try to take a few pounds off. My problem is that I just drink so much damn beer that it's not easy to do.
I've pretty much ignored my alcohol consumption for the purposes of my current diet, because I like to go out and get a good drunk going on and if I have to change that part of my social life I'm probably not going to stick with any diet like I should. Fortunately I'm eating at a pretty major deficit (1,500-1,700 calories a day most days, maintenance is around 2,700) so it hasn't been a problem. Lost 12 pounds in the last 6-7 weeks (198 to 186), shooting to lose another 10 or so and see how I look from there before deciding whether to keep going a little more or bulk up.

However, I have pretty much stuck with the hard stuff in the interest of trimming off a few extra calories from my drinking nights. Vodka has like a third of the calories of a good beer. I do miss my Old Rasputin, though.

MrSaigon

Post by MrSaigon »

That PA is going to cause eating disorders. You really should tell someone that she's horrible.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

The Third Man wrote:
jim wrote:I do have a thick lower half, so maybe that's why my BMI is so high. I think ideally my weight wakeup weight is 190-195, that would be pretty trim. I've been carrying my weight at 195-200, except I went on vacation a month ago and now I'm right at 200-202 in the mornings, so I really should try to take a few pounds off. My problem is that I just drink so much damn beer that it's not easy to do.
I've pretty much ignored my alcohol consumption for the purposes of my current diet, because I like to go out and get a good drunk going on and if I have to change that part of my social life I'm probably not going to stick with any diet like I should. Fortunately I'm eating at a pretty major deficit (1,500-1,700 calories a day most days, maintenance is around 2,700) so it hasn't been a problem. Lost 12 pounds in the last 6-7 weeks (198 to 186), shooting to lose another 10 or so and see how I look from there before deciding whether to keep going a little more or bulk up.

However, I have pretty much stuck with the hard stuff in the interest of trimming off a few extra calories from my drinking nights. Vodka has like a third of the calories of a good beer. I do miss my Old Rasputin, though.
I've lost about 12-15 lbs since February. Lifting less and drinking less, I'm not 100% sure what the reason is, and while it's probably a combination of both, I'd venture a guess that cutting the excessive alcohol consumption has more to do with it than lifting once or twice a week as opposed to 3 or 4 times.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Radbird wrote:
She asks me about a bunch of stuff, then looks at my charts and says "let's see what we have here....you're 190 pounds and have a BMI of 30, which means you're definitely obese." My reply was "Did you look back through my file to see that I've lost 40-50 pounds over the last couple of years?" So she looks and says "I see, but you need to be under 165 according to the charts, so you've still got a way to go here." Told her I was on an exercise program too and her only response was "well, it must be a minimum of 30 minutes a day of aggressive cardio", insinuating without even asking that there's no way in hell I could be doing anything close to that. Well, thanks for the encouragement, sweetheart....nice bedside manner, too. At that point I just shut up and waited for the exam to be over.
I would literally copy and paste this into a letter, add an opening paragraph stating when you showed up, add a closing paragraph stating this is the reason you'll be leaving, sign it and drop it off personally at your doctors office, addressed to your doctor. You can be sure he'll get it that way and you don't have to deal with that bull [expletive] again. I'd be pissed beyond words if someone took a 'I know everything about medicine and you don't know [expletive]' approach.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

someone sent me this in an email yesterday. I think it's from the barstoolsports website.

The Third Man

Post by The Third Man »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote: I've lost about 12-15 lbs since February. Lifting less and drinking less, I'm not 100% sure what the reason is, and while it's probably a combination of both, I'd venture a guess that cutting the excessive alcohol consumption has more to do with it than lifting once or twice a week as opposed to 3 or 4 times.
I always wonder to what extent booze actually affects fat and weight gain/loss. There's all kinds of conflicting studies and anecdotal evidence (e.g. everybody knows what a beer belly is, but on the flip side if alcohol were that big of a detriment to being fit there wouldn't be so many ripped frat bros, etc.). Speaking for myself, as somebody who drank heavily last summer - I'm talking buzzed or drunk four or five nights a week for a coupla-three months despite working an 8 to 4 desk job - I never noticed it having much of an impact one way or the other, and that was back when I wasn't putting any thought into what I ate either. Complicated subject to study, I imagine.

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

The Third Man wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote: I've lost about 12-15 lbs since February. Lifting less and drinking less, I'm not 100% sure what the reason is, and while it's probably a combination of both, I'd venture a guess that cutting the excessive alcohol consumption has more to do with it than lifting once or twice a week as opposed to 3 or 4 times.
I always wonder to what extent booze actually affects fat and weight gain/loss. There's all kinds of conflicting studies and anecdotal evidence (e.g. everybody knows what a beer belly is, but on the flip side if alcohol were that big of a detriment to being fit there wouldn't be so many ripped frat bros, etc.). Speaking for myself, as somebody who drank heavily last summer - I'm talking buzzed or drunk four or five nights a week for a coupla-three months despite working an 8 to 4 desk job - I never noticed it having much of an impact one way or the other, and that was back when I wasn't putting any thought into what I ate either. Complicated subject to study, I imagine.
Work out 2+ hours a day, every day, and have the metabolism of a 20 year old, you'll be ripped no matter what you eat/drink.

The Third Man

Post by The Third Man »

I never had that metabolism. I feel like I got robbed in the genetic lottery.