BMI

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Re: BMI

Post by docellis »

The only times I have weighed 130 lbs have been after severe stomach flus and one time, years ago, I stopped eating meat for about 7 months. I dropped weight faster than I could buy clothes.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

You probably had to buy a whole new sock wardrobe

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

at least the PA didn't tell you that you had ghetto booty

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Speaking of BMI I'm getting ready to get half way serious about taking off the 5 pounds I've put on this summer. I don't know how everyone else is, but I actually gain more weight in the summer than the winter which I think is contrary to common perception. As you may have guessed, I love summer and eat and drink it up, and it shows on the scale. I work out less, eat and drink more, and basically say [expletive] it in the summer time. I still workout pretty regularly, it's just that I'll be much more inclined to skip a workout or take it easy. In the winter there is nothing else to do, so I'll workout 6x per week if not 7. Summer ... 5 tops. This coming weekend is another fishing weekend, which means no working out(but lots of hiking), blocks of 10 year old cheddar cheese, bags of cheese curds, the $12 Prime Rib Special at the Viking Inn in Viroqua on Saturday night, and lots of New Glarus and Lake Louie.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

We didn't keep a scale around for years. Now we do. Since I've gotten back into shape and to a baseline healthy weight for me (in the green zone now-keeping off 20lbs for 2 years) the cause and effect is interesting. Observations:

I am surprised how much my weight fluctuates over the normal course of living - without any major activity level or eating changes. It is not abnormal for my weight to move within a range of 7 lbs in a few days (7lbs is approx 4.5% of my avg weight during this time).

I drop several pounds of sweat on a good long run -and then gain it back by the end of the day. may even go up in weight after an anaerobic gym workout, but the weight goes down the next day.

After a crap- down maybe 1-2 lbs ( I expected more- I haven't check this too often though). A weekend of drinking beer and eating - it spikes, but goes back down with resuming the work week routine.

Most surprising is sleep. I lose 2-3 lbs after a night's sleep.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

I always weigh myself in the morning at the health club after a workout. By then, I have naturally taken one if not two healthy craps. Given the water weight I may have lost during the working, combined with that, it's the lowest of the day. But it certainly can fluctuate, and that is why I wasn't convinced I picked up a few pounds on vacation a month ago until the past week or two. I was weighing more than I had in some time, which was an indicator, but I half way expected just to crap that out over the next week. It didn't happen, it stuck.

Having wrestled and cut weight in HS I have always been well aware of what a good crap, a piss, or even spitting for a half hour can do to your weight. Up to 2 pounds, up to a pound, and up to a quarter of a pound respectively.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Last week - I went temporarily below 150lbs for first time (that I know of) since college. That day, I had all the fluctuating factors working - crap, morning, did a long workout in hot weather, didn't eat that morning or several hours before sleep.

I've noticed that working out in the AM seems to kick start my metabolism/fat burning capabilities. My friend, he lost a whole lot with a morning routine.

I wish I could drag my arse out of bed more often for this - Not so much for weight loss, but the helpful endurance aspects of accessing fat for energy.

I've read about endurance athletes in their training doing some LSD workouts without eating for 12+ hours prior to going out. With caution tried it a few times. I felt sluggish during, with poor performance. But a few days later I felt like it had worked- burned some fat, dropped a few pounds -and seem leaner.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/1 ... fast/?_r=0
Last edited by Freed Roger on July 29 13, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Working out absolutely kick starts your metabolism. It seems years ago there may have been some still questioning if you burnt more calories post workout than you would have had you not worked out. You do. Can't find the link right now.

The Third Man
It rubs the lotion on its skin.

Post by The Third Man »

I only bother logging my weight anymore after a night of heavy drinking. That'll flush every damn thing out of your system and give you a number you can rely on.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

docellis wrote:The only times I have weighed 130 lbs have been after severe stomach flus and one time, years ago, I stopped eating meat for about 7 months. I dropped weight faster than I could buy clothes.
I lost most of my weight with a low carb diet. Got my blood test results back and have elevated LDL levels, likely due to that (including eggs most mornings). So need to change things up. Never thought I'd say this, but going to drastically cut back on meat, cheese, eggs for awhile. Have to research things to make sure it's a balanced, healthy diet so haven't figured out exactly what it'll be yet (any suggestions would be appreciated).