BMI

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Re: BMI

Post by jim »

I workout in the morning primarily because then I know I'll get it in. If I did it after work - I know I wouldn't do it every night. That's the main reason, but I've also seen studies where they said people that work out before breakfast lost more weight than people that worked out after.

docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Post by docellis »

lukethedrifter wrote:at least the PA didn't tell you that you had ghetto booty
I definitely have one of those.

Rad, I didn't feel healthy when I eliminated meat at all. I felt weak, I lost energy, worked out less. But this was at least 10 years ago and I didn't know "how" to do it properly. I think you definitely have to be more educated than I was to do it right.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

woah a bot

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Nice bump, bot.

Anyway, the criticisms of BMI are overblown and it's a good measure for like 99% of the population.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

When I got out of Boot Camp I was a lean mean fighting machine but my BMI listed me as 22 pounds overweight. It is not a great measurement for a lot of people based on their bone structure; etc. When I am dead and buried 94 years from now you can check my skeleton's BMI and it will probably still be obese.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

CardsofSTL wrote:When I got out of Boot Camp I was a lean mean fighting machine but my BMI listed me as 22 pounds overweight. It is not a great measurement for a lot of people based on their bone structure; etc. When I am dead and buried 94 years from now you can check my skeleton's BMI and it will probably still be obese.
While people do have different body types the concept of "big boned" is largely a myth people use to justify being overweight.

In the past 50 years obesity rates (BMI measure) in America have exploded and has nothing to do with issues with the BMI measurement. I think one issue is our population is so fat people get a skewed perspective of what healthy weight actually looks like. BMI is a pretty good measure for the vast majority of the population and is an easy way to help identify health risks.

I'm speaking as someone who is overweight, but most Americans would identify as normal and healthy looking (6 ft @ 202 pounds). Despite what society thinks, there's no question I need to slim down.
Last edited by Michael on August 6 18, 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

While people do have different body types the concept of "big boned" is largely a myth people use to justify being overweight.
I used to think this way. I regularly get called skinny now (6"1' 175 lbs) which I didn't think was a possiblity before and that no matter what I was just a big guy. When I started losing weight I thought I wanted to go from 225 to maybe 200 and then I just kept going. I'm sure I could go a lot further if I wanted to and still be perfectly healthy. I would've said that was impossible a few years ago.

I made a bet recently that I could do the carnivore diet for a month. I'm 8 days in and I hate it. I haven't gotten over any hump and feel like dog [expletive] at several points during the day. I think I might go vegetarian after this. Just the smell of bacon or a ribeye makes me want to puke.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Michael wrote:I'm speaking as someone who is overweight, but most Americans would identify as normal and healthy looking (6 ft @ 202 pounds). Despite what society thinks, there's no question I need to slim down.
You’re fat as [expletive]

I’m 6’ and 215lbs...I could stand to lose about 30 lbs...have acid reflux that I take prescriptions for, that would most likely be pretty much resolved if I lost it.

Dr says to cut out spicy food, fried food, and alcohol....that’s literally the only things that go in my body.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

haltz wrote:
I used to think this way. I regularly get called skinny now (6"1' 175 lbs) which I didn't think was a possiblity before and that no matter what I was just a big guy. When I started losing weight I thought I wanted to go from 225 to maybe 200 and then I just kept going. I'm sure I could go a lot further if I wanted to and still be perfectly healthy. I would've said that was impossible a few years ago.
Yep. I'm not saying this to shame anyone, but mostly what people call "big boned" is actually fat that surrounds their organs. When you lose weight it feels like your frame itself becomes smaller because all that extra fat suffocating your organs is gone (spoiler below).
[SHOW]