BMI

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Re: BMI

Post by jim »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
The Third Man wrote:
jim wrote:I do have a thick lower half, so maybe that's why my BMI is so high. I think ideally my weight wakeup weight is 190-195, that would be pretty trim. I've been carrying my weight at 195-200, except I went on vacation a month ago and now I'm right at 200-202 in the mornings, so I really should try to take a few pounds off. My problem is that I just drink so much damn beer that it's not easy to do.
I've pretty much ignored my alcohol consumption for the purposes of my current diet, because I like to go out and get a good drunk going on and if I have to change that part of my social life I'm probably not going to stick with any diet like I should. Fortunately I'm eating at a pretty major deficit (1,500-1,700 calories a day most days, maintenance is around 2,700) so it hasn't been a problem. Lost 12 pounds in the last 6-7 weeks (198 to 186), shooting to lose another 10 or so and see how I look from there before deciding whether to keep going a little more or bulk up.

However, I have pretty much stuck with the hard stuff in the interest of trimming off a few extra calories from my drinking nights. Vodka has like a third of the calories of a good beer. I do miss my Old Rasputin, though.
I've lost about 12-15 lbs since February. Lifting less and drinking less, I'm not 100% sure what the reason is, and while it's probably a combination of both, I'd venture a guess that cutting the excessive alcohol consumption has more to do with it than lifting once or twice a week as opposed to 3 or 4 times.
Could be the exercise, or the diet, or cancer. Or all three. You just never know.

jim

Post by jim »

The drinking thing, for me to be completely ripped I'm sure I would have to cut out all of that stuff. But I'm very happy with my weight, and I drink as I want, which is usually a couple of three a night. I also just ate three Hershey's kisses, because there were there and they taste good. Although I did have a salad with grilled chicken, so kind of a trade off.

I've heard it said that diet is more important than exercise with weight control, but I really really disagree with that. That might be true if you are getting on a stationary bike and pedaling 15 minutes while reading a book. That is not exercise. But if you are really getting after it 5+ days a week, I think that is far important than the diet. But you have to work, this silliness I see people doing isn't going to cut it.

Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Post by Schlich »

In tangentially related news, I squat two plates on each end (5 reps) for the first time the other day. I've always been a skinny bastard, so yay me.

Right now i'm at this sort of weird in-between skinnyfat phase where i'm at about 18-20% body fat but I really should keep bulking up. currently at 6'3", 195 lbs (after being 165 a year or two ago) and i'm hoping to get to around 215 or so before i start cutting. It's just obnoxious when your gut sticks out just as much as your pecs do.

Gaining weight without becoming a giant piece of lard in the meantime is really difficult.

Maclowery
Child Pot Activist

Post by Maclowery »

I am one of the skinniest dudes I know. I know its preferable to being overweight but it still affects me to a degree. Anyway that chart informs me that I am almost spot on in the middle of my height recommendation. I am not surewhere I would lose 15pounds to reach "underweight" without looking like I have a severe illness.

silly.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

Even though I fall in an ideal weight for my height, I wouldn't consider myself as in great shape by any means....that scale is garbage even if it says I'm at an ideal weight (5'11"...172). I probably couldn't barely run a mile w/o having alot of difficulty.

Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Post by Diddy »

By that chart the highest overweight block is what I consider to be my ideal weight. I'm always going to be a big strong guy. I'd have to be seriously ill to be in my normal range.
Last edited by Diddy on August 6 18, 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Post by docellis »

Yeah, I am a tall female. All the ideal ranges would have to mean an extended stomach flu. I think my ideal weight is around 145-150. They think I should weigh 130. I also think I would look ill at that weight.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I'm certainly not the biggest proponent of BMI and I think a BMI in the overweight is what a lot of people see as healthy. Looking at athletes, even those who need to be lean and built for endurance (like swimmers) as opposed to strong and built for explosiveness (like football players), a lot of them fall into the overweight category.

That said, I'm going to guess almost everyone can stand to lose weight and get into the green zone without looking like they're dead. For most people, I'd guess there's enough body fat to shed and even if there isn't, people cut muscle off all the time without looking like a corpse.

I'm one of those people. I don't want to do it specifically because I don't mind having a little fat for the sake of keeping muscle. But, I'm not going to rationalize it by saying if I dropped weight I'd look sick.

jim

Post by jim »

Excuses. Lot's of excuses. That's what I am hearing.

Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Post by Diddy »

jim wrote:Excuses. Lot's of excuses. That's what I am hearing.
Oh I know I need to lose a chunk of weight just that the green zone isn't realistic. I dated a dietitian who was into BMI and she always thought it was unrealistic for me as well