Random musings

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
wart57
just can't quit you.

Re: Random musings

Post by wart57 »

wart57 wrote:
Michael wrote:Man I'm jealous, wart.

Chicago is cold. I'm in an office. No baseball.

What am I doing with my life?
Haha. It was cold - only about 70 degrees and windy. :cool:

But, I am back in the office today.

Mrs. Wart is talking about wanting us to move to the Chicago area to be closer to her family, I remind her of the weather every day.

Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Post by Diddy »

Michael wrote:
Diddy wrote:I’ve recently gotten more involved in some areas and am on boards where we are hiring people. Is it normal to pass up more qualified people because they might tell you no, for less qualified individuals because you know they will take the job?
In hiring there is a concept of being over qualified. The concern is the hire will view the job as temporary and quickly move on to something else.

In my line of work it's hard to find someone over qualified so it's not really something I've personally dealt with. If you're in a big organization an overqualified candidate might eventually find other internal opportunities and that isn't a bad thing. Unless there is a massive skill mismatch it's not something I'd worry much about.
I wouldn’t even say they are over qualified. One board member didn’t want to offer a job after 2 great interviews because she probably makes more already and will just tell us no. He even said she’s his top choice.

Another board wants to hire a guy because of who is recommending him to us. Even though he doesn’t seem to be a fit at all. He’s the easy hire though

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Diddy wrote:
Michael wrote:
Diddy wrote:I’ve recently gotten more involved in some areas and am on boards where we are hiring people. Is it normal to pass up more qualified people because they might tell you no, for less qualified individuals because you know they will take the job?
In hiring there is a concept of being over qualified. The concern is the hire will view the job as temporary and quickly move on to something else.

In my line of work it's hard to find someone over qualified so it's not really something I've personally dealt with. If you're in a big organization an overqualified candidate might eventually find other internal opportunities and that isn't a bad thing. Unless there is a massive skill mismatch it's not something I'd worry much about.
I wouldn’t even say they are over qualified. One board member didn’t want to offer a job after 2 great interviews because she probably makes more already and will just tell us no. He even said she’s his top choice.

Another board wants to hire a guy because of who is recommending him to us. Even though he doesn’t seem to be a fit at all. He’s the easy hire though
I've never understood what does it matter if they say no? Then you just move on to the next one but if they say yes then you are set.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

wart57 wrote:
Mrs. Wart is talking about wanting us to move to the Chicago area....
If you do this I'm authorized to throat punch you. It's in the Constitution.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Why does every customer service person that I encounter phrase everything in the past tense? Is it just less aggressive or something?

"Were you ready to order?"
"Did you have a [store card/rewards card]?"

Did I? What?

I started noticing this recently and it's all I hear now.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

haltz wrote:Why does every customer service person that I encounter phrase everything in the past tense? Is it just less aggressive or something?

Did I? What?

did you have a problem with that?

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
haltz wrote:Why does every customer service person that I encounter phrase everything in the past tense? Is it just less aggressive or something?

Did I? What?

did you have a problem with that?
Did you not like living in the past?

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

I have a slow leak in a tire and somehow every single time I stop to put air in it the valve stem is always at the bottom.

Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Post by Diddy »

cardsfansince82 wrote:I have a slow leak in a tire and somehow every single time I stop to put air in it the valve stem is always at the bottom.
Do you have calcium in them?

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

Diddy wrote:
cardsfansince82 wrote:I have a slow leak in a tire and somehow every single time I stop to put air in it the valve stem is always at the bottom.
Do you have calcium in them?
Not sure what you mean, so probably not. I'm saying that on average you would think I would get some easy ones where I don't have to squat all the way down to fill up the tire, but somehow that never happens.