Random musings

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: Random musings

Post by lukethedrifter »

cardsfansince82 wrote:
Diddy wrote:
cardsfansince82 wrote:I have a slow leak in a tire and somehow every single time I stop to put air in it the valve stem is always at the bottom.
Do you have calcium in them?
Not sure what you mean, so probably not. I'm saying that on average you would think I would get some easy ones where I don't have to squat all the way down to fill up the tire, but somehow that never happens.
Farmer joke?

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

lukethedrifter wrote:
cardsfansince82 wrote:
Diddy wrote:
cardsfansince82 wrote:I have a slow leak in a tire and somehow every single time I stop to put air in it the valve stem is always at the bottom.
Not sure what you mean, so probably not. I'm saying that on average you would think I would get some easy ones where I don't have to squat all the way down to fill up the tire, but somehow that never happens.
Farmer joke?

Calcium is an old school way to add weight to tires. It's common in tractors and sometimes in trucks during the winter time.

Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Post by Diddy »

IMADreamer wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
cardsfansince82 wrote:
Diddy wrote:
Farmer joke?

Calcium is an old school way to add weight to tires. It's common in tractors and sometimes in trucks during the winter time.
And you have to fill them up with the valve stem above the fluid level, so a valve stem at the bottom doesn’t work.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Michael wrote:In hiring there is a concept of being over qualified. The concern is the hire will view the job as temporary and quickly move on to something else.
We had this come up a lot when my role was back in Customer Service and lots of people were out of work. A LOT of great candidates were passed over because they were recently or at the time working in other industries that were shedding jobs at higher salaries than we start people at. The fear by those with the final decision was that the company would invest three to six months to get them on board and fully train them, only for them to leave for more money or to get back in their field as soon as the economy stabilized. Most didn't even get an interview but the few that did all stated that the reason they were interested in our company was that even though the money may be less, we are a stable company that (at the time) had never laid anybody off in our 50+ years in business and they were tired of the constant worry that they would be let go and wanted that long term stability. They still didn't get the jobs though.

One guy that I used to be friends with had applied for Customer Service and didn't get it because they thought he was over qualified and would bail on us as soon as he could. A year or two later he did end up in the company with another department at a very slightly higher level and he's been here about five years now.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I was researching a technical problem a friend of mine was having with his phone today; and I repeatedly came across the phrase on support forums "this is a known problem." I know that phrase has been around and I have seen it many times; but I started thinking about it today. How is that helpful? I know it is a known problem; because I know about the problem. Give me a known solution or stfu.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

If you leave the old grapes in the frig long enough will they turn into wine?

#askingforafriend

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

I would not do this.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

No way would I do this. I had to go up on a lift with an electrician to look at parking lot light wiring. It was a white knuckle experience for me.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

You Americans have no sense of adventure when it comes to dining out

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

I would puke whatever I ate.