Random musings

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: Random musings

Post by Freed Roger »

Are random musings really random? Not to hard to source them in a thought process. More like a sequitur usually.

For most people, a truly random thought would require LSD or something similar. No?

Asking Tim the GRB pysch.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Freed Roger wrote:Are random musings really random? Not to hard to source them in a thought process. More like a sequitur usually.

For most people, a truly random thought would require LSD or something similar. No?

Nobody likes a smartass

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Tim wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:Are random musings really random? Not to hard to source them in a thought process. More like a sequitur usually.

Nobody likes a smartass
one of rare times I wasnt trying to be one.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

My take:

All thought processes are random. Drug fueled thought processes just folds that randomness through a different structure of linkages which feel more random (read: unexpected) to the sober person but are more likely to feel reasonable to the also high person who has altered their own linkages in a similar manner.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

Exactly

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Arthur Dent wrote:My take:

All thought processes are random. Drug fueled thought processes just folds that randomness through a different structure of linkages which feel more random (read: unexpected) to the sober person but are more likely to feel reasonable to the also high person who has altered their own linkages in a similar manner.
Kind of sounds like you are arguing all thoughts are NOT random, even under fuel of drugs.
Under heavy drugs we are just kidding ourselves about the impetus of thought.

Which I would possibly agree.

Look at what is being mined and predicted from our smartphone movement and internet activity and credit cards etc-which basically are a derivative of our thoughts.

Homer Simpson drunk off his ass dreaming about donuts is not random. (don't tell me Homer isn't as real as most people ye naysayers...he's been alive longer than many of you!)

One could argue hardly any thought is random.

Tim, honestly I wanted your take on this. that is, if I havent ruined randomness for all forever more more more

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Outside of some quantum mechanics [expletive] I'd argue it's likely nothing in the known universe is random. That includes us.

Goodbye free will!

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Are we going to have to close the random musings thread now because nothing is truly random.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

Michael wrote:Outside of some quantum mechanics [expletive] I'd argue it's likely nothing in the known universe is random. That includes us.

Goodbye free will!
Depends on what you mean by random. In the ordinary sense of the word, the classic example is a roll of dice, which is in some sense determined precisely by momentum and collision dynamics etc. Nonetheless, it’s actually much more useful to think of the dice in terms of probable outcomes of a random process than in terms of the physics of solid motion.

Same for thought processes, IMO. The case is probably even stronger there as there is some evidence that hardcore random quantum effects are important in the brain.