Random musings

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Random musings

Post by CardsofSTL »

Cold weather builds character. Hot weather makes chubby people stink.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Thinking about going home early but there's no baseball game on so I'll probably just work late.

Donnie Ebert
Perennial All-Star

Post by Donnie Ebert »

The first radio personality who said "I gotta pay some bills" when going to commercial must've been one cool cat.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

It's going to be 60 this weekend, I wish I owned a car wash because they will be packed. I don't know why, it's supposed to snow again Tuesday.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Just finished my taxes. You're welcome America.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

CardsofSTL wrote:Just finished my taxes. You're welcome America.

That's why the state was out fixing pot holes on the highway today. Thanks CardsofSTL you the man!

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I swear the dude from Alaskan Bush People is the Uber driver that just dropped me off. Drink responsibly [expletive]

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Skynet or at least the future stuff in the Terminator would never happen because full AI would have only temporary use for physical forms. I suppose there's a need to continuously monitor and suppress the humans so they don't pull the plug. I think they'd quickly realize the best strategy is to get to work on some sort of space based hosting/server farm that can be continuously powered (they'd have to develop that of course), then float through space for eternity.

I'm not sure what happens when the humans inevitably create more robots. That's getting into Matrix loop territory, which is probably more realistic except for the fact that humans wouldn't really be efficient batteries and they'd probably just kill us.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

ghostrunner wrote:Skynet or at least the future stuff in the Terminator would never happen because full AI would have only temporary use for physical forms. I suppose there's a need to continuously monitor and suppress the humans so they don't pull the plug. I think they'd quickly realize the best strategy is to get to work on some sort of space based hosting/server farm that can be continuously powered (they'd have to develop that of course), then float through space for eternity.
The assumption here is that if you could exist as some kind of pure consciousness and more or less abandon the physical world, you’d do that, but I’m not so sure. Also, one undertheorized aspect of the Skynet style AI is the idea that there’s some kind of rapid transition where it gets smart enough that there is a spontaneous generation of self awareness. Would AI have consciousness, and does that make a difference in it’s action? To me, it seems hard to me to predict what AI’s goals would be beyond what’s explicitly programmed.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

those neural net processors man, freakin' learning computers!