Perennial All-Star

Re: Random musings

Post by New Pagodi »

Congratulations.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Saw Missy Elliott's performance on the MTV Awards today on YouTube and I didn't realize that the MTV awards were still a thing.

Most importantly though, Missy is a freaking treasure. Alyson Stoner showing up for her dance solo was great too. I still can't believe that video was that long ago.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

Arthur Dent wrote:Job hunting myself right now and love to hear good news.

Hoping the experience for me will also feel like opportunity to choose my life instead of always being trapped by employers.
And boom! Been years since I've done any serious job hunting but finally got myself together and had an interview on Wednesday. My read was that it went really well, and it must have as I got an offer this morning that I'm going to accept.

Filled with excitement with an undercurrent of anxiety. I've only had one real job since graduating in 2006. For most of that time, the job market for my work has been somewhere between awful and marginal, so I didn't feel like I had much choice, but also I still liked what I was doing and had great colleagues to work with. Since then, I've become totally burned out and disillusioned, and my group has crumbled.

The flip side of having real agency here is that if this turns out to have been a bad choice, or I struggle in the position, it will be entirely my fault for getting myself into it. But I think I have to trust my own judgement that this is something I want to take a chance on and that I'll be able to deal with it if I don't succeed.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Sounds like a truly positive change. Best of luck (but am certain you won’t need it).

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

congrats AD, great job

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

That’s great, AD! Are you staying in Austin?

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Congratulations Mr. Dent

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Awesome news, AD!

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

Nice! Well done, dude. The new place will be lucky to have you and no doubt you will kick ass there. Best of luck with the transition.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

Thanks, all.
Radbird wrote:Are you staying in Austin?
Yup, still Austin.

New place is a startup, or run as one despite having been around a few years, but they pay in real money, not vouchers. There are some clear concerns in terms of having founder managers not respecting corporate management norms, and also the project I'll be on will get probably too much executive attention, at least initially. And the job is in a somewhat different area than I was in before, one I think I'm equipped to handle, but you never know until you try. So, I'm worried about that stuff.

But it's also a chance to be a part of building something new and interesting, which I think I need. They tell you this is what engineering is about, but in practice, it very often is not.