Random musings

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Re: Random musings

Post by Leroy »

I heard a song by Firehouse the other day that jogged a memory.

Several years ago, a friend of mine asked if I would help set up an outdoor concert for some local band, Firehouse, and Blue Oyster Cult. Apparently most of the roadies didn't show up. He told me it would be all day, starting at 6 a.m., and I'd only get a hundred bucks. WTF, I figured. Sounds like fun.

Well, we worked our asses off to get this thing set up. (Let's hear it for roadies). At about 4 p.m. I got an hour break to shower and eat and get back. When I got back, I was told that the light guy was too stoned, so I was volunteered the job of follow spot (never ran a light like this in my life). Great. Anyway, the local groups still had light (outdoor) so I had nothing to do. Finally was Firehouse. The lighting director (who couldn't stop yelling at me earlier, told me to go home like that guy in Wayne's World) told me what I needed to know and for the first half of the show, he would talk through some system to me. He then got so drunk, he just quit talking to me, so I did the spot on my own. I mean, I know when a guitar solo is coming and stuff, and think I did pretty good. After words the director hugged me, said I was awesome, and asked where I learned all that stuff. I said I didn't, I just play in a band (not rocket science really...guitar player steps to middle front, probably a solo coming).

Anyway, as a side note, the promoter during all this was a guy from the Philipines.. He took off with the gate and eventually used the money to get home, so couldn't pay us or the bands. Firehouse went on anyway, as they were trying to make a comeback. Blue Oyster said f it and never went on. Imagine me sitting in the middle of a bunch of angry paying fans trying to tell them I had no idea what was going on, because I didn't.

So we finished at about 4 a.m. and the few from the road crew that were there felt bad and paid us twenty bucks each (in ones???).

Good times.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

The Volkswagen commercial that's all about car sex is kinda weird.

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

Leroy wrote:I heard a song by Firehouse the other day that jogged a memory.

Several years ago, a friend of mine asked if I would help set up an outdoor concert for some local band, Firehouse, and Blue Oyster Cult. Apparently most of the roadies didn't show up. He told me it would be all day, starting at 6 a.m., and I'd only get a hundred bucks. WTF, I figured. Sounds like fun.

Well, we worked our asses off to get this thing set up. (Let's hear it for roadies). At about 4 p.m. I got an hour break to shower and eat and get back. When I got back, I was told that the light guy was too stoned, so I was volunteered the job of follow spot (never ran a light like this in my life). Great. Anyway, the local groups still had light (outdoor) so I had nothing to do. Finally was Firehouse. The lighting director (who couldn't stop yelling at me earlier, told me to go home like that guy in Wayne's World) told me what I needed to know and for the first half of the show, he would talk through some system to me. He then got so drunk, he just quit talking to me, so I did the spot on my own. I mean, I know when a guitar solo is coming and stuff, and think I did pretty good. After words the director hugged me, said I was awesome, and asked where I learned all that stuff. I said I didn't, I just play in a band (not rocket science really...guitar player steps to middle front, probably a solo coming).

Anyway, as a side note, the promoter during all this was a guy from the Philipines.. He took off with the gate and eventually used the money to get home, so couldn't pay us or the bands. Firehouse went on anyway, as they were trying to make a comeback. Blue Oyster said f it and never went on. Imagine me sitting in the middle of a bunch of angry paying fans trying to tell them I had no idea what was going on, because I didn't.

So we finished at about 4 a.m. and the few from the road crew that were there felt bad and paid us twenty bucks each (in ones???).

Good times.
Good story!

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I wasn't a Tech N9ne fan when I first heard his stuff a few years ago but that guy has really grown on me.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Tetris is a perfect video game.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Tetris is. Personally I have to include Excitebike, RC Pro Am and Contra in there too. Those games have never gotten old for me. I'm a simple person. Just give me a game that I can play with two buttons and a d-pad and I'm happy. I don't need this new fancy stuff.

Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

Post by Farewell Friends »

I've had my fill of Cubs commercials.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Don't leave dead nightcrawlers in a drained cooler

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Farewell Friends wrote:I've had my fill of Cubs commercials.
I still saw a few dozen cubs jerseys at the game last night and it was infuriating. Once again, most of them were on people who are probably between the ages of 16 and 24. Cardinal fans need to take back the stadium before this gets even further out of control.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Aaron Hernandez reportedly hung himself in his jail cell this morning. Why am I not surprised that the first thing his lawyer and agent thought to do was put out statements that there is no way he killed himself and that he was instead the victim of murder?

That is the most lawyer/agent thing that you can do. It is just reflex for them at this point.