Deadspin

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Deadspin

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

This truly is a rant and a rave. Sometimes, they're awesome. Breaking the Manti T'eo comes to mind. Their investigations are usually good. A lot of their recaps, like all the world cup goals are sweet. Etc. But, sometimes, they're just godawful. A lot of times they're just whiny little [expletive]. here's a good example....

http://deadspin.com/theres-something-of ... 1592710414

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: Deadspin

Post by heyzeus »

Or the tiresome Cardinals trolling. We get it. You think Cardinals fans spend all their lives bragging about being the Best Fans In Baseball, and are somehow homogenous representatives of a rural rightwing agenda that is offensive to your east coast sensibilities. How insightful.

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

Most of their best talent has moved on to other things, so I assume they don't pay very well. The only decent writers left are Magary and Burnenko, and Ley on occasion. Unfortunately the vast majority of their content now isn't original at all, contains no actual writing, and is posted by J school flunk outs like Newell and Kalaf. Some of the user blogs are pretty good too, but I wouldn't give deadspin credit for that. I still go there daily to find some funny or interesting stuff to kill time, but it's not nearly as interesting as it used to be.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

cardsfansince82 wrote:Most of their best talent has moved on to other things, so I assume they don't pay very well. The only decent writers left are Magary and Burnenko, and Ley on occasion. Unfortunately the vast majority of their content now isn't original at all, contains no actual writing, and is posted by J school flunk outs like Newell and Kalaf. Some of the user blogs are pretty good too, but I wouldn't give deadspin credit for that. I still go there daily to find some funny or interesting stuff to kill time, but it's not nearly as interesting as it used to be.
Will Leitch is a good writer and had interesting things to say without having to resort to droll snark. When he moved on, Daulerio took over, who was more Hunter S Thompson to Leitch's Joe Poznanski. I liked the Daulerio era too because it was spontaneous and had a spirit of outsider takedown of the boring, self-important sports establishment (namely, ESPN). Lots of dick pics in this era.

But like you say, CF82, the talent's moved on. All that's left is smarmy/sarcastic/snark, and a kind of clickbait that should probably be called hatebait. "I'm going to post something really insufferable and pedantic for the sake of making enough readers mad that they'll click and generate anger and thus those precious page views."

There are about 3 posts a day at Deadspin now that are legitimately entertaining or insightful.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I thought the Daulerio led assault on ESPN employees sex habits was pretty awful. Covering harassment is one thing, but it went way beyond that.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I pay almost no attention to the writers. I can't stand Magary (or the fisking writing style in general), but beyond that, I can rarely tell you who wrote what.

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

Magary's troll posts have definitely run their course, but I love his mailbag and some of his longer form stuff on national sports conversations and parenting are also solid. Burneko makes me laugh harder than just about any other writer ever and I don't even like cooking. I have a pretty immature sense of humor.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Yea i still visit everyday, but mainly to get my sophomore humor fix. Every now and then they will have an in depth, thought provoking story, but i don't count on deadspin for stuff like that anymore.

The cardinal hate got old awhile ago and admittedly, i'm getting tired of the red sox hate as well. And yall know how much i hate the Redsox. Those are definitely the two baseball teams that are deadspin's [expletive] list.

All in all, it's definitely a shell of its former self, but they are still "playing by their own rules" which at times is refreshing.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

The Cardinal hate is specifically done to poke fun at Leitch. That's all it is.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

It's like all the other Gawker sites. Childish and terrible. Jalopnik used to be a really great car site. A bit quirky but good. Then Gawker bought them out and it just turned to crap. All the good writers left to start their own sites and now Jalopnik reads like a Jr. High lunch room.