Rant/Rave: Bourbon

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Swirls
gone fission

Re: Rant/Rave: Bourbon

Post by Swirls »

So last night, the actual menu had a bigger selection of whiskey than what they show on their website. They had several under the "Japanese Whiskey" header, as well as other staples such as Old Forester and Buffalo Trace.

Overall, we weren't that impressed with the establishment as a whole. It's in the most hipster neighborhood possible of downtown St. Paul (which happens to be where we moved to a few months ago), so it's nice that it was only two blocks away. But their setup for V-Day definitely left something to be desired - they normally do not accept reservations but did last night, and it appears they crammed in a few extra tables to get more patrons. I was sitting literally 8-10" away from someone on both sides. That's how narrow the walkway was.

The food was very meh also. But my sazerac was on point - apparently smoked absinthe is the key.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Swirls wrote:So last night, the actual menu had a bigger selection of whiskey than what they show on their website. They had several under the "Japanese Whiskey" header, as well as other staples such as Old Forester and Buffalo Trace.

Overall, we weren't that impressed with the establishment as a whole. It's in the most hipster neighborhood possible of downtown St. Paul (which happens to be where we moved to a few months ago), so it's nice that it was only two blocks away. But their setup for V-Day definitely left something to be desired - they normally do not accept reservations but did last night, and it appears they crammed in a few extra tables to get more patrons. I was sitting literally 8-10" away from someone on both sides. That's how narrow the walkway was.

The food was very meh also. But my sazerac was on point - apparently smoked absinthe is the key.
Valentine's Day is a money grab for a lot of places

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

lukethedrifter wrote:
Valentine's Day is a money grab for a lot of places
Oh, for sure.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Just got some Pappy and Handy in today. Might want to keep an eye out around town.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

How much does a bottle of Pappy cost? I thought it was around $300 or so. The one at the local store, I think a 20 year is $2k. FML. Really wanted a bottle, but I ain't spending that. I'd do a couple hundred or so, but anything above $500 is just ridiculous. And, it appears the cheaper versions of Pappy are not nearly as well regarded as the 15 year.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

haltz wrote:Just got some Pappy and Handy in today. Might want to keep an eye out around town.

What time should I stop in?

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:How much does a bottle of Pappy cost? I thought it was around $300 or so. The one at the local store, I think a 20 year is $2k. FML. Really wanted a bottle, but I ain't spending that. I'd do a couple hundred or so, but anything above $500 is just ridiculous. And, it appears the cheaper versions of Pappy are not nearly as well regarded as the 15 year.

Actual retail:

You'll never find it for retail though.

As always, look for the Weller 12, which is essentially Pappy 12 except a) you can find it occasionally and b) it's $30.

If you want a more readily available, high-end bourbon experience, I'd recommend EH Taylor Barrel Proof.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

lukethedrifter wrote:
haltz wrote:Just got some Pappy and Handy in today. Might want to keep an eye out around town.

What time should I stop in?
It's not on the bar yet and I'm not sure what will end up being for sale, but I'll let you know if you want. We've got some Weller 12 (that I can potentially give you side by side with Pappy 12) and OF Birthday Bourbon hanging around also.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Just get some Maker's Mark; the effect is the same.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

CardsofSTL wrote:Just get some Maker's Mark; the effect is the same.
But not the process.