Rant/Rave: Bourbon

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: Rant/Rave: Bourbon

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

thrill wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:How much does a bottle of Pappy cost? I thought it was around $300 or so. The one at the local store, I think a 20 year is $2k. FML. Really wanted a bottle, but I ain't spending that. I'd do a couple hundred or so, but anything above $500 is just ridiculous. And, it appears the cheaper versions of Pappy are not nearly as well regarded as the 15 year.

Actual retail:

You'll never find it for retail though.

As always, look for the Weller 12, which is essentially Pappy 12 except a) you can find it occasionally and b) it's $30.

If you want a more readily available, high-end bourbon experience, I'd recommend EH Taylor Barrel Proof.
Thanks for the info. Yeah. I was ready to shell over that $150; put it in my office for special occasion type stuff. Went to the liquor store and told them that's what I wanted. They said they'd sent out an email to a link with all their bourbons when they got them and do a sale that way so all their loyal customers would have first dibs. Got the email. Got excited. Saw Pappy was still available and got super excited. Clicked on the link and saw the price of $2K!!!! Became very flaccid.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

I got a bourbon advent calendar as a gift. My favorite ones so far:

-Few. It has a really good/interesting whiff of cherry and vinegar in a pleasant way. I dug it.

-Hudson Baby Bourbon. Made from 100% corn (51% is what's required by law, but most bourbons use JUST 51%), which gives it a really funky/unique flavor. I'm a fan.

-Jefferson's Bourbon, Oak Aged at Sea. I [expletive] LOVE this bourbon. And really, Jefferson's Reserve has become one of my favorite bourbons so I'm not shocked that I like this one so much.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

JL21 wrote:I got a bourbon advent calendar as a gift. My favorite ones so far:

-Few. It has a really good/interesting whiff of cherry and vinegar in a pleasant way. I dug it.

-Hudson Baby Bourbon. Made from 100% corn (51% is what's required by law, but most bourbons use JUST 51%), which gives it a really funky/unique flavor. I'm a fan.

-Jefferson's Bourbon, Oak Aged at Sea. I [expletive] LOVE this bourbon. And really, Jefferson's Reserve has become one of my favorite bourbons so I'm not shocked that I like this one so much.
Oh, neat! I asked the missus for one of those, but suspect I'm not getting it considering we're down to six days until Christmas and I doubt she wants me pounding 24 airplane shots on Christmas day in front of family.

This is the one I asked for: https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/d ... -calendar/

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

That's exactly the one I got. It's pretty great. I'm having fun bouncing from bourbon to bourbon and learning what I do and do not like.

They do a really good job of giving a variety of qualities and styles.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer

Post by TimeForGuinness »

JL21 wrote:I got a bourbon advent calendar as a gift. My favorite ones so far:

Huddy is one of my favorites...their Rye is excellent for Manhattans.

I just got a bottle of Jefferson's for my birthday, I'm a fan.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

$155?!?

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

Yeah, it's not cheap. It was a gift.

But figure you're getting to try 24 different/new bourbons, and they have to ship it from the UK... I don't know.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

JL21 wrote:
This is a Chicago company. They make a barrel aged gin I love.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

Michael wrote:
JL21 wrote:
This is a Chicago company. They make a barrel aged gin I love.
That was part of what was so fun about the full calendar- finding non-Kentucky bourbons that were so good. Hudson is out of New York, Few is Chicago... they also had one from Utah (I wasn't blown away by it), another from NY... just a good diversity to test new stuff out without committing to a whole bottle.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Were they just airplane shot sized bottles, or a little bigger?