Rant/Rave: Bourbon

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: Rant/Rave: Bourbon

Post by Jocephus »

what do those cartel dudes drink in breaking bad?

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Michael wrote:/thread hijack

Change of plans. I just found out he loves to sip tequila. I know he enjoys Don Julio 1942 Anejo Tequila so I might get that, but I'm open to suggestions. Price range 100-200.

edit - he's a pretty wealthy guy so I'm sure has quite a few bottles of the 1942, so I'd really like to get him something else
Fuenteseca 7 Year Old Extra Añejo. It will top out your budget but it's worth it. Half aged in used California red wine barrels, half aged in used French oak, they sit at a very high altitude in a very cool climate for 7 years. The cool climate means no major diurnal shifts to expand/contract the wood, and the barrels are refills, so this is not an oak monster. There's just a hint of toasty oak but mostly this tastes like roasted Weber Agave and white pepper.
Last edited by 33anda3rd on April 14 18, 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

This?
[SHOW]
I'm fairly certain it's fictional.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

33anda3rd wrote:This?
[SHOW]
I'm fairly certain it's fictional.
darn. i assume michael wants to eliminate his superiors and take over from the inside

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

33anda3rd wrote:
Michael wrote:/thread hijack

Change of plans. I just found out he loves to sip tequila. I know he enjoys Don Julio 1942 Anejo Tequila so I might get that, but I'm open to suggestions. Price range 100-200.

edit - he's a pretty wealthy guy so I'm sure has quite a few bottles of the 1942, so I'd really like to get him something else
Fuenteseca 7 Year Old Extra Añejo. It will top out your budget but it's worth it. Half aged in used California red wine barrels, half aged in used French oak, they sit at a very high altitude in a very cool climate for 7 years. The cool climate means no major diurnal shifts to expand/contract the wood, and the barrels are refills, so this is not an oak monster. There's just a hint of toasty oak but mostly this tastes like roasted Weber Agave and white pepper.
Many thanks. I plan on calling around and going shopping tomorrow. I'll get your suggestion or this El Tesoro 80th Anniversary bottle as a backup. The El Tesoro has similarly great reviews as the Fuenteseca. The one I choose will depend on availability near me.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

The 7 year Fuenteseca is at the Binny’s in Lincoln Park in the locked room in the back.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

The tequila was delivered and well received.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Which did you get?

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

A Barton 1792 Barrelhouse Collapsed Last Week

No people were hurt, thankfully, but some dead fish in the water.

How much juice/$$$ is that? All 9000 barrels were probably not lost, but let's say half were.

4500 barrels hold 53 gallons of booze each. That's 30,528,000 ounces.

Say 10% of the barrel is the Angel's Share, we're left with 27,475,200 ounces.

That's 1,090,295 750mL bottles. Which wholesale for $28.50.

So a bit over $31 million of Barton 1792 lost if it was half the house. The investments these guys are putting in are incredible. Buffalo is adding a new rackhouse every four months right now, and it costs them $7 million to build each, and $21 million to fill each. So if they're working on any kind of credit holy crap is this going to be a big insurance payout for Barton's insurer.

Re the fish, and other bourbon disasters, this is small change compared to what a fire can do to a distillery. November 7, 1996 a fire started at a rackhouse at the Heaven Hill Distillery, and it was a very windy day. The combo of 7.7 million gallons of 110-125 proof bourbon catching fire and the 50mph wind spreading it meant that in the span of a few hours 90,000 barrels of bourbon, seven total rackhouses, plus the distillery were gone. Heaven Hill before was considered a place that this would be virtually impossible because their rackhouses were spaced pretty far apart. That was about 2% of the world supply of bourbon. The Heaven Hill Distillery was never rebuilt there--they moved their distilling operation to Louisville from Bardstown and just use Bardstown to age. The fish in the nearby river (most distilleries are on the river for the limestone in the water there) were wiped out for miles. It looked like this:

Same thing several years later, in May 2000. A single Wild Turkey rackhouse went up and was down in 90 minutes. About 1 million gallons of bourbon gone. And burning whiskey literally flowed into the Kentucky River. There was a resulting 28-mile 'dead zone' in the river, and the Coast Guard had to come in and literally pump bubbles of air into the river so any wildlife continuing through it would not be lost.

I'll be down there all next week making distillery visits for work-related stuff, and hope to ask a lot of questions about what the impact on the industry is from the distiller's POV.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Hey 33, I love blanco tequilas. I especially love a chilled, peppery blanco. I live in phoenix. It's hot as hell. There's nothing better than a nice, crisp slug of chilled blanco on a hot summer night. That said, I haven't dove super deep and generally will stick stuff in the $20 range.

That said, I recognize that by chilling it and also by avoiding barrel aged stuff, I'm losing a ton of the personality and uniqueness, but my thinking so far has been that I love whiskey so if I want something brown, I'll go with that.

For example, this is what's in my fridge right now: http://www.totalwine.com/spirits/tequil ... rules=true

Am I doing tequila wrong? Is there something you recommend that's a particularly good value?

I noticed that now that I'm back in arizona, there are some really cool looking local mezcals from the tucson area that might be worth a try. Are american mezcals [expletive]?