Intersection blockers

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Molly
Perennial All-Star

Re: Intersection blockers

Post by Molly »

jim wrote:
Molly wrote:
JL21 wrote:I'm picturing it as stop-and-go traffic going through a light. You proceed while the light is green, but traffic moves so slow that you can't move any further than the intersection by the time the light turns red. Leaving you blocking the intersection. So then people trying to turn in to your lane can't even move their car out into the intersection, because you're blocking it.
This. And if you realize the light will more than likely change to red don't enter the intersection. And risk getting honked at for stopping at a green light
I don't understand. You are saying don't enter the intersection... what? What are you saying?
What I was trying to say is when you see traffic backing up while the light is still green, if you stop at the intersection w/o proceeding so as not to block the intersection, you are likely to get honked at by the person behind you that doesn't care if the intersection is blocked.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

You should get honked at. If it's green, get your butt out there. Green means go Molly.

Molly
Perennial All-Star

Post by Molly »

jim wrote:You should get honked at. If it's green, get your butt out there. Green means go Molly.
So that was YOUR sorry ass honking at me!! :lol:

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Let's talk about the unprotected left turn some more. It's really driving me nuts that I can't find MO law addressing this.
I've found it addressed in Michigan law and Texas law.

lukethedrifter wrote:It's nuanced. Basically what I said above is pretty much Texas law. You can't enter the intersection behind a line of cars hoping to squeeze your left turn in. However, you can enter the intersection to make a left turn and if oncoming traffic does not allow you to make it, you are legally allowed to make your left after the light changes and traffic clears.
A car in front of me also wants to turn left, but waits outside of the intersection, hoping for a break in the oncoming traffic to make a left-turn only when it is clear. Would it be OK to enter an intersection for a left-hand turn that you can’t complete until after the light turns red?

According to the general rule, the driver seeking the left hand turn would be in violation. But there are exceptions to Section 545.302(a)(3). Subsection (f) allows a driver to stop to avoid conflicting traffic. The cars traveling in the opposite direction that prevent the left-hand turn qualify as “conflicting traffic.” The cars stopped in front of the congested intersection are not “conflicting traffic.” Thus, under Subsection (f), the driver seeking to make the left hand turn is fully within the law. He is also protected from other impatient drivers after the light changes by Section 544.007(b), which mandates that all drivers who have a green light yield to traffic already in the intersection.

When a collision occurs at an intersection, these complexities in traffic laws may be important in determining which driver bears legal responsibility for the damage and injuries that may result.
http://www.powerstaylor.com/texas-traffic-law-quiz/

Faceman
Perennial All-Star

Post by Faceman »

What if NOLA has it right, and outlaws left turns. Imagine no traffic backed up waiting to turn left. You need to turn left? Go down a block and turn right thrice.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

jim wrote:You should get honked at. If it's green, get your butt out there. Green means go Molly.
I'm with Jim on this. If its green and there is a line behind you in the left turn lane, get your ass out there and be ready to opportunistically turn! I HATE being stuck behind people and missing a cycle because they won't get out there and be ready to go.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
I'm with Jim on this. If its green and there is a line behind you in the left turn lane, get your ass out there and be ready to opportunistically turn! I HATE being stuck behind people and missing a cycle because they won't get out there and be ready to go.
I have no problem pulling out and waiting in traffic to make a left-hand turn provided the lane is not completely backed up. If the other lane is already full of other cars who are stopped due to a red light down the street, I'm now the jackass for blocking damn near all four lanes of the intersection waiting to turn and not being able to.

Green means go, yes. Provided you CAN go. Molly is right.