Rant: terrible baseball articles

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: Rant: terrible baseball articles

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Cheddar Tom wrote:I hope Heyward plays terribly....but why would the Cubs be worried?
Yeah that's the point I was going for. It certainly hasn't hurt them so far. If he starts playing well, are they going to go in the tank?

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

JL21 wrote:Gordon... his baseball writing is about as dumb and shallow as it gets.
It's not just his baseball writing.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

The Royals have good beat writers. Lee Judge isn't one of them.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

This explains pretty well what I have to put up with this in town.

A spiritual journey begins for Cubs fans

I'm looking for non-Cub related articles to put in this thread but they keep popping up. Get ready for a deluge of them.

Molly
Perennial All-Star

Post by Molly »

Apparently it's a big deal that some of the Cubs players and Theo Epstein live within walking distance of Wrigley.
http://www.stltoday.com/news/national/a ... 35587.html

ETA and why this should be in a St. Louis newspaper is beyond me!!

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

This is the guy that wrote that thing in the QC Times

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Searching for other stuff, I came across this, written after the Cavs won the NBA finals:

End to Cleveland's waiting puts Cubs on the clock

Yes, the Cavs winning an NBA title may help the Cubs break their curse.

Wait, does Cleveland still have an MLB team?

themiddle54
Perennial All-Star

Post by themiddle54 »

pioneer98 wrote:This explains pretty well what I have to put up with this in town.

I'm looking for non-Cub related articles to put in this thread but they keep popping up. Get ready for a deluge of them.
As far as the narrative of Cubs fans and their 'journey', I'll say this as someone living here. This is something that as a Cards fan I can't relate to. When I was coming of age as a baseball fan they won a World Series then went to 2 more in the course of the next 5 years. Except a short time, they've always been good and I've always been able to expect the best from the team. Not so much for Cubs fans, who expect the worst and hope for the best. I've talked to so many people at work and in my personal life who are living this season for a dead father or grandfather or grandmother, people for whom someone in their life--often the person who introduced them to baseball as a young person--died before they got to see the Cubs win. They're so emotionally invested and are truly carrying a generation or more worth of hope on this team. It's kind of cool, and I say that as a cold hard analytics-minded jerk who finds baseball narrative corny and useless 99% of the time.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

No, just no. Don't try to make me sympathetic to their fans because it almost worked. I will not accept that.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

themiddle54 wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:This explains pretty well what I have to put up with this in town.

As far as the narrative of Cubs fans and their 'journey', I'll say this as someone living here. This is something that as a Cards fan I can't relate to. When I was coming of age as a baseball fan they won a World Series then went to 2 more in the course of the next 5 years. Except a short time, they've always been good and I've always been able to expect the best from the team. Not so much for Cubs fans, who expect the worst and hope for the best. I've talked to so many people at work and in my personal life who are living this season for a dead father or grandfather or grandmother, people for whom someone in their life--often the person who introduced them to baseball as a young person--died before they got to see the Cubs win. They're so emotionally invested and are truly carrying a generation or more worth of hope on this team. It's kind of cool, and I say that as a cold hard analytics-minded jerk who finds baseball narrative corny and useless 99% of the time.
For those fans, yes, winning a title would be nice. And if those fans were a large representative sample of Cubs fans in general, I would be inclined to hold no ill will towards them for winning. But I'll be damned if every single Cubs fan I talk to isn't a total prick and a tool about how this season has played out and what they've done so far in October and what their odds are for the rest of the playoffs.

Perhaps you just need to be in Chicago for it to not be completely insufferable.

I realize every team has rotten eggs here and there for fans, and the Cardinals are absolutely no exception in that regard. But it sure seems like the Cubs have more than most right about now.

On one hand, I want them to win just to get it over, but then I realize that all those douche bag fans will be even more insufferable and even more bandwagon-y than they are right now. The fanfare surrounding it will be 100x worse than when Boston broke their curse in 2004.