Rant: Buying Concert Tickets

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Tim
Consider him admonished

Re: Rant: Buying Concert Tickets

Post by Tim »

go birds wrote:was able to snag 2 tix for Sturgill in the pre-sale,; gf was also able to grab a couple tix.

they go on sale today to the public at 10 am. out of curiosity, i went over the stubhub to see if some were already available--sure enough, $40 tix starting at $100 going all the way $500.

It sure is tempting to put one of our pair on the market, but i am firmly against such practice, because [expletive] those people. I will be selling mine to friends at face.
Free market. Such jerks

redbirdjazzz
Perennial All-Star

Post by redbirdjazzz »

Tim wrote:
go birds wrote:was able to snag 2 tix for Sturgill in the pre-sale,; gf was also able to grab a couple tix.

they go on sale today to the public at 10 am. out of curiosity, i went over the stubhub to see if some were already available--sure enough, $40 tix starting at $100 going all the way $500.

It sure is tempting to put one of our pair on the market, but i am firmly against such practice, because [expletive] those people. I will be selling mine to friends at face.
Free market. Such jerks
Uh, yeah. The free market has now collapsed the world economy three times (1873, 1929, 2008). What good does it actually do?

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

A guy at work has a connection and was able to get me 2 tickets for face value. I worked a deal with my older daughter (the one that is slightly less crazy for the Beatles) so that she wouldn't get her feelings hurt if I take the younger daughter. So, I will get to take Mini-Wrox-2 and she is going to love it. I can't wait!

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Looking at selling tix to Tedeschi Trucks Band that I got for Christmas and put the return toward vacation fund. Was good with the fee charged for selling but then noticed some front row tix for less than what the rest of the floor tix were selling for so I thought I'd investigate basically swapping out my tix for the front row (wife gave me the tix and really wants to go; I'm more of a save for vacation sort)
On top of the cost, 120$/ea they add $57 in fees. Holy [expletive], that's crazy.
$81 to turn one pair of tickets around. Wow.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

I just can't justify buying concert tix anymore. It's too hard to get them which artificially inflates the price for avg Joes. F that game. It would pretty much take the ghosts of Lennon an! Harrison reuniting with Paul and Ringo for me to want to go to another concert.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

lukethedrifter wrote:Looking at selling tix to Tedeschi Trucks Band that I got for Christmas and put the return toward vacation fund. Was good with the fee charged for selling but then noticed some front row tix for less than what the rest of the floor tix were selling for so I thought I'd investigate basically swapping out my tix for the front row (wife gave me the tix and really wants to go; I'm more of a save for vacation sort)
On top of the cost, 120$/ea they add $57 in fees. Holy [expletive], that's crazy.

Everyone is bailing on that concert. We had five going, but now it's just three of us.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

IMADreamer wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:Looking at selling tix to Tedeschi Trucks Band that I got for Christmas and put the return toward vacation fund. Was good with the fee charged for selling but then noticed some front row tix for less than what the rest of the floor tix were selling for so I thought I'd investigate basically swapping out my tix for the front row (wife gave me the tix and really wants to go; I'm more of a save for vacation sort)

Everyone is bailing on that concert. We had five going, but now it's just three of us.
Looks like we will end up going. Tix still listed.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

I would like to put the person who thought up "fees" for gig tickets into a cannon and fire them into the sun.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

I've had luck over the past few weeks at buying tickets at face value on pre-sale using Amex's Platinum Preferred Seating.

My parents are driving up and seeing Billy Joel with us at the end of July, and this morning I snagged tickets to see Queen in mid-July. Both concerts were on pre-sale for $97.50/person. At the end of March we're seeing Bon Jovi, which wasn't on pre-sale but still had seats available in the Amex Preferred pricing category - $77.50 each for those. All three concerts averaged $25/person in fees per ticket.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

Bob Seger in November. Tix available through Ticket Master still, in the $50 range (+ fees). Would ya?

I have always wanted to see him, but I'm not sure he's worth that much.