Rant: Buying Concert Tickets

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Re: Rant: Buying Concert Tickets

Post by IMADreamer »

There is six of us going. My credit card got well over a grand wracked up on it for that one. I'm tired of it. How is it even legal? McCartney is the last one for me. This is the modern world we live in though. There are so many people who are just a node in the chain that extracts money from people and add no value. I guess it will stop when we refuse to pay. I'm done myself. It would be kind of sweet for everyone to ban together not pay and Paul McCartney show up to an empty stadium. Maybe [expletive] would change then. It will never happen but oh well.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

went and saw mumford and sons last friday at bridgestone arena. great show--glad i spent the money on tix. probably the last arena show i will be attending though. main reason is cost, but also its just not as enjoyable as a smaller venue. good thing about nashville is there is no shortage of venues for bands to play in and most of the tickets are sold thru smaller 3rd party outlets that dont charge obscene fees. I pay between $10-$15 for a show ill enjoy more than one i pay $70 for at bridgestone.

i know most people like to hate on mumford and sons but they take measures to make sure that actual fans have access to their tickets. seems like other bands are following suit. these bands are at least self-aware.

ticketmaster, who i believe owns stubhub now, is the [expletive] devil.

ETA: it was that ticketmaster merged with livenation i was thinking of. so ticketmaster and stubhub are each the devil

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

Blame the Eagles reunion tour. Up to that point it was unheard of to pay $70 for a concert ticket. Now $75.00 will barely get you in the building.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

I will tell you this about McCarty - 4 years ago that dude outlasted us. I think we were about 4 hours in when we left, it was a Sunday night and I think we just decided we got our money's worth and wanted to beat traffic. I'm not a big concert goer - but this show was amazing. So I guess what I'm predicting is you will only cry once - you won't be disappointed in the show. Of course he's older now and who knows. I honestly don't know how the guy did it - he didn't take a break.

Secret Weapon
Perennial All-Star

Post by Secret Weapon »

Remember when you'd have to go lineup at a record store to get tickets? Those were the days

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Apparently the new economy is all about figuring out a way to set yourself up as a middle man to make money off of fees while not actually adding any value to the process for the consumer. I'm sure the companies selling tickets get a kickback or save a bunch of money but all that is just passed on to us suckers.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Secret Weapon wrote:Remember when you'd have to go lineup at a record store to get tickets? Those were the days
I used to camp out before tickets went on sale. We'd buy out tickets at the Famous Barr in Crestwood mall. We weren't supposed to park on the Crestwood mall lot, so they police said we could park in a lot on the other side of the street. We'd see a lot of the same faces for every concert. We would get there at 3 or 4 am, sharpie our line number on our hands, and then would sit around in lawn chairs and shoot the [expletive]. It worked great. We never got worse than 3rd or 4th row to any show, and we never had to pay more than $30. Maybe $40 for the biggest shows. But you could always get tickets for ~$20, no matter what. I miss those days.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

the foofighters put on a halloween show at the ryman a couple years ago for $20/ticket. that was absolutely unheard of.

sold out in mere seconds

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

jim wrote:I will tell you this about McCarty - 4 years ago that dude outlasted us. I think we were about 4 hours in when we left, it was a Sunday night and I think we just decided we got our money's worth and wanted to beat traffic. I'm not a big concert goer - but this show was amazing. So I guess what I'm predicting is you will only cry once - you won't be disappointed in the show. Of course he's older now and who knows. I honestly don't know how the guy did it - he didn't take a break.
When we saw Bruce Springsteen a couple months back, he rocked solid for 3.5 hours. No opening act, no break, just went full bore nonstop. Apparently that's how he's done concerts since the early- to mid-70s.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

was able to snag 2 tix for Sturgill in the pre-sale,; gf was also able to grab a couple tix.

they go on sale today to the public at 10 am. out of curiosity, i went over the stubhub to see if some were already available--sure enough, $40 tix starting at $100 going all the way $500.

It sure is tempting to put one of our pair on the market, but i am firmly against such practice, because [expletive] those people. I will be selling mine to friends at face.