Letting friends go, kinda feel like a jerk

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Letting friends go, kinda feel like a jerk

Post by IMADreamer »

The older I get the more I've realized the people you hang out with really influence who you are. It's been a struggle though because it means letting go of some friends. I have a group of friend, they are all nice people but they just haven't grown up. Their lives consist of partying one weekend and the next weekend partying while talking about how wasted they were the previous weekend. They all have jobs, some of them decent jobs but they aren't going anywhere. There is no drive for them to excel. No drive for something more. That's ok there is certainly nothing wrong with that. However it's not for me.

I like being around people who want to do and create and who are never satisfied. That's me. I could have easily sold my business and just went and sat on a beach somewhere for ever. I don't want to do that. I want to continue to create, expand, and do. Sometimes I don't even know what that is or what that means but I feel what it is. Last night two things happened. I, thanks to my gf, met some new people. They are doers. This one girl is amazing. She sold her first company at 25 for 9 figures. She's now focusing on her passion which I won't say what that is but it's really cool. It's a niche market and she's killing it. Meanwhile she has another related but different gig all together that's struggling some but it's going to work in the long run I'm sure. It was incredible to talk to her and we might have a bit of a project we can work on. This other couple we were hanging with is your more suburban couple. House wife and working husband, but he too is a mover. It was great talking to him. On top of that they were just great people. They weren't gossipy or sitting there complaining about their boss or work or whatever. It was a night of positive fruitful conversation and I can't wait to do it again.

Then back to my old friends. I don't really hang out with them much anyway any more. I'm not into drinking a lot and going to bars is not my thing. However I guess I ticked them off last night because I didn't go to this party they had but instead went with these other people. Today is a birthday party and we are going but I'm already sitting here thinking about how it will be the same crap. There will be the people complaining about their jobs. The girl whose always broke and doesn't know why. (It's because she drinks it all away). The girl that can't figure out why she is single, but yet she's vulgar and unstable. The loud "bro". I don't really want to hang out with these people any more. I want to hang out with the other people. The ones who are always moving forward, not looking back.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: Letting friends go, kinda feel like a jerk

Post by Freed Roger »

Those old friends could never get over getting it handed to them by the Raiders. :wink:

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Freed Roger wrote:Those old friends could never get over getting it handed to them by the Raiders. :wink:

Oh I see what you did there.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Kidding aside-old friends are great, but never stop making new ones.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

There isn't anything wrong with moving on. Sometimes people grow apart.

That said, even movers occasionally complain about their job.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

I know, quotes are lame but this one helped me move on from a toxic relationship.