Rant: Stupid Users

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Rant: Stupid Users

Post by GeddyWrox »

OMFG. I just had a call with a user that was so ridiculously horrible that I literally bashed my head on my desk several times. I've been in IT for almost 20 years. This lady takes the cake for stupidest user ever!!

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Re: Rant: Stupid Users

Post by Radbird »

GeddyWrox wrote:OMFG. I just had a call with a user that was so ridiculously horrible that I literally bashed my head on my desk several times. I've been in IT for almost 20 years. This lady takes the cake for stupidest user ever!!
Next time you talk to my sister, tell her Rad says hi.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I have a feeling that I'll be just as frustrated here in a few weeks. With our company being bought out (deal closed November 2015) we're to the point now where the sales forces and reporting is to be combined and available to account managers the first day of 2017. Well, the territories weren't finalized in time for IT to do their end. They weren't even ready for the territories anyway since they are well behind. Last week while we were all in Boston our boss was pulled into a meeting and told that we absolutely have to have something day one as opposed to the third week of January as we had been working towards based on the current state of things with IT. So... we're screwed to begin with and then on top of it all, over half of the sales reps have ZERO experience with the platform we'll be using going forward and on top of that I'm the only one on my team that has any experience with the platform prior to last week when the rest finally got some access to it.

We have two or three weeks to throw training material together, thrown together by people who have no experience with the tools, and then we'll have to let the sales reps loose on it and just sit back and pray they can understand how to navigate things. It isn't going to be pretty.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

Ugh. That's an awful scenario. That's a real lack of leadership from the IT management there. Someone's got to tell them "No. Not possible. Sorry."

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

GeddyWrox wrote:Ugh. That's an awful scenario. That's a real lack of leadership from the IT management there. Someone's got to tell them "No. Not possible. Sorry."
I definitely agree but this guy is in charge of all operations in North America so he gets what he wants. If he insists that we piece something together until the final solution is finished then we piece something together. He's already not very happy with our group as it is so I have heard that changes are most likely coming soon.

At least he'll accept a temporary solution where we manually put together the data for each rep and send it to them on a regular basis if IT fails to come through with what we require to speed up the timeline and get the new reporting systems rolled out to at least the account managers. We can easily do that today, it just means building approximately 500 different reports which then have to be manually refreshed and distributed. The process is simple but time consuming. And making it even worse, everybody in our group of nine has vacation scheduled these next two weeks. Except for me. I have more than enough vacation time left to take the rest of the year off and still lose days (we can't carry it over or get paid for it) but it's too late. From December 2007 until recently I've basically been a group of one so I'm not used to this working with other people's schedule stuff.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

FUGH. Sounds like I'd be looking elsewhere. This market is too strong for data professionals for anyone to be put in a position like that.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I've got 19 years in here and kind of want to see where this ride ends! Thankfully in all of those years this is the only time we've been put in this spot and honestly a lot of it has to do with trying to combine two massive organizations into one. Once we get through this I think everything will be just fine. I really liked the company before and this is the only actual frustration that I've had in the year since the merger so as long as it doesn't keep happening (and really we shouldn't be making these huge changes for a really, really, really long time) then I'm good.

Besides, if I left then I'd probably lose my ability to work from San Diego next winter. I came up with that idea the week after Thanksgiving to a bit too late to make it happen this year but maybe next year if I can convince the girlfriend, assuming we're still together of course. Of my group of nine I am the only on in St. Louis. Three are in San Diego, three in Boston, one in Italy and one in Germany. I don't want to winter in Boston. I don't really think I can swing Italy or Germany so San Diego for December and January sounds perfect. We already have office space and my boss is out there. As long as I don't expect them to pay for my stay there or anything like that they have no problem with it. That way I still get my baseball season, most of the hockey season including playoffs, softball league and can take the boat out on the lake and use my land there all summer. Sounds perfect to me.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

I SWEAR TO [expletive] GOD IF I KNEW I COULD GET AWAY WITH IT I WOULD PUNCH THIS [expletive] RIGHT IN HER [expletive] EYE I HATE YOU WITH THE HEAT OF A MILLION SUNS YOU STUPID DICK SUCKING WHORE

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

Sorry. I feel better now.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Somehow IT actually delivered what we needed and these first two weeks have gone rather smoothly with the roll-out and training. I'm shocked. There is still some development to be done but I haven't seen an increase in requests for data that they should be able to use the tool to get for themselves and I haven't had any questions about how to navigate the system either. Thankfully it is a rather simple tool to use and anybody who would be coming to me for help has already had at least some experience with it because we've had it available for two years now. It is all new to the people from the company which we merged with but they don't know that I even exist yet so I don't have to worry about them coming to me with questions. They'll go to the other seven people in my group that they have worked with for years prior to the merger and I can stay under the radar for now. Of the three groups that I'll be supporting going forward, I've worked with two of them for the past few years so I'll only have one new group to get acquainted with here in the near future after everything settles down. I get no reduction and pay and actually get to keep supporting my two favorite groups from before the merger (not sure about the third group I'm getting) as well as losing the territory management and compensation pieces from my job that I hated. I'm in the middle of my last round of commissions to wrap up Q4 2016 and then those two pieces are gone from my job description and they are my former boss' problem in his new group. Although I will still be working closely with him to support the three groups as a team which is good because I like him and we get along really well. 2017 is looking up for me!