Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Re: Rant: Poor Sandwich Architecture

Post by Gashouse »

Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

Post by Farewell Friends »

This is a good rant. I'm looking at Johnnie's Beef and a) getting hungry and b) wondering how all that stuff can stay in.

themiddle54
Perennial All-Star

Post by themiddle54 »

Farewell Friends wrote:This is a good rant. I'm looking at Johnnie's Beef and a) getting hungry and b) wondering how all that stuff can stay in.
You know those french rolls that are kind of gross to make a small-ish turkey sub at home? That are kind off too dense and too chewy and just too much in general for sandwich making? They're perfect for a dipped Chicago-style Italian beef for all the reasons they're wrong for anything else.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

themiddle54 wrote:
GeddyWrox wrote:How about this bad boy:
[SHOW]
Available at my buddy's newish place on Dorsett just east of 270 -- BigBabyQ

He made Ian Froeb's best 100 restaurants list and hasn't even been open a year yet.
I've had BBQ sandwiches garnished with slaw that hold together, and they are my personal baseline expectation for a sandwich like this. If the slaw is kind of wet and the 'cue is kind of saucy and the bread is not holding it all together and it slides out onto my chin and my plate and my lap then it would make my list of obnoxious sandwiches. Even if the flavors are dope.
I always eat the Big Baby sandwich with a knife and fork. I don't think it would hold together well, nor do I think he intends it to.

themiddle54
Perennial All-Star

Post by themiddle54 »

GeddyWrox wrote:
themiddle54 wrote:
GeddyWrox wrote:How about this bad boy:
[SHOW]
Available at my buddy's newish place on Dorsett just east of 270 -- BigBabyQ

He made Ian Froeb's best 100 restaurants list and hasn't even been open a year yet.
I've had BBQ sandwiches garnished with slaw that hold together, and they are my personal baseline expectation for a sandwich like this. If the slaw is kind of wet and the 'cue is kind of saucy and the bread is not holding it all together and it slides out onto my chin and my plate and my lap then it would make my list of obnoxious sandwiches. Even if the flavors are dope.
I always eat the Big Baby sandwich with a knife and fork. I don't think it would hold together well, nor do I think he intends it to.
Next time ask him to serve you the same portion, served open-faced, to see if your experience with it is better. I'll lay odds that it is better open-faced. Any sandwich that would fall under this rant--taste good but be a sloppy PITA to eat--that is instead served open-faced (and therefore technically no longer a 'sandwich') is probably pretty great and almost certainly much better than if served as an according-to-Hoyle 'sandwich.'

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Goddamn I love open-faced roasted turkey "sandwiches." Pile on the mashed potatoes and slather everything in gravy.

And queue the tummy rumbles.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

Quality rant; it's a problem you're not fully aware of until someone can put it in to words.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Sliced avocado is delicious and sounds like a great idea but causes serious problems on sandwiches.

themiddle54
Perennial All-Star

Post by themiddle54 »

haltz wrote:Sliced avocado is delicious and sounds like a great idea but causes serious problems on sandwiches.
All you have to do is mash and spread it on the bread and you're golden. One simple step and then the sandwich goes from tasty but frustrating to eat, to tasty and not frustrating to eat.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Especially frustrating when that same pantry chef is staring at a pan of guac while turning your club sandwich into an unwieldy slip n slide of avocado.